Catholic FAQ

We were unable to reach our goal for the summer but we have reached 98%
Please consider donating if you can and keep us in your prayers.

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Eastern Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Oct 8, '11, 3:31 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Why is it that Ukrainian Catholic priests can get married?

I'm not totally sure if the Ukrainian Catholic Church would be a branch of Eastern Catholicism but just to say me thinking it is a denomination of Eastern Catholicism is why I'm putting this here.I've heard that Ukrainian Catholic priests can get married unless they would like to rise to the rank of bishop.Is this true?.If so what historical reasons and other kinds of reasons are there for this?.Thnak you very much so for your time.
Old Oct 8, '11, 3:36 pm
Banned

Religion: orthodox in communion with rome
Default Re: Why is it that Ukrainian Catholic priests can get married?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidetrack View Post
I'm not totally sure if the Ukrainian Catholic Church would be a branch of Eastern Catholicism but just to say me thinking it is a denomination of Eastern Catholicism is why I'm putting this here.I've heard that Ukrainian Catholic priests can get married unless they would like to rise to the rank of bishop.Is this true?.If so what historical reasons and other kinds of reasons are there for this?.Thnak you very much so for your time.
All Eastern Catholic priests can be married. Let me re phrase the question for you. Why is it Latin priests can NOT be married? A married priesthood was the universal custom of the church for almost 1000 years.

As far as the bishops go.........bishops are chosen from among the monastics, not from a group of celibate priests who want to be bishops.
Old Oct 8, '11, 4:03 pm

Religion: Byzantine Rite Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidetrack View Post
.I've heard that Ukrainian Catholic priests can get married unless they would like to rise to the rank of bishop.Is this true?.
No, Ukrainian Catholic priests cannot get married, HOWEVER, Ukrainian Catholics along with many other Eastern Catholic churches ordain married men to the Holy Priesthood. There is a big difference.

Bishops are chosen from among the celebate clergy.

Hope this helps....
Old Oct 8, '11, 4:08 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciero View Post
Why is it Latin priests can NOT be married? A married priesthood was the universal custom of the church for almost 1000 years.
You're just drooling for someone to respond, right?

Old Oct 8, '11, 4:15 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoyalViews View Post
You're just drooling for someone to respond, right?
Questions like this one always make me laugh.......if they only know a bit of history or even read wikipedia to get an idea of what they are talking about. Its always the Easterners who are the weirdos.
Old Oct 8, '11, 4:24 pm
Banned

Religion: Olde fashioned Christian
Smile Re: Why is it that Ukrainian Catholic priests can get married?

Hi Ciero,
Quote:
Questions like this one always make me laugh.......if they only know a bit of history or even read wikipedia to get an idea of what they are talking about. Its always the Easterners who are the weirdos.
In general I am in agreement.

However I am pretty sure that some synods of the western churches began to restrict optional celibacy during the first millennium. It is clear that these were regional synods meeting in local councils, and mandating celibacy not for the entire church but for the jurisdictions they represented. This practice was creeping across the west for centuries.

So one cannot say that the practice of ordaining married men was universal for the entire 1000 years. But I think one could make a strong argument that was the practice universally in the first several centuries, and (probably) in parts of the western church even out into the eight century or later.
Old Oct 8, '11, 8:06 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Hi Ciero,
In general I am in agreement.

However I am pretty sure that some synods of the western churches began to restrict optional celibacy during the first millennium. It is clear that these were regional synods meeting in local councils, and mandating celibacy not for the entire church but for the jurisdictions they represented. This practice was creeping across the west for centuries.

So one cannot say that the practice of ordaining married men was universal for the entire 1000 years. But I think one could make a strong argument that was the practice universally in the first several centuries, and (probably) in parts of the western church even out into the eight century or later.
Married priests in Scandinavia into the 1300's as well as other places. Even though bishops started to outlaw the married priesthood in the West it died hard. Many places the priest was still secretly married.
Old Oct 8, '11, 8:24 pm
Banned

Religion: Olde fashioned Christian
Smile Re: Why is it that Ukrainian Catholic priests can get married?

Quote:
Married priests in Scandinavia into the 1300's as well as other places. Even though bishops started to outlaw the married priesthood in the West it died hard. Many places the priest was still secretly married.
I didn't know about Scandinavia, but yes, that is true. The married priesthood died hard in the west.

And some synods were calling for clerical celibacy years after it had already been called in those particular areas, which indicates that it was not being followed. Bishops were still ordaining married men generations later.
Old Oct 9, '11, 6:39 am

Religion: Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church

Even in the time of Chaucer there were married parish priests in England (his "Reeve's Tale" is a satirical look at a priest and his daughter preparing for her marriage). Odo Rigaldus, bishop of Rouen as late as the thirteenth century in France witnesses that a "not insignificant" number of parish priests were not celibate at that late date. Ordericus Vitalis, who wrote an important ecclesiastical history in the twelfth century, was himself the son of a village priest. Henry, Archdeacon of Huntingdon was also the son of a priest and wrote the Historia Anglorum in the mid-twelfth century.

Quote:
No, Ukrainian Catholic priests cannot get married, HOWEVER, Ukrainian Catholics along with many other Eastern Catholic churches ordain married men to the Holy Priesthood. There is a big difference.

Bishops are chosen from among the celebate clergy.
Mark makes an excellent clarification here; a married UGCC man may be ordained priest but priests cannot be married after ordination. When one is ordained to major orders, namely diaconate, his state is fixed at that point, whether married or celibate.

Господи Помилуй
Old Oct 9, '11, 8:07 am

NO! Ukrainian priests cannot marry. However, a married man (once he IS married) can become a priest.
I knew a married priest and he told me that after Seminary they had so much time that if they wanted to get married (this one had a high-school sweet heart) they could up to a certain time before ordination.
I am also close with a particular family whose father was a Ukrainian priest.
My home church now has a priest with a family.

Here's what I was always taught: Unlike Roman Catholics where the diocese and 'Rome' provided for the needs of their priests, the Eastern Rite was not so fortunate. The Holy Father did not provide a means of income. So, in the old country, when a priest was given a church, there was usually some land around the church (a farm) for that priest to support himself. And for the sake of necessity & survival he would have a family who would work the land and help support not only the family but the church as well.
Then too, in the old country, unlike in the US, a priest would travel from village to village to administer the sacraments, to have Divine Liturgy (which often times were at a person's home or even outdoors in the fields - especially the underground church), to bury the dead, to baptize (what is why when a baby was born, the father would immediately baptize the child until the priest could come), etc.

I for one am ALL FOR MARRIED PRIESTS (that is again, a married man becomes a priest, but once he is a priest he cannot marry). Have you ever confessed to a married priest? A world of difference with one who understands our every day lives as to one who tries to understand our every day lives.
Old Oct 10, '11, 7:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diak View Post
Even in the time of Chaucer there were married parish priests in England (his "Reeve's Tale" is a satirical look at a priest and his daughter preparing for her marriage).
Father Deacon,

Take another look at the Reeve's Tale. The priest's daughter is illegitimate; there is no mention of her mother, she was raised in a nunnery, and is described as "somdel smoterlick" (somewhat sullied). The priest gave rich gifts to the miller to convince him to join their two families, even though the daughter is described of coming from "noble kin."

There is no evidence here for a married priest - quite the contrary.
Old Oct 10, '11, 8:07 am
Forum Elder

Celibacy of the Clergy
Old Oct 10, '11, 8:38 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrift View Post
with deference - what does that article have to do with the topic under discussion ?

The question was about Married Ukrainian Catholic priests - and that IS allowed .
Old Oct 10, '11, 9:09 am

Religion: Byzantine Rite Catholic

This may be of some help....

http://youtu.be/FgjC2BXB5p8
Old Oct 10, '11, 11:16 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Idiot View Post
with deference - what does that article have to do with the topic under discussion ?

The question was about Married Ukrainian Catholic priests - and that IS allowed .
Did you read the link?

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Eastern Catholicism