Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Oct 31, '11, 6:40 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives
Default Re: If someone practices yoga (the spiritual way) can one be friends with them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakename View Post
If someone practices yoga (the spiritual way) can one be friends with them?
can you think of any possible reason why not?
Quote:
"Should we worry about them casting a spell on us -they are crazy devil worshipers (materially) afterall?
why don't you look up yoga, you are badly misinformed
Quote:
And yet, there are people who cast spells and one should be wary of them true?
do you really think if there were such people they would let you spot them

please why not ask a serious question since this is a serious forum
Old Oct 31, '11, 6:42 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: If someone practices yoga (the spiritual way) can one be friends with them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascalking View Post
If you believe that people casting spells are actually casting real, life changing spells that work, then don't hang out with anyone until you seek professional help!

I agree.
Old Oct 31, '11, 7:48 pm

Religion: Catholic in training

Well let me throw my in here, as I have a lot of experience with what is being talked about. I was a pagan, but not a Wiccan for 19 years of my life. I have just in the last year resided to join the Catholic Church.

1. PLEASE be friends with anybody and everybody. Do you think I was drawn into the Church because some right wing twit hit me over the head with a bible and telling me I was going to burn in hell for all time? Nope, in fact one of the reasons I always liked and respected Catholics is unlike many evangelicals, Catholics always treated me and my beliefs with respect.

2. Magick is a real thing, I am not even going to waste my time trying to prove it to anybody. If you do not believe me, please read your bible again... I am not saying it is good, and I am not saying I was right to use it, but it is very real.

3. DO NOT be afraid of anybody casting evil spells on you and cursing you, this is not the dark ages. I am not saying that there are not people out there who can and do such things, but they are very rare, and are not liked even by most people in the occult circles. Most importantly however, these only work on spiritually weak people, and yes, when a person walks in the light, "evil" witches will know this, and will run in fear if they are smart. So if you are worried about evil spells, make sure you are walking in the light and you have nothing to fear.

4. PLEASE do not show fear and run like scared kittens when you see somebody with a pentacle around their neck. One of the things that I used to get a kick out of was how many christens, mostly the evangelical types, would show open fear when they would see me with it. I used to carry a small crucifix in my pocket for just these times. When I would see somebody scared of me and my pentacle, I would pull out my crucifix and hold it up, and say something to the effect that "Your God does not scare me, yet you show fear at me? I thought your God was more powerful then me and my spirits?" and then just laugh and walk away.

5. Although I will now admit that I think witches are wrong in their beliefs, I still have many friends who are in the craft. In fact most of them have been very supportive of me joining the Church. If you see a witch in your town, say hi, and get to know them. Most of them are very nice and friendly once you show them you will respect them. If one is a jerk, you know what, I know Catholics who are jerks as well, so get over it.

6. The reasons are long and many, but I do find that when witches become Christan, most of them are drawn into the Catholic Church. In fact I might have became Catholic sooner then I did if years ago any of the Catholic friends (And as I said, I always liked Catholics as people and had a few who were my friends, both on line and in real life.) I had ever would have talked about their faith with me some and invited me to mass. I would have evangelicals ask me to go, but I always had a lot of anger and mistrust with these people because of the near constant verbal abuse they would give me, and would never go.

pax

PS If you ever do get in a friendly discussion with any witches, and the topic of your faith comes up, talk about the age of the church and the meaning of what we do. Also the symbolism of things (like holy water and getting things blessed.) A lot of witches were raised in christen homes, but never felt our faith filling at all, largely because the lack of symbolism in anything and how ugly and dry our churches were. Many of you might not agree with me, but to me it is very true, there is more in common between witchcraft and Catholicism then between Catholicism and protestantism, at least on a level of practice of the faith, and in many ways in what we believe as well.
Old Oct 31, '11, 11:10 pm

Thanks for the replies -they help. But as a tangent I will always defend the existence of magic as being the signs by which the demons and men communicate and ally with each other. These signs are the unscientific means by which natural and scientific powers can be exercised and as such they represent a path of unenlightenment established as a snare for mankind (of course preternatural powers are also involved). This is evident from history -for we all know that Simon Magus was a sorcerer who attempted to ascend into heaven but was wonderfully killed by God's power in the attempt. And it is equally evident that there many witches in the middle ages that had powers (though these powers were grossly exaggerated by popular fear). So in principle, it is totally possible that a modern simon magus could exist and if so, then I'd just like to be protected from him or his followers; a not so unreasonable attitude.
Old Nov 1, '11, 3:52 am

Religion: Catholic on a journey

Quote:
If you believe that people casting spells are actually casting real, life changing spells that work, then don't hang out with anyone until you seek professional help!
I find it funny how you make a smart and harsh comment, then right below is your signature which says "Lighten up". It kind of matches your intended message.

I think the OP really needs clarification about some spiritual issues and I agree with Puzzleannie that they could get themselves informed on this topic:
Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzleannie View Post
why don't you look up yoga, you are badly misinformed
Let's be understanding please!
Old Nov 1, '11, 5:56 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by divinefaith View Post
I find it funny how you make a smart and harsh comment, then right below is your signature which says "Lighten up". It kind of matches your intended message.

I think the OP really needs clarification about some spiritual issues and I agree with Puzzleannie that they could get themselves informed on this topic:

Let's be understanding please!
I agree. I sometimes read a question on here and think it's dumb, but I try not to show it when I answer. Treating someone like they asked a dumb question not only makes them feel bad, it discourages them from asking further questions. If the OP had not asked this question for fear of being treated like he/she was dumb, he/she would still be holding this misinformed belief.

OP, you can be friends with anyone! We don't have to only have Catholic friends. You don't have to worry about yoga practitioners "casting spells" on you. That's not what yoga spirituality is about. It's very positive. They mean well. And even if someone did intend to cast a spell on you for some reason, you don't have to worry as you are a Christian. God is infinitely more powerful than any spell someone may try to cast.

Viva il Papa! Long live Pope Francis!
Old Nov 1, '11, 6:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by anp1215 View Post
I agree. I sometimes read a question on here and think it's dumb, but I try not to show it when I answer. Treating someone like they asked a dumb question not only makes them feel bad, it discourages them from asking further questions. If the OP had not asked this question for fear of being treated like he/she was dumb, he/she would still be holding this misinformed belief.

OP, you can be friends with anyone! We don't have to only have Catholic friends. You don't have to worry about yoga practitioners "casting spells" on you. That's not what yoga spirituality is about. It's very positive. They mean well. And even if someone did intend to cast a spell on you for some reason, you don't have to worry as you are a Christian. God is infinitely more powerful than any spell someone may try to cast.
You give sound advice.

I believe some of the responses to the OP's query may be due to the fact that there was already a thread on this and other reasons.
Old Nov 1, '11, 9:13 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by severus68 View Post
You give sound advice.

I believe some of the responses to the OP's query may be due to the fact that there was already a thread on this and other reasons.
Thank you.

Viva il Papa! Long live Pope Francis!
Old Nov 2, '11, 5:02 am

Religion: Jesus Buddhist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catholic90 View Post

Really? Who? Where? Show me one cast spell that has worked. Just one.
Christians cast spells all the time.

They call it the "God-spell".
Old Nov 2, '11, 6:16 am
Banned
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic Mormon

Quote:
Thanks for the replies -they help. But as a tangent I will always defend the existence of magic as being the signs by which the demons and men communicate and ally with each other. These signs are the unscientific means by which natural and scientific powers can be exercised and as such they represent a path of unenlightenment established as a snare for mankind (of course preternatural powers are also involved). This is evident from history -for we all know that Simon Magus was a sorcerer who attempted to ascend into heaven but was wonderfully killed by God's power in the attempt. And it is equally evident that there many witches in the middle ages that had powers (though these powers were grossly exaggerated by popular fear). So in principle, it is totally possible that a modern simon magus could exist and if so, then I'd just like to be protected from him or his followers; a not so unreasonable attitude.
Do you really believe this? Really? If you believe this, why? Do you believe everything? Do you believe that pancakes can get up and dance as well?

I don't get it why people believe things that are totally delusional.
Old Nov 2, '11, 6:18 am

Religion: Jesus Buddhist

Quote:
I'd just like to be protected
Prayer helps.
Old Nov 2, '11, 4:11 pm

Quote:
Do you really believe this? Really? If you believe this, why? Do you believe everything? Do you believe that pancakes can get up and dance as well?

I don't get it why people believe things that are totally delusional.
Not totally delusional (if delusional at all).

The theoretical foundations are seen in the Summa Theologica. If ,in principle, a demon can change bodily chemicals and can incarnate, and can extract semen to inseminate women, then it would be possible, in principle, for them to do other wonders -like tell the future (imperfectly but better than us) or read the mind (again, w/the same proviso). The Catholic Encyclopedia also goes into the details of demon powers.
Old Nov 2, '11, 4:22 pm
Banned
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic Mormon

Quote:

The theoretical foundations are seen in the Summa Theologica. If ,in principle, a demon can change bodily chemicals and can incarnate, and can extract semen to inseminate women, then it would be possible, in principle, for them to do other wonders -like tell the future (imperfectly but better than us) or read the mind (again, w/the same proviso). The Catholic Encyclopedia also goes into the details of demon powers.
Um...okay.

I believe pet turkey tells me to burn things.
Old Nov 2, '11, 7:05 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
And yet, there are people who cast spells and one should be wary of them true?
You really need to have a proper talk with a priest.
Old Nov 2, '11, 7:44 pm
Banned

Quote:

If ,in principle, a demon can change bodily chemicals and can incarnate, and can extract semen to inseminate women, then it would be possible, in principle, for them to do other wonders -like tell the future (imperfectly but better than us) or read the mind (again, w/the same proviso). The Catholic Encyclopedia also goes into the details of demon powers.
You believe a demon can inseminate women? When has this ever happened?

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology