Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Oct 23, '11, 3:51 am

Religion: Catholic on a journey
Default Wanting attention, a sin of pride?

Would it be sinful if one has a desire attention, for example, wanting appraisal for the way we look or the knowledge we have.
I know arrogance is definately prideful, but when would the desire for attention reach that line?
Old Oct 23, '11, 4:06 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Wanting attention, a sin of pride?

What you mention is clearly a sin of pride, if not vanity as well. If you are doing such things purely for attention then you must think you are worthy of attention - to gain attention you must be outside of the ordinary so you think you are extraordinary. That is not humble or in the image of Christ, that is pride and arrogance. I don't think it's a question of when it reaches that line, it's way past it.

Whilst there is nothing intrinsically evil about wanting to gain knowledge, why would you do so simply for the attention of men? Our lives are not to be pleasing to fellow man but to be pleasing to the Lord. Appearance is slightly blurrier. I believe you can care for your appearance without being vain but it is tricky and depends on the individual.

My blog
Old Oct 23, '11, 4:23 am

Religion: Latin Rite Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectTiming View Post
What you mention is clearly a sin of pride, if not vanity as well. If you are doing such things purely for attention then you must think you are worthy of attention - to gain attention you must be outside of the ordinary so you think you are extraordinary. That is not humble or in the image of Christ, that is pride and arrogance. I don't think it's a question of when it reaches that line, it's way past it.

Whilst there is nothing intrinsically evil about wanting to gain knowledge, why would you do so simply for the attention of men? Our lives are not to be pleasing to fellow man but to be pleasing to the Lord. Appearance is slightly blurrier. I believe you can care for your appearance without being vain but it is tricky and depends on the individual.
Good answer, worded better than I would have.
Old Oct 23, '11, 4:28 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectTiming View Post

This isnt about me personally. I know some people who like to be known for what they express.
This website I was reading: http://www.gotquestions.org/social-networking.html (Protestant website but I found this page which speaks about social network sites). It says something similar to being cautious of not becoming "Narcisstic" through the use of Facebook. I began to question, what we do when we post statuses and photos? We do want other people to sometimes see we hung out and even how we look in our photos. Not necessarily because we want to be better than others, but because we do want a little bit of attention.
Old Oct 23, '11, 7:18 am
Banned

Religion: Roman Catholic Church, Latin Rite

Quote:
Originally Posted by divinefaith View Post
Would it be sinful if one has a desire attention, for example, wanting appraisal for the way we look or the knowledge we have.
I know arrogance is definately prideful, but when would the desire for attention reach that line?

No, otherwise all actors and performers would be sinners.
On the contrary, many people who like praise have a low self-esteem and need praise to get along and to feel better.
Old Oct 23, '11, 7:36 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
This isnt about me personally. I know some people who like to be known for what they express.
This website I was reading: http://www.gotquestions.org/social-networking.html (Protestant website but I found this page which speaks about social network sites). It says something similar to being cautious of not becoming "Narcisstic" through the use of Facebook. I began to question, what we do when we post statuses and photos? We do want other people to sometimes see we hung out and even how we look in our photos. Not necessarily because we want to be better than others, but because we do want a little bit of attention.
When I said 'you' I didn't mean it specifically, I meant it as referring to people in general. English is easily vague in that respect.

Speaking for myself, I use Facebook to share things with my friends and family overseas. I have a little niece I've never met but my brother posts pictures of her online so I can see her. It's an easy way to keep in touch with people who I don't see very often.

And I would avoid gotquestions.org. I've read a lot of their articles and though there are a few decent ones in the end it is not a good site for a Catholic to be reading. It's full of complete lies about Catholicism and the obvious theological errors.

My blog
Old Oct 23, '11, 7:53 am
Book Club Member

To avoid seeking praise for ourselves is difficult but we must pray for humility and remember that Christ is the source of all good that comes through us.

I do believe that the desire for attention and praise for ourselves (rather than God) based on our knowledge, skills, looks, etc. is sinful.

IMHO facebook contains numerous moral and spiritual landmines so we have to navigate it with caution.
Old Oct 23, '11, 9:09 am

There is nothing wrong with wanting attention- it is the type of attention that a person might desire that makes it either a sin or a good.

If a person wants an affirmation that they are better than, or more important than others, then this is the sin of pride.

On the other hand, if a person simply wants to be noticed and loved, this is healthy, natural, and a great good.

Also, if one receives, and is pleased with, praise for one's good actions, this is wonderful when the person inwardly acknowledges that this praise is really due to God and not to his own intrisic merit. It is good to be humbly pleased at God's work done through us. It helps keep us on the right path. However, if the person takes credit for the good works he has done without acknowledging that all good comes from God, this is an evil.
Old Oct 23, '11, 9:53 am

Smile Re: Wanting attention, a sin of pride?

