Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Jun 21, '05, 8:57 am

Religion: Catholic
Question Why are there no windows in the Kingdom Hall?

I notice that all of the Kingdom Halls (Jehovah Witness meeting places) that I have ever seen do not have windows. I have seen Kingdom Hall's in various cities and states and observed that their construction and size may be different but all had no windows......
I asked a JW co-worker about it one time but she was unable to answer the question other than to speculate that it may be to save money.
Does anyone know why?
Old Jun 21, '05, 9:37 am

Default Re: Why are there no windows in the Kingdom Hall?

I've seen Kingdom Halls both with and without windows. I asked about it one time and I believe the answer I got was - to save money.

I've heard people (whether humorously or not, I couldn't tell) speculate that they must be doing something in there that they don't want people to observe. In reality, a meeting at the Kingdom Hall is about the most straight-laced thing you would ever want to see.
Old Jun 21, '05, 10:46 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

jws pride themselves on putting up a kingdom hall in 2 days. Yes, 2 days. That time frame doesn't leave an extra minute for "extras". Like windows.
Old Jun 23, '05, 6:09 am

Hi Gang:

I get that question all of the time. I really do not know the answer to it. Both Kingdom Halls I attended on a regular basis had very few windows. I think maybe they do not want the people inside to be looking out of them. The meetings can get long and boring so perhaps they do that to decrease distractions for the people inside.

Jeff Schwehm
www.catholicxjw.com
www.cafepress.com/catholicxjw (I have some cool T-shirts with Catholic sayings on them available here.)
Old Jun 23, '05, 7:13 pm

Maybe they like to stay in darkness???
Old Jun 23, '05, 8:08 pm
Banned

Religion: Evangelical Christian
Send a message via ICQ to Ric Send a message via AIM to Ric Send a message via MSN to Ric Send a message via Yahoo to Ric
Unhappy Re: Why are there no windows in the Kingdom Hall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanka
I notice that all of the Kingdom Halls (Jehovah Witness meeting places) that I have ever seen do not have windows. I have seen Kingdom Hall's in various cities and states and observed that their construction and size may be different but all had no windows......
I asked a JW co-worker about it one time but she was unable to answer the question other than to speculate that it may be to save money.
Does anyone know why?
You know what? I've asked that very question before (even on a JW message board). I never got an answer.

The best response I ever got was that you can't throw a rock through a brick wall!
Old Jun 23, '05, 8:46 pm
Banned

Religion: catholic

I have a male cousin who is a Jehovah Witness. I asked him what they do in there behind closed doors and why I could not come to see. His answer was straight forward enough. They are counting the number of handouts distributed, totaling up the number of potential new witnesses they found, and counting money, all of which must be sent to some place in New York, I think he said, to which the Halls are accountable. Boring and tedious indeed. So I would guess they have no windows because they do not want anyone to see the absence of worship inside. They want to retain the facade of being an actual religion. I don't know. My cousin now shuns me as I was not convertible.
Old Jun 25, '05, 5:32 am
Observing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric
You know what? I've asked that very question before (even on a JW message board). I never got an answer.

The best response I ever got was that you can't throw a rock through a brick wall!
This is the same response I've gotten when I've asked friends who are JW. Sadly, it would just be too expensive to replace broken windows all the time
Old Jun 25, '05, 7:13 pm
Banned

Religion: Evangelical Christian
Send a message via ICQ to Ric Send a message via AIM to Ric Send a message via MSN to Ric Send a message via Yahoo to Ric
Wink Re: Why are there no windows in the Kingdom Hall?

I think we need to send a mole in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea
This is the same response I've gotten when I've asked friends who are JW. Sadly, it would just be too expensive to replace broken windows all the time
Old Jun 26, '05, 6:07 am
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Send a message via AIM to Katie1723
Talking Re: Why are there no windows in the Kingdom Hall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsrus
jws pride themselves