Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Oct 20, '11, 1:35 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Tattoos and the Catholic Church?

Hello everyone. I just turned 18 and I am thinking of getting a tattoo. It would be on a place that I could easily cover (like back or ankle) but I am very much concerned about the Catholic Church's views on tattoos. Since our body's are considered the Temple of the Lord, wouldn't it be going against the Church to get one? Or are tattoos not considered bad as long as they are not obscene in nature? Please let me know. My parents are against it, because of it (I am not just asking because of them though. I certainly do not want to go against our Church's teachings). Please let me know. And thanks in advance!

God bless,

allthatisgold93
Old Oct 20, '11, 1:48 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Tattoos and the Catholic Church?

I would advise you not to do it. Use those temporary tattoos when you want to go to a party or something. No matter what you choose, there will come a day when you will loathe it and wish it gone, and it costs a TON of money and pain to get rid of a tat. They have to laser it off over time. It hurts more than the original tat and depending on the dyes you have, can take months to years to remove and a whole lotta cash.

By the way, if you chose your back...If you're female, a lot of formal dresses have no backs. Also, whether you are male or female, many companies have picnics in the summer which can include swimming. Exposing a tat may mean your boss thinks "Hmmmmm...maybe he's not the person I thought he was..." or, "Hmmmm, my best employee married a woman who has THAT on her back??"
Old Oct 20, '11, 2:03 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic, latin rite

It is not forbidden to have them. Of course, nothing obscene or anti-Christian is acceptable, but obviously that is not the issue in your case. Many people have religious tattoos that are not just decoration but have deep meaning for them.

I am a woman and I have a tattoo. I don't know if I'd get it if I could go back in time and make the decision again. But it's not a problem either. It is not visible to the world (and my husband likes it
Old Oct 20, '11, 2:41 pm

The Church has no teaching against tattoos, so it should be fine to get one as long as you make sure you think them through and they aren't anything obscene. I have some and my priest actually compliments them all the time. lol. I love mine and I will probably get more in the future. I just make sure that I think them through for about a year before I decide to get them. Next my husband and I are getting wedding band tattoos.
Old Oct 20, '11, 2:45 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contra Mundum View Post
It is not forbidden to have them. Of course, nothing obscene or anti-Christian is acceptable, but obviously that is not the issue in your case. Many people have religious tattoos that are not just decoration but have deep meaning for them.

I am a woman and I have a tattoo. I don't know if I'd get it if I could go back in time and make the decision again. But it's not a problem either. It is not visible to the world (and my husband likes it
Tattoos often have meaning to the person. Nothing wrong with a cross, etc.. Since you are seeking advice, I would recommend waiting a while to see if the urge passes. Remember that it is permanent. If you still want something, then think carefully about the design, and don't compromise on quality. I have a tattoo which the tattoo artist was in central California. Her first appt was available in three months. When I went to her studio, there was a guy from Ireland, and a guy from New York getting tattoos that day. Of the four tats I have, the ones which would done by the better artists are much nicer, especially over time. Tattoo artists often have a specialty. Consider that too.

As far as I can tell, the CC has no stance on tattoos.
Old Oct 20, '11, 2:46 pm

The church doesn't outright forbid tattoos. As long as it's not something anti-Christian or something like that, then I think a tattoo is just fine. Just keep in mind that you might not always want it, what will you do if you change your mind years from now? If it's in an inconspicuous place and easy to hide, then that might be ok even if you decide you don't want it and don't want to go through a removal procedure. Once it's done, it's stuck there. My dad got a tattoo when he was about your age, and 40 years later it hasn't faded one bit. He says that his decision to get it was a dumb teenage impulse, but it doesn't bother him to have it. It's just part of his appearance now. I know lots of other people who have tattoos that have deep meaning to them.

