Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Oct 10, '11, 8:22 pm
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Is the word "freaking" a vulgar word?

So my 18yr old DD posted on Facebook, "I freaking love <major league baseball player>!"

I don't like that word.

It sounds uncouth.

Just wondering if other parents find it vulgar, or am I being overly sensitive.

I get that she's 18 and can post what she wants.

But I can certainly guide her into a better choice of words.

Comments?

25 Random Things About Me

Visit my blog: 3 Minute Apologetics
Old Oct 10, '11, 8:24 pm
Banned

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Is the word "freaking" a vulgar word?

It is a toned down word for the other F word. Given the choice between the 2, I would take Freaking.
Old Oct 10, '11, 9:06 pm

"Freaking" is a euphemism.

It is not vulgar. It is not uncouth.

Old Oct 10, '11, 9:06 pm

given that plenty of 14 and 15 year olds are now using the real F word, I'd say "freaking" is pretty good, and shows that she has some hesitancy about cussing -- which I think is very respectable

I wouldn't mention it to her
Haydock's Bible commentary on John 15:14: You are my friends.-- A wonderful condescension, says St. Augustine, in our blessed Redeemer, who was God as well as man, to call such poor and sinful creatures, his friends; who, when we have done all we can, and ought, are still but unprofitable servants.
Old Oct 10, '11, 9:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catholic90 View Post
It is a toned down word for the other F word. Given the choice between the 2, I would take Freaking.
Because of that, that it is a substitution for the f--- word, I was cautioned about the use of the word in a business office environment some years ago. I was a manager, and the concerned worker delicately asked if I knew the connection. I stopped using it.

Today it is much more common (Latin defininition = vulgar, common), but I believe I heard it used yesterday on TV.

So sad.
Old Oct 10, '11, 9:09 pm

Sure, it's uncouth. It's not quite obscene, but it is definitely declasse.

You might want to point out to her that excess use of such mild expletives can result in their habitual use, so that she wouldn't even notice that she is using them until they fly out of her mouth in totally inappropriate situations. Like a job interview. That would go over like the proverbial lead balloon!

You might want to tell her that continuing to use language like this reveals a poor command of the English language. She ought to be able, as a high school graduate, to express verbally and in the written word degrees of emotional intensity without resorting to "freaking," or worse.

Should she meet such an admonition with a blank stare on her face, and especially if she persists in using such expletives, might I suggest that you buy her a couple of books for her next birthday, or for Christmas? An etiquette book and a dictionary come immediately to mind.

That ought to get the point across without resorting to "preaching"!
Old Oct 10, '11, 9:11 pm
Forum Elder
Book Club Member

It's cussing lite, and reflects a similarly poor grasp of language, IMNAAHO.

Still not worth getting energized over.
Old Oct 10, '11, 9:39 pm

Religion: catholic

I actually like to say "flippin". I used to curse *heavily*..I still slip up daily though..but am much better then before.
Old Oct 10, '11, 9:45 pm

Mentioning it to her might annoy her to the point that she might start using the full blown F word to make a point.

My sister used to use freaking all the time, my mum didn't like it, so my sister up the anti making the point that there were worse things.

Uncouth? Maybe. I'd say its a little higher class than the average swear, certainly the other F word.
Old Oct 10, '11, 9:48 pm

Religion: catholic

I wouldn't like it either. I don't think it's wrong to use it but would likely say something, but not cause a fight over it. I think it would be one of those things my kids would roll their eyes about but later see the light.
Old Oct 10, '11, 10:06 pm

My brothers and I were never allowed to say it within my mother's hearing. To her it was a substitution of the other word and therefore your "intent" to swear still existed.

As for using the f-word as retaliation for getting punished for using "freaking" my father would have murdered us in our beds.

But different families are different. I remember my jaw dropping the first time I heard my husband say the f-word to his mother. She took it in stride. I also remember talking to my in-laws and saying "We got a cr*p-ton of snow......oh, pardon me, I meant "a lot." My in-laws and husband started laughing and told me had I not apologized they never would have noticed what I said.

But considering that Facebook is so public and some employers and colleges do look at the pages she probably wants to clean up her language a bit.
Old Oct 10, '11, 10:12 pm

I agree with "uncouth but not vulgar." I used to cuss a blue streak years ago, especially after hanging out with a coworker whose language would make the most hardened sailor blush. "Freaking" is one of the euphemisms I've traded in for. My daughters have taken a bit of a liking to it, but they don't use it too often. Interestingly enough, my oldest daughter got in trouble last year for using it in a paper, which is a big change from the A-grade paper my son's one friend showed me in 8th grade that was loaded with full-blown, non-euphemized cuss words.
Old Oct 10, '11, 10:25 pm

Religion: Byzantine Catholic

It's along the same vein as saying "darn". The person saying it knows the cuss word, but is trying to keep it civil, darn it!

Put not your trust in princes, in a son of man, there is no salvation. When his breath departs, he returns to the earth, on that very day his plans perish.
Old Oct 11, '11, 4:03 am
Banned

Religion: Catholic Jellybean...yum yum

To be honest it also can be regional. Near the army base where I grew up sh*t was not a swear word. Not even a vulgar word.

In New England even the most respectable natives will declare something to be "wicked". Maybe not in a quote for a newspaper...but in daily life. Say that in Texas and youre bound to get hung.

There are also words in america like "bugger" which is an affectionate word for a small child, usually an active toddler/preschool boy. It is highly vulgar overseas. Similarly to americans fag is repulsive...but overseas it simply means cigarette.

In this case if its bad really does depend if everyone else uses it.

My only other thing to say. Your daughter is 18...leave the FB post out of it, no matter what you decide.
Old Oct 11, '11, 5:00 am

I don't like hearing it either. It wouldn't hurt to just leave it out of the conversation!

BTW I like your 25 random things. We should all do that! I agree with the one about the cheap chocolate!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life