Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Oct 2, '11, 3:53 am

Religion: Catholic
Thumbs down work and Mass conflict

A couple of weeks ago I got a new job. Its mostly a weekend job, part-time, college kid job. Anyway, for foreseeable future I will be working every Saturday and Sunday 8am to 6:00. My commute is 1hr by train. I have been attending my local parish, I usually go to Saturday vigil Mass at 5:30 or Sunday 10:00. I realize it will be impossible for me to keep going to my regular church. I have been unable to find a church with Mass times before or after I work, that are close enough to get to in time. I'm not sure what to do. I go to a few weekday Masses but obviously its not the same, and I don't want to miss almost every weekend. What should I do?

Old Oct 2, '11, 4:00 am

Religion: Latin Catholic
Default Re: work and Mass conflict

I think this would be a situation in which your obligation would be abrogated.
Old Oct 2, '11, 4:18 am

YTC - you think so? I was hoping that would be the case, but I wasn't sure.
I grew up in a Church where members were encouraged to quit their jobs rather than work on a sunday (not Catholic). I know its very important to go on weekends, but if its impossible I'm hoping God will understand if I go to weekday ones for the time being...

Old Oct 2, '11, 5:21 am

I would speak to your pastor as I am sure you are not the only person who has this type of work schedule. I would not encourage you to quit over not being able to go to Mass on Sundays as that would be feasible 10-12 years ago when jobs were plentiful. Perhaps he will suggest you make it to a daily Mass or 2 per week. Only he will give the correct guidance.

I am glad you are working as a college student on the weekends as I had to do the same thing. Good luck with the job.
Old Oct 2, '11, 8:34 am

Religion: Catholic, Obl.OSB

Since you say you have a "college kid job" that implies you're near a college. Does your school have a Catholic Campus Ministry or Newman Center? Often they have Masses late on Sunday evening -- 8pm, 9pm, etc. You would be able to get to Mass even with your work schedule.

You might also check masstimes.org. Maybe there's a church you don't currently know of where the Mass schedule would work for you,

And if all else fails, I'd talk with your pastor. He might dispense you from your obligation or move it to another day.
Old Oct 2, '11, 9:19 am

Tell the people at work that you'll be a little late for work on Sunday morning since you need to attend Church. You shouldn't hope to be told that you can miss Mass because you have to work. Mass takes less than 1 hour. I worked Saturdays and Sundays for years and years and have never once missed Mass because of it. You need to find a way to make it work. Also, according to the law employers must give you the ability to practice your faith.
Old Oct 2, '11, 9:37 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Your Pastor or college Chaplain should be able to advise you best, and probably will exempt you from your Sunday obligation. Then, attending a weekday Mass instead would be a worthy effort.

The suggestion about checking Mass times in areas close to your residence or work has much merit. Sometimes there may be an early morning Sunday Mass scheduled which you could attend before work.
Old Oct 2, '11, 10:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothysis View Post
Tell the people at work that you'll be a little late for work on Sunday morning since you need to attend Church. You shouldn't hope to be told that you can miss Mass because you have to work. Mass takes less than 1 hour. I worked Saturdays and Sundays for years and years and have never once missed Mass because of it. You need to find a way to make it work. Also, according to the law employers must give you the ability to practice your faith.
Interesting. I've never been to a Sunday Mass that lasted less than one hour. Is that the norm in some areas?

Viva il Papa! Long live Pope Francis!
Old Oct 2, '11, 10:29 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by beegirl View Post
A couple of weeks ago I got a new job. Its mostly a weekend job, part-time, college kid job. Anyway, for foreseeable future I will be working every Saturday and Sunday 8am to 6:00. My commute is 1hr by train. I have been attending my local parish, I usually go to Saturday vigil Mass at 5:30 or Sunday 10:00. I realize it will be impossible for me to keep going to my regular church. I have been unable to find a church with Mass times before or after I work, that are close enough to get to in time. I'm not sure what to do. I go to a few weekday Masses but obviously its not the same, and I don't want to miss almost every weekend. What should I do?
You should talk to your priest. You need your job, especially in today's economy. Because you agreed to the schedule offered, I can't see you trying to get your boss to let you come in that late to attend Mass. After all, those were the hours you agreed to work. But over time, you might be able to switch hours with someone else. And of course, when you graduate you will probably have different jobs.

I used to work every other weekend, 6am to 6pm, both saturday and sunday. There was no business about coming in late, leaving early, or leaving for that long during a chunk of the day. I either worked the schedule or I couldn't work there. Now I have a new job (not related to scheduling), just starting tomorrow, and I don't work a weekend the whole month. Sometimes you have to do your time just like everyone else. Weekends off are popular and usually go to the employees with seniority or on rotation. That's how it is in the real world. Talk to your priest, tell him your situation and he will be able to advise you
Old Oct 2, '11, 10:34 am

Talk to your priest. He'll tell you what to do.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments