Catholic FAQ

Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life > Parenting

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Oct 27, '11, 5:01 pm
Trial Membership

Religion: catholic
Default Catholic children must go to Church

Where is it written that Catholic children must go to Church.

I have my little girl every other weekend and I am the only one who will take her to Mass.

I was told that it is a sin not to take your kids to mass

Please tell me where this is .

Thank you for your time.!
Old Oct 27, '11, 6:10 pm

Religion: Practicing Catholic
Send a message via AIM to Elizium23
Default Re: Catholic children must go to Church

Children who have not reached the age of reason and/or started receiving Holy Communion are not bound by the obligation to attend Mass on Sundays and Holy Days of Obligation. It is, of course, greatly preferable that a child who is able to behave herself for an hour should be brought to Mass to accustom her to the practice of attending the Holy Sacrifice, but there can be exceptions for a just cause, for example, if a mother must take care of young infants at home, she can also keep her other children with her.
Old Oct 27, '11, 6:29 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic

Once you make your First Communion you have to go to mass every Sunday & Holy Day of Obligation. Hope that helped!
Old Oct 27, '11, 7:07 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark32170 View Post

I have my little girl every other weekend and I am the only one who will take her to Mass.

it is written in the 3rd commandment that God commands us to keep holy the Lord's Day, which is Sunday, the day Jesus established as the Lord's day when he rose from the dead. It is written in the Gospels that Jesus gave us the Eucharist as the manner in which he choses to be worshipped. It is written in Church law that all Catholics over the age of reason should be brought to the sacrament of the Eucharist and receive communion once a year during the Easter season, and participate in Sunday Mass (or on Saturday evening where that also fulfills the obligation). So yes if your child is baptized and is old enough to prepare for first communion she is obliged to attend Mass on Sundays and Holy Days of obligation. However if she is not old enough to get to Mass herself, her parents or guardians bear the responsibility and she would have no guilt if she missed Mass because they did not bring her.
Old Oct 27, '11, 7:41 pm
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic

Quote:

Any priest or practicing Catholic will say the same thing. Nevertheless, you have asked where it is written, so I have looked it up for you.

From the Catechism of the Catholic Church

Quote:
2225 Through the grace of the sacrament of marriage, parents receive the responsibility and privilege of evangelizing their children. Parents should initiate their children at an early age into the mysteries of the faith of which they are the "first heralds" for their children. They should associate them from their tenderest years with the life of the Church.34 A wholesome family life can foster interior dispositions that are a genuine preparation for a living faith and remain a support for it throughout one's life.

2226 Education in the faith by the parents should begin in the child's earliest years. This already happens when family members help one another to grow in faith by the witness of a Christian life in keeping with the Gospel. Family catechesis precedes, accompanies, and enriches other forms of instruction in the faith. Parents have the mission of teaching their children to pray and to discover their vocation as children of God.35 The parish is the Eucharistic community and the heart of the liturgical life of Christian families; it is a privileged place for the catechesis of children and parents.
There is also #2181 on the requirement to attend Mass every Sunday

Quote:
2181 The Sunday Eucharist is the foundation and confirmation of all Christian practice. For this reason the faithful are obliged to participate in the Eucharist on days of obligation, unless excused for a serious reason (for example, illness, the care of infants) or dispensed by their own pastor. Those who deliberately fail in this obligation commit a grave sin.
These three statements together prove that parents are obliged to take their children to Sunday Mass. This is a very serious obligation, so failure to do it is a sin.

Nevertheless, your circumstances are special.

If I was in your situation I would apply these requirements less strictly, because a non-custodial parent suffers more than the usual difficulties in providing for their children, staying healthy, and enjoying their time with their children. If the other parent is making no effort to raise the child as a Catholic and attend Mass then there are even more difficulties.

I personally feel comfortable with making a decision such as "We are missing Mass this Sunday, because I am very tired and I'm taking you to a picnic this afternoon (and this is my only time with you)", providing that this is an exception, and that I have shown my children that attending Mass is "the rule".

However, since you have been told that it is a "sin" to miss Mass you may not feel comfortable with that unless you check it with a priest.

A priest is able to consider your particular circumstances and dispense you from Sunday Obligation with a general rule (eg. "try and get to 3 out of 4 Masses"), or on any particular Sunday. (see #2181 highlighted above).

Then, whenever you miss Mass for a good reason, you will have a clear conscience and be confident that you are doing the right thing by your daughter.

~ Edmundus

Last edited by Edmundus1581; Oct 27, '11 at 7:51 pm.
Old Oct 28, '11, 4:46 am

If it is a comfort, I once heard a priest say quote a study saying that in homes in which the father is a strong Catholic and the mother is anti or apathetic, children are 80% likely to practice the faith when they are adults.

I think it is because it is so apparent the paternal leadership.

I wasn't comforted by this quote because he also said that in a Catholic family in which both parents attend Mass on Sun, only 50 percent practice as a adults. And, in families in which only the mom practices, barely 20% practice.

However, since my dh joined RCIA this year, I'm feeling much happier. It's neat that my kids are seeing him making an active choice to become Catholic.

One thing you might consider doing (which is completely unnecessary) just as a spiritual practice, is going to Mass 2X on weekends in which your sweet dd can't go to Mass. You can go for her! It doesn't fulfill any obligations, but I think it would have a lot of spiritual fruit for both of you and the girl's mom. You could go to the Sat even Mass or go to another parish.

God bless!
Old Oct 28, '11, 5:24 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmundus1581 View Post
Any priest or practicing Catholic will say the same thing. Nevertheless, you have asked where it is written, so I have looked it up for you.

From the Catechism of the Catholic Church

There is also #2181 on the requirement to attend Mass every Sunday

These three statements together prove that parents are obliged to take their children to Sunday Mass. This is a very serious obligation, so failure to do it is a sin.

Nevertheless, your circumstances are special.

If I was in your situation I would apply these requirements less strictly, because a non-custodial parent suffers more than the usual difficulties in providing for their children, staying healthy, and enjoying their time with their children. If the other parent is making no effort to raise the child as a Catholic and attend Mass then there are even more difficulties.

I personally feel comfortable with making a decision such as "We are missing Mass this Sunday, because I am very tired and I'm taking you to a picnic this afternoon (and this is my only time with you)", providing that this is an exception, and that I have shown my children that attending Mass is "the rule
".

However, since you have been told that it is a "sin" to miss Mass you may not feel comfortable with that unless you check it with a priest.

A priest is able to consider your particular circumstances and dispense you from Sunday Obligation with a general rule (eg. "try and get to 3 out of 4 Masses"), or on any particular Sunday. (see #2181 highlighted above).

Then, whenever you miss Mass for a good reason, you will have a clear conscience and be confident that you are doing the right thing by your daughter.

~ Edmundus
This father's obligation is not lessened just because the girl's mother is not fulfilling hers. A picnic and time with his daughter are not valid reasons for missing Mass.

I am not quite sure why you would think that a picnic is time better spent with his daughter than Mass.
Old Oct 28, '11, 8:48 am

Quote:

It is not a sin for a child that is below the age of reason to miss mass. If a child is above the age of reason and has received first communion, there is a requirement to attend Mass every weekend.

That being said, I think it's a good idea for children below the age of reason to be brought to Mass as often as possible. For one thing, it gets the child used to behaving during a Mass. The kids learn exactly what is expected of them, and they start to develop good habits about going to Mass each week.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life > Parenting