Catholic FAQ


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #1  
Old Nov 5, '11, 4:54 pm
sidetrack's Avatar
sidetrack sidetrack is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: October 28, 2010
Posts: 755
Religion: Catholic
Default Are guide dogs allowed in a Church?

I was wondering that if a person's blind could they be allowed to take their guide dog inside with them?.Thank you for your time.

Last edited by sidetrack; Nov 5, '11 at 4:56 pm. Reason: spelling mistake in the title
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old Nov 5, '11, 4:56 pm
Contra Mundum's Avatar
Contra Mundum Contra Mundum is offline
Regular Member
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: July 18, 2009
Posts: 4,978
Religion: Catholic, latin rite
Default Re: Ar guide dogs allowed in a Church?

Guide dogs are allowed in my parish. I suspect they would be allowed in churches since they help people, but it would be best to contact the parish and ask about this.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old Nov 5, '11, 5:15 pm
sugarbreak sugarbreak is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: October 4, 2008
Posts: 31
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Are guide dogs allowed in a Church?

They are allowed in my parish. We had a member that trained leader dogs so they were in Mass until they were ready to be turned over.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old Nov 5, '11, 5:19 pm
Marie5890 Marie5890 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: November 3, 2007
Posts: 6,455
Religion: catholic--embracing all universality, diversity,traditions
Default Re: Are guide dogs allowed in a Church?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidetrack View Post
I was wondering that if a person's blind could they be allowed to take their guide dog inside with them?.Thank you for your time.
Yes.
We have 2 parishioners who come with the guide dogs for Mass.
__________________
"Love without truth would be blind; truth without love would be like 'a clanging cymbal' (I Cor 13: 1)."
-- Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, Homily
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Nov 5, '11, 6:15 pm
GEddie GEddie is online now
Forum Elder
Book Club Member
 
Join Date: March 18, 2009
Posts: 50,548
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Are guide dogs allowed in a Church?

Sure. I saw one today at Mass.

ICXC NIKA
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Nov 5, '11, 6:17 pm
Kouyate42's Avatar
Kouyate42 Kouyate42 is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: April 3, 2011
Posts: 6,206
Religion: On the spiritual path...again!
Send a message via MSN to Kouyate42
Default Re: Are guide dogs allowed in a Church?

I think any church that did not, Catholic or otherwise, would find themselves with a discrimination suit on their hands if they didn't allow assistance dogs. According to the law in the UK, a person registered blind can take their dog pretty much ANYWHERE (including a place of worship).
__________________
Knight of the Holy Order of the Queen of Titan

Nothing is more dangerous than a dogmatic worldview - nothing more constraining, more blinding to innovation, more destructive of openness to novelty.
-Stephen Jay Gould

Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Nov 5, '11, 6:23 pm
Catholic90 Catholic90 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: November 12, 2004
Posts: 16,671
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Are guide dogs allowed in a Church?

Yes, guide dogs and service dogs are allowed anywhere. We have 2 parishioners who regularly are assisted by their dogs.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old Nov 5, '11, 6:30 pm
Barb3 Barb3 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: April 16, 2009
Posts: 192
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Are guide dogs allowed in a Church?

I couldn't believe this question -- of course, guide dogs are allowed in Church. In fact, we have a young man who attends the 9:00 A.M. Mass every day with his guide dog -- how could he come to Mass without the dog???
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old Nov 5, '11, 6:32 pm
Aramis Aramis is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: March 31, 2007
Posts: 8,990
Religion: Byzantine Catholic - Ruthenian Church
Default Re: Are guide dogs allowed in a Church?

In the US, the law requires that appropriately trained and liveried assistance animals be permitted anywhere that is open to the public.

Note that the assisted person is responsible for any damage or mess created by their assistance animal.

And it applies to paraplegics' monkeys or dogs; blind persons dogs or horses; deaf persons' dogs; and epileptics' alert dogs.

And yes, the courts have said the guy with the seeing-eye pony (due to his allergy to dogs) gets to take it anywhere, so long as it has the appropriate catch-bag....
__________________
Aramis
Alaskan, Catholic. Born Roman Rite, then soundly Ruthenianized.
Wikipedia: Ruthenian | Download the Ruthenian Pew Book
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old Nov 5, '11, 7:59 pm
Kielbasi Kielbasi is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: December 11, 2004
Posts: 1,575
Religion: RC
Default Re: Are guide dogs allowed in a Church?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kouyate42 View Post
I think any church that did not, Catholic or otherwise, would find themselves with a discrimination suit on their hands if they didn't allow assistance dogs. According to the law in the UK, a person registered blind can take their dog pretty much ANYWHERE (including a place of worship).
You're wrong on that here in the United States, as freedom of religion is part of our law, and if a religious organization has a religious problem with dogs, they could ban them from the building if they like.

However, that being said, Catholicism has no problems at all with guide dogs, so it still wouldn't be a problem in a Catholic church.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old Nov 6, '11, 7:16 am
Mrs Sally Mrs Sally is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: July 23, 2009
Posts: 6,057
Religion: Latin Rite Catholic
Default Re: Are guide dogs allowed in a Church?

Yes. I have even seen one at the Basilica of the Immaculate Conception.

Guide dogs are trained to behave in situations like church and other crowded places. There is no reason why they wouldn't be allowed. The person who uses a guide dog may need some assistance finding the best place to sit so that the dog has room to lie or sit also, but other than that, I can't think of any problems.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old Nov 6, '11, 7:37 am
Matthew Holford's Avatar
Matthew Holford Matthew Holford is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: August 15, 2010
Posts: 2,921
Religion: Latin Catholic
Default Re: Are guide dogs allowed in a Church?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kielbasi View Post
You're wrong on that here in the United States
See Post #9.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old Nov 6, '11, 10:34 am
centurionguard's Avatar
centurionguard centurionguard is offline
Regular Member
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: April 23, 2008
Posts: 4,361
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Are guide dogs allowed in a Church?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidetrack View Post
I was wondering that if a person's blind could they be allowed to take their guide dog inside with them?.Thank you for your time.
Yes there allowed. However its customarily expected that the person bringing their Guide Dog inform the Parish Office/Rectory so that they can inform Ushers and the Church Custodian so there's no conflict or embarrassments. I've seen this happen before and the Ushers refused the person entrance because nobody in the Parish Church administration was informed.
__________________
It takes courage to live through suffering; and it takes honesty to observe it. C. S. Lewis
To love means loving the unlovable. To forgive means pardoning the unpardonable. Faith means believing the unbelievable. Hope means hoping when everything seems hopeless.
G. K. Chesterton.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old Nov 6, '11, 1:35 pm
SMHW's Avatar
SMHW SMHW is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: June 30, 2004
Posts: 6,141
Religion: Roman Rite Catholic
Send a message via MSN to SMHW
Default Re: Are guide dogs allowed in a Church?

Quote:
Originally Posted by centurionguard View Post
I've seen this happen before and the Ushers refused the person entrance because nobody in the Parish Church administration was informed.
Yikes!
__________________
"To all of us who hold the Christian belief that God is truth, anything that is true is a fact about God, and mathematics is a branch of theology." ~Hilda Phoebe Hudson
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old Nov 6, '11, 1:42 pm
paperwight66 paperwight66 is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: August 29, 2010
Posts: 1,755
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Are guide dogs allowed in a Church?

Quote:
Originally Posted by centurionguard View Post
Yes there allowed. However its customarily expected that the person bringing their Guide Dog inform the Parish Office/Rectory so that they can inform Ushers and the Church Custodian so there's no conflict or embarrassments. I've seen this happen before and the Ushers refused the person entrance because nobody in the Parish Church administration was informed.


That's awful and surprising, Surely it's obvious when a dog is a service dog of some kind, because they wear a coloured harness or even a jacket? Why does the office need to be informed?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8443Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: jerrythetrucker
5137CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: tawny
4423Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: DesertSister62
4037OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: eschator83
3863SOLITUDE
Last by: beth40n2
3729Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: RJB
3311Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: grateful_child
3279Poems and Reflections
Last by: PathWalker
3222Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: 4elise
3107For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: flower lady



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 9:27 pm.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.