Catholic FAQ

We were unable to reach our goal for the summer but we have reached 98%
Please consider donating if you can and keep us in your prayers.

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

View Poll Results: Do you get along with your adult siblings?
I have a loving relationship with all of my adult siblings 46 52.87%
I have adult siblings that I haven't spoken with in years 17 19.54%
I have had estranged adult siblings, but we made up 8 9.20%
I have adult siblings that I am indifferent to 16 18.39%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old Oct 3, '11, 1:05 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Adult Siblings - How many are not on speaking terms?

I have 2 adult siblings, both over 45, and none of the 3 of us speak to each other.

Sibling A did something very hateful to Sibling B, I tried to solve it by sternly asking for them to make up, Sibling A and I haven't spoken in over 5 years because of this. Sibling B hasn't spoken to me in a year because of an assumed slight. I tried to make up, but it didn't take.

My take:
Sibling A, always been a flake, always acted before thinking about consequenses. Never been responsible, non-religious, free-spirit type, regularly an embarrasment.

Sibling B, divorced with kids and anti-Catholic, has always been an angry person, enjoys sending scorching emails, doesn't really care about relationships with anyone other than their kids.

My question to you is, how many of you have families where adult siblings no longer speak to some of them? Have you tried to reconcile, and how did you succeed or fail? Do any of you have adult siblings that resemble mine?

I try to teach my own kids about forgiveness, and I make them go through the steps of forgiving each other and accepting an apology, which we NEVER had to do growing up. Our parents just let the grudges go on, I guess they assumed we'd work things out.
Old Oct 3, '11, 3:26 pm

Default Re: Adult Siblings - How many are not on speaking terms?

I have an older sister (she's about 10 years older than me) with whom I haven't spoken since the end of February, and to be totally honest, have no desire to repair our relationship. She accused me, falsely, of something heartless and then proceeded to tell other members of our family that I did what she said I did - one of whom will not speak to me now.
Forgiveness has been extremely difficult for me with this. I've been in the confessional with this twice so far, because I want to forgive her but it's not happening. I think part of the problem is that I was so hurt by this because this sister and I had been so close, basically best friends for the last 25 years or so, and the fact that she thinks I could do something so horrible hurts me terribly.
I have a total of 7 siblings - 3 brothers, 4 sisters - and this particular sister has caused similar trouble in our family in the past. She can also be very controlling, make people jump through hoops so that she doesn't get mad at them and shut them out. I've decided at this point that this relationship is only toxic for me and that's why I don't want to repair it. But I do want to sincerely forgive her - our faith demands that of me. I just can't seem to get there. Prayers would be appreciated.
This is probably WAY more information than you wanted, but I apparently needed this catharsis.
Old Oct 3, '11, 4:02 pm
Book Club Member

I have one younger sister (4 years between us) and I love her to bits. Our first cousins on our mother's side, 4 boys, grew up in the same street as us and are like brothers to us. I can't imagine not getting on with them.

Dad has fallen out with various brothers over the years - we never knew which of our uncles he wasn't speaking to at any one time! However he has been reconciled with each one - usually after a serious illness has put them at death's door.

I think it is so important to at least make your peace with your siblings and wish them well even if you are daggers drawn each time you meet.

IrishRush, at least you are trying to forgive, when you have been so badly hurt I'm sure no one could expect you to instantly forgive and forget. I'll pray that one day you will be able to forgive, and that you'll get an apology.

The Legion of Mary group is now open.
Please join us.
Old Oct 3, '11, 4:16 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

I was estranged and resentful of my only sister for years and years. I thought she had ruined my life growing up and hurt our father. (She did do some pretty bad stuff.) I felt victimized. I was the "good daughter" and never asked for anything from Dad. I felt I had been ripped off.

One day, I was reading a book on boundaries and how to set them. God picked that moment to remove my resentment completely, and we reconciled and are very loving now. We're all we have, since both of our parents are gone.

I would say to pray and ask God to heal the wounds. Only God could have healed my resentments. I had tried many times to forgive my sister, but there was always that little burning splinter of anger left in my heart....God removed it, in an instant. The best miracle in my insignificant life.
Old Oct 3, '11, 4:31 pm

Religion: Catholic (duh!)

I would't know what I would do if I wasn't on speaking terms with any of my siblings.
Old Oct 3, '11, 5:39 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

I have 6 siblings. I have a loving relationship with my two sisters. I would not consider my relationships with my brothers loving but it is certainly not indifferent. Two brothers I am close to and two brothers I love but do not really have much in common with and am not real close.
Old Oct 3, '11, 5:56 pm

I have an older sister who has disowned my mother and I. I will continue to pray for her well-being and conversion, but I am relieved not to have a relationship with her.

The 3 Hail Mary's Devotion
Pious Union of St Joseph for the Suffering and Dying

Jesus, meek and humble of Heart, make my heart like unto Thine.
Old Oct 3, '11, 6:09 pm

I rarely speak to any of my three siblings. I don't view it as non-forgiveness but as having boundaries. Those boundaries were crossed once too often with screaming fits, rages, abusive and totally out of line behavior. I found out in the course of addressing this exactly what it means to be from a dysfunctional, alcoholic family, and that given family dynamics, i could expect those boundaries to be crossed again...and again. And to be told it was my fault and I deserved it.