Also, make sure that you check out the conditions of the place that you go to get your tattoo, if you decide to get one after all. Make sure that the artist is taking the proper steps to clean the needles and so forth.
Old Oct 20, '11, 3:01 pm

"Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the LORD"
Leviticus 19:28

Look if you tattoo yourself, what impression would others get from your person?
Don't you know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit?
Look I don't currently live in the USA but I know that people there often like getting tattoos (as I am American ive been there). But even if it may seem "normal" in the US, I can tell you that im sure God doesn't want you to tattoo yourself. God created you and he loves you just the way you are. That is all you need. You don't need to get a tattoo for that.

If you think that getting a tattoo would impress others you are very wrong. Most will think you are or were in some kind of gang (Yes even if you tattoo a Rosary or Jesus on yourself just as most mexican gangs do), or an uneducated person. One can say "Well ill tattoo Christ on my Heart to show him how much I love him". Christ said that "If anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching. My Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him."

Jesus wants to make his home in you. You are Temple of the Holy Spirit. Do not tattoo yourself. I don't know what our Church says about this but I'm very sure that she doesn't recommend one to practice it. Ask yourself the following:
Generally speaking....."Do Saints tattoo themselves?" How about Priests? Nuns? I'm not saying that there may be exceptions. But generally speaking they don't. Gang members do all the time. People involved in crimes usually do.
Do you?
Old Oct 20, '11, 3:32 pm
Veteran Member

Religion: Catholic - no buts.

Not every bad idea is a sin.
Old Oct 20, '11, 3:37 pm

Religion: RCIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by manualman View Post
Old Oct 20, '11, 3:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by manualman View Post
But every sin is a bad idea....

Old Oct 20, '11, 3:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by allthatisgold93 View Post
Hello everyone. I just turned 18 and I am thinking of getting a tattoo. It would be on a place that I could easily cover (like back or ankle) but I am very much concerned about the Catholic Church's views on tattoos. Since our body's are considered the Temple of the Lord, wouldn't it be going against the Church to get one? Or are tattoos not considered bad as long as they are not obscene in nature? Please let me know. My parents are against it, because of it (I am not just asking because of them though. I certainly do not want to go against our Church's teachings). Please let me know. And thanks in advance!

God bless,

allthatisgold93
What? The body God gave you isn't good enough?

This isn't like you're repairing a clef lip or fixing the result of a bad accident.

Are you doing this out of vanity?
Old Oct 20, '11, 3:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricmat View Post
What? The body God gave you isn't good enough?
I don't think you understand the point of tattoos. They have nothing to do with devaluing the body you were given. Honestly your assumption is kind of offensive.
Old Oct 20, '11, 3:57 pm
Prayer Warrior

Well here is how I see it:
I myself don't have a tattoo and I don't really need one to prove anything really. A part of the Church says that there is nothing wrong with getting a Tattoo as long as it is related to our beliefs (Jesus, Mary, a Rosary etc). Another part of the church argues that one shouldn't tattoo himself because our Bodies are temple of the Holy Spirit and other stuff. I see people here divided in this issue really. I don't know really what is the "Official" teaching of the church regarding this. But, Why is it that I cant imagine Pope Benedict going to a tattoo shop to get a tattoo for himself? Why is it that I cant imagine St Francis of Assisi getting a tattoo of Jesus Christ?

Ultimately because one doesn't need a tattoo.

If you do would you be sinning? I don't know really. I guess it depends on what the tattoo is of. Check the other posts and see what you find.
But even if you are not sinning, my advice is: Dont get one. You don't need one.

The Rosary
El Rosario

Old Oct 20, '11, 4:03 pm

Here is a good example of a very practical reason to get a tattoo. My husband cannot wear his wedding ring at work (it can result in his finger getting stripped of it's flesh, broken fingers, or even in him loosing his finger). We decided to get wedding band tattoos, so he and I will always be able to have them on even when doing activities or work that won't allow us to wear our rings.
Old Oct 20, '11, 4:05 pm
Prayer Warrior

Note: I hope I didn't offend anyone who currently has a tattoo in my last post. I just stated my opinion regarding the question asked. I didn't say that those who have tattoos are in sin or anything like that. Just clearing things up.

The Rosary
El Rosario

Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life