Quote:
Matthew 23
Denunciation of the Scribes and Pharisees.
a Then Jesus spoke to the crowds and to his disciples,
* saying, “The scribes and the Pharisees have taken their seat on the chair of Moses.
Therefore, do and observe all things whatsoever they tell you, but do not follow their example. For they preach but they do not practice.
b They tie up heavy burdens* [hard to carry] and lay them on people’s shoulders, but they will not lift a finger to move them.
* c All their works are performed to be seen. They widen their phylacteries and lengthen their tassels.
* d They love places of honor at banquets, seats of honor in synagogues,
greetings in marketplaces, and the salutation ‘Rabbi.’
* As for you, do not be called ‘Rabbi.’ You have but one teacher, and you are all brothers.
Call no one on earth your father; you have but one Father in heaven.
Do not be called ‘Master’; you have but one master, the Messiah.
e The greatest among you must be your servant.
f Whoever exalts himself will be humbled; but whoever humbles himself will be exalted.

* Visit My Website at: http://www.davidlgray.info/blog/
* Pray the Novena to Fr. Augustus Tolton http://www.toltonnovena.org/
Old Oct 23, '11, 9:57 am
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoooiee View Post
If a person wants an affirmation that they are better than, or more important than others, then this is the sin of pride.
Wouldn't necessarily see that as a sin in e.g. sportsmen who compete, though.
Old Oct 24, '11, 12:06 pm
Banned

Wanting to be famous, is a sign of narcissism.
When I was younger, I had this moral flaw to a big degree.
I pray that God has rid me of it.

In my case, it was an inferiority complex that led to it,
because I always felt (and often still do) that I wasn't really
worth much of anything nor capable of very much,
so I wanted to become a terrific actor and play all the leading roles.
That way I wouldn't feel so insignificant.
Sheesh, what vanity.

God bless you,
Jaypeeto4
Old Oct 24, '11, 3:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypeeto4 View Post
Wanting to be famous, is a sign of narcissism.
When I was younger, I had this moral flaw to a big degree.
I pray that God has rid me of it.

In my case, it was an inferiority complex that led to it,
because I always felt (and often still do) that I wasn't really
worth much of anything nor capable of very much,
so I wanted to become a terrific actor and play all the leading roles.
That way I wouldn't feel so insignificant.
Sheesh, what vanity.

God bless you,
Jaypeeto4
So if one has a talent they must hide it? Fame is a sign of success. It can also be a sign of low self esteem. I think the desire to be famous is the same as a desire to be rich. Its neutral unless we are arrogant about it. Isnt that still considered humility(so long as we acknowledge God and dont look down on others)?
Old Oct 24, '11, 3:11 pm

Religion: Angry but practicing Catholic

Quote:
So if one has a talent they must hide it? Fame is a sign of success
I think it's a matter of not letting your fame go to your head: it's one thing to be famous and not be a fan of being famous. It's another thing to be fishing for attention, ie. doing absurd things to get the attention of the media (Paris Hilton's antics, anyone??).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Angela: "I don't believe in the Devil."

John Constantine: "You should. He believes in you." -- "Constantine"
Old Oct 24, '11, 3:33 pm
Banned

So if one has a talent they must hide it? Fame is a sign of success.

I'm talking about a wanting, a craving, to be famous. To want to always play
the LEAD role. Yes, that is a sign of narcissism.

There are many thousands of fine, genuinely talented actors who are NOT famous
and probably never will be. They are moderately successful at their profession and in their respective communities, but they will probably never be Hollywood Stars.
A lot of it has to do with WHO you know, some very good luck, some Divine Providence (as in the case of Danny Thomas and his promise to Saint Jude) and, in too many cases, the casting-couch.

I know a few celebrities personally. Nice folks. Not at all arrogant, which is rather surprising. Many others seem to think that they are modern-day poliitical messiahs
(witness actress/theologian Cybill Shepherd calling Pope Benedict XVI a Nazi) .
Old Oct 24, '11, 8:20 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: catholic

I think I can understand the problem here. Personally, I find a need for attention. But that comes from being mentally ill and isolating myself. Basically, I don't have much to occupy myself outside of home. I took some college classes, which I stank at. But it showed me the need for being around other people. The interaction is, I believe, an ingrained need for each of us. Of course, there are those chosen few who would make great hermits. I'm not one of them.

I remember hearing, many years ago, about a study that was tried to see what language babies would develop if they never heard anyone speak. Their "basic" needs were met. They were fed, had their diapers changed and all that. But they all died by the age of one. The cause? Apparently their need for attention wasn't being met. At least, it was something along that line. These babies were in an orphanage type setting, so that they weren't completely alone. But they might as well have been. We need more than food and clean clothes. As it says in the bible, "It is not good for man to be alone."

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology