Catholic FAQ


We were unable to reach our goal for the summer but we have reached 98%
Please consider donating if you can and keep us in your prayers.


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Eastern Catholicism
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #1  
Old Oct 8, '11, 3:31 pm
sidetrack's Avatar
sidetrack sidetrack is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: October 28, 2010
Posts: 743
Religion: Catholic
Default Why is it that Ukrainian Catholic priests can get married?

I'm not totally sure if the Ukrainian Catholic Church would be a branch of Eastern Catholicism but just to say me thinking it is a denomination of Eastern Catholicism is why I'm putting this here.I've heard that Ukrainian Catholic priests can get married unless they would like to rise to the rank of bishop.Is this true?.If so what historical reasons and other kinds of reasons are there for this?.Thnak you very much so for your time.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old Oct 8, '11, 3:36 pm
ciero ciero is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: September 18, 2006
Posts: 1,281
Religion: orthodox in communion with rome
Default Re: Why is it that Ukrainian Catholic priests can get married?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidetrack View Post
I'm not totally sure if the Ukrainian Catholic Church would be a branch of Eastern Catholicism but just to say me thinking it is a denomination of Eastern Catholicism is why I'm putting this here.I've heard that Ukrainian Catholic priests can get married unless they would like to rise to the rank of bishop.Is this true?.If so what historical reasons and other kinds of reasons are there for this?.Thnak you very much so for your time.
All Eastern Catholic priests can be married. Let me re phrase the question for you. Why is it Latin priests can NOT be married? A married priesthood was the universal custom of the church for almost 1000 years.

As far as the bishops go.........bishops are chosen from among the monastics, not from a group of celibate priests who want to be bishops.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old Oct 8, '11, 4:03 pm
Patchunky Patchunky is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: February 9, 2005
Posts: 1,524
Religion: Byzantine Rite Catholic
Default Re: Why is it that Ukrainian Catholic priests can get married?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidetrack View Post
.I've heard that Ukrainian Catholic priests can get married unless they would like to rise to the rank of bishop.Is this true?.
No, Ukrainian Catholic priests cannot get married, HOWEVER, Ukrainian Catholics along with many other Eastern Catholic churches ordain married men to the Holy Priesthood. There is a big difference.

Bishops are chosen from among the celebate clergy.

Hope this helps....
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old Oct 8, '11, 4:08 pm
LoyalViews's Avatar
LoyalViews LoyalViews is offline
Regular Member
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member
 
Join Date: November 11, 2009
Posts: 2,632
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Why is it that Ukrainian Catholic priests can get married?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciero View Post
Why is it Latin priests can NOT be married? A married priesthood was the universal custom of the church for almost 1000 years.
You're just drooling for someone to respond, right?
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Oct 8, '11, 4:15 pm
ciero ciero is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: September 18, 2006
Posts: 1,281
Religion: orthodox in communion with rome
Default Re: Why is it that Ukrainian Catholic priests can get married?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoyalViews View Post
You're just drooling for someone to respond, right?
Questions like this one always make me laugh.......if they only know a bit of history or even read wikipedia to get an idea of what they are talking about. Its always the Easterners who are the weirdos.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Oct 8, '11, 4:24 pm
Hesychios Hesychios is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: June 5, 2004
Posts: 11,826
Religion: Olde fashioned Christian
Smile Re: Why is it that Ukrainian Catholic priests can get married?

Hi Ciero,
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciero View Post
Questions like this one always make me laugh.......if they only know a bit of history or even read wikipedia to get an idea of what they are talking about. Its always the Easterners who are the weirdos.
In general I am in agreement.

However I am pretty sure that some synods of the western churches began to restrict optional celibacy during the first millennium. It is clear that these were regional synods meeting in local councils, and mandating celibacy not for the entire church but for the jurisdictions they represented. This practice was creeping across the west for centuries.

So one cannot say that the practice of ordaining married men was universal for the entire 1000 years. But I think one could make a strong argument that was the practice universally in the first several centuries, and (probably) in parts of the western church even out into the eight century or later.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Oct 8, '11, 8:06 pm
ciero ciero is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: September 18, 2006
Posts: 1,281
Religion: orthodox in communion with rome
Default Re: Why is it that Ukrainian Catholic priests can get married?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Hi Ciero,
In general I am in agreement.

However I am pretty sure that some synods of the western churches began to restrict optional celibacy during the first millennium. It is clear that these were regional synods meeting in local councils, and mandating celibacy not for the entire church but for the jurisdictions they represented. This practice was creeping across the west for centuries.

So one cannot say that the practice of ordaining married men was universal for the entire 1000 years. But I think one could make a strong argument that was the practice universally in the first several centuries, and (probably) in parts of the western church even out into the eight century or later.
Married priests in Scandinavia into the 1300's as well as other places. Even though bishops started to outlaw the married priesthood in the West it died hard. Many places the priest was still secretly married.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old Oct 8, '11, 8:24 pm
Hesychios Hesychios is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: June 5, 2004
Posts: 11,826
Religion: Olde fashioned Christian
Smile Re: Why is it that Ukrainian Catholic priests can get married?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciero View Post
Married priests in Scandinavia into the 1300's as well as other places. Even though bishops started to outlaw the married priesthood in the West it died hard. Many places the priest was still secretly married.
I didn't know about Scandinavia, but yes, that is true. The married priesthood died hard in the west.

And some synods were calling for clerical celibacy years after it had already been called in those particular areas, which indicates that it was not being followed. Bishops were still ordaining married men generations later.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old Oct 9, '11, 6:39 am
Diak Diak is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: January 6, 2007
Posts: 1,241
Religion: Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church
Default Re: Why is it that Ukrainian Catholic priests can get married?

Even in the time of Chaucer there were married parish priests in England (his "Reeve's Tale" is a satirical look at a priest and his daughter preparing for her marriage). Odo Rigaldus, bishop of Rouen as late as the thirteenth century in France witnesses that a "not insignificant" number of parish priests were not celibate at that late date. Ordericus Vitalis, who wrote an important ecclesiastical history in the twelfth century, was himself the son of a village priest. Henry, Archdeacon of Huntingdon was also the son of a priest and wrote the Historia Anglorum in the mid-twelfth century.

Quote:
No, Ukrainian Catholic priests cannot get married, HOWEVER, Ukrainian Catholics along with many other Eastern Catholic churches ordain married men to the Holy Priesthood. There is a big difference.

Bishops are chosen from among the celebate clergy.
Mark makes an excellent clarification here; a married UGCC man may be ordained priest but priests cannot be married after ordination. When one is ordained to major orders, namely diaconate, his state is fixed at that point, whether married or celibate.
__________________


Господи Помилуй
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old Oct 9, '11, 8:07 am
Halyna Halyna is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: July 31, 2011
Posts: 47
Default Re: Why is it that Ukrainian Catholic priests can get married?

NO! Ukrainian priests cannot marry. However, a married man (once he IS married) can become a priest.
I knew a married priest and he told me that after Seminary they had so much time that if they wanted to get married (this one had a high-school sweet heart) they could up to a certain time before ordination.
I am also close with a particular family whose father was a Ukrainian priest.
My home church now has a priest with a family.

Here's what I was always taught: Unlike Roman Catholics where the diocese and 'Rome' provided for the needs of their priests, the Eastern Rite was not so fortunate. The Holy Father did not provide a means of income. So, in the old country, when a priest was given a church, there was usually some land around the church (a farm) for that priest to support himself. And for the sake of necessity & survival he would have a family who would work the land and help support not only the family but the church as well.
Then too, in the old country, unlike in the US, a priest would travel from village to village to administer the sacraments, to have Divine Liturgy (which often times were at a person's home or even outdoors in the fields - especially the underground church), to bury the dead, to baptize (what is why when a baby was born, the father would immediately baptize the child until the priest could come), etc.

I for one am ALL FOR MARRIED PRIESTS (that is again, a married man becomes a priest, but once he is a priest he cannot marry). Have you ever confessed to a married priest? A world of difference with one who understands our every day lives as to one who tries to understand our every day lives.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old Oct 10, '11, 7:35 am
ByzKat ByzKat is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: November 4, 2009
Posts: 31
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Why is it that Ukrainian Catholic priests can get married?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diak View Post
Even in the time of Chaucer there were married parish priests in England (his "Reeve's Tale" is a satirical look at a priest and his daughter preparing for her marriage).
Father Deacon,

Take another look at the Reeve's Tale. The priest's daughter is illegitimate; there is no mention of her mother, she was raised in a nunnery, and is described as "somdel smoterlick" (somewhat sullied). The priest gave rich gifts to the miller to convince him to join their two families, even though the daughter is described of coming from "noble kin."

There is no evidence here for a married priest - quite the contrary.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old Oct 10, '11, 8:07 am
adrift adrift is offline
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: October 28, 2005
Posts: 16,835
Default Re: Why is it that Ukrainian Catholic priests can get married?

Celibacy of the Clergy
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old Oct 10, '11, 8:38 am
The Idiot The Idiot is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: January 25, 2011
Posts: 511
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Why is it that Ukrainian Catholic priests can get married?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrift View Post
with deference - what does that article have to do with the topic under discussion ?

The question was about Married Ukrainian Catholic priests - and that IS allowed .
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old Oct 10, '11, 9:09 am
Patchunky Patchunky is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: February 9, 2005
Posts: 1,524
Religion: Byzantine Rite Catholic
Default Re: Why is it that Ukrainian Catholic priests can get married?

This may be of some help....

http://youtu.be/FgjC2BXB5p8
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old Oct 10, '11, 11:16 am
adrift adrift is offline
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: October 28, 2005
Posts: 16,835
Default Re: Why is it that Ukrainian Catholic priests can get married?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Idiot View Post
with deference - what does that article have to do with the topic under discussion ?

The question was about Married Ukrainian Catholic priests - and that IS allowed .
Did you read the link?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Eastern Catholicism

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8296Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: Paula Hurworth
5059CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: Vim71
4348Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: Marla Frances
4033OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: 3DOCTORS
3848SOLITUDE
Last by: tuscany
3598Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: RJB
3256Poems and Reflections
Last by: PathWalker
3210Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: 4elise
3179Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: Amiciel
3062For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: Kellyreneeomara



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 7:06 am.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.