The advice here at Catholic Answers, was actually that there is no dealing with people like this and the only answer is to put as much distance between me and them as possible.
Old Oct 3, '11, 8:07 pm

I had a very frosty relationship with my sister for years. We spoke and were civil for family holidays, but that was pretty much it. I can't even remember when the divide began or what it was about. We have reconciled in the last couple of years and I've never been happier in my life! We are very close now, and are also close with our brother. There aren't two people (excepting my children) that I would rather spend time with now.

Wasn't the scripture reading a couple of weeks ago about forgiveness? Something about how can we expect God to forgive us our sins if we can't forgive the people who have sinned against us? Perhaps you could pray for God to give you the grace to love your sisters in spite of the dysfunction in the family?
Old Oct 3, '11, 8:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by creole54 View Post
Wasn't the scripture reading a couple of weeks ago about forgiveness? Something about how can we expect God to forgive us our sins if we can't forgive the people who have sinned against us? Perhaps you could pray for God to give you the grace to love your sisters in spite of the dysfunction in the family?
Creole, I'm not sure who you're addressing, but I think forgivness and love and boundaries are all separate things. I think it's quite possible to love someone, forgive them, have compassion for them, and wish them well in life, and yet not continue to subject yourself to their abuse.

I don't spend time with my siblings because they keep crossing boundaries (and my boundaries are quite liberal, actually, and I am quite capable of overlooking quirks and irritations, and have done so a thousand times). It doesn't mean I don't love them. It means I eventually learn that if I keep sticking my hand on a hot stove, I'm going to continue to get burned, so I finally quit sticking my hand on the hot stove.
Old Oct 3, '11, 8:43 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic, Tridentine

I've never had a falling out with my brothers (one is dead now but not with him either), but I've been annoyed or disappointed with them at times.

Brother A is an anti-Catholic, heavy metal tattooist who is becoming more and more obnoxious and outspoken, but manages to maintain some amount of tact at family things. Brother B is very nice, a peacekeeper who has dropped his religion, not sure why - we don't talk about it.

It's never led to a full-on fight, though. We don't see much of each other and I get a bit down that the family is not really close, but when we do get together, we enjoy each other's company.

Mum and Dad too.
Old Oct 3, '11, 9:53 pm

Religion: Beaten-up Catholic

Not permitted to vote, but, Number 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyrood View Post
Creole, I'm not sure who you're addressing, but I think forgivness and love and boundaries are all separate things . . .
. . .and yet not continue to subject yourself to their abuse.

I don't spend time with my siblings . . .
. . . so I finally quit sticking my hand on the hot stove.
Could`ve used almost the same words: treated like a 5yo, put down in front of others. One brother`s a raging communist (under his very unpleasant spouse`s thumb), the other`s a Dawkins-like sarcastic type. Sister always thought the worst of me. Plus she`s a trendy.

Let `em live their own lives, but i won`t be part of it!
Old Oct 4, '11, 2:40 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic, latin rite

I have a brother with whom I am not especially close but we do love each other. We are not close because we live on different continents and see each other once a year or less. It is difficult to maintain a close relationship like that, at least we have not managed. I'm sure if we lived closer we would spend more time together.
Old Oct 4, '11, 5:22 am

I had been estranged from several of my siblings when my younger sister was dying of cancer many years ago. They were angry that she did not ask them to journey with her and blamed me for a lot of things. It was not their journey to go through . 2 of my brothers stood with me . One Lent, I spent in prayer and in dealing with the this resentment and isolation. It was an eye opener for me, because it made me learn how to forgive and see the pain of the loss of their sister from their perspective. It took time, but now I am in a closer relationship with all my siblings except one ( but that is another story to tell at another time) My older sister and I who never really had a good relationship to begin with have reconnected and have put many old issues to rest. I am closer to some of my siblings than others, but am grateful that we enjoy being around each other. I had to learn to forgive and then accept their forgiveness. Hard lessons, but worth every bit of the journey
Old Oct 4, '11, 5:43 am
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyrood View Post
I think it's quite possible to love someone, forgive them, have compassion for them, and wish them well in life, and yet not continue to subject yourself to their abuse.
And this is why I no longer speak to one of my sisters. Don't want to give away my age, but after many years of keeping the peace and being the one that tried to do the right thing (and probably not setting my own boundaries for them,) I came to the conclusion after one very heated blowout, that my life is too short to include people that are only causing me pain and were never really "there" for me anyway. She was not adding anything to my life, and I could not see going on for the sake of obligation only. My life is quieter and less stressed--at least on that end anyway.
"Lord Jesus, in times of trial and temptation, be my strength and consolation. Teach me not to fear the darkness, but rather draw me to your light. For it can only be in darkness that you will become my light and in your light that I may bring the light of healing to all I meet." - George Maloney
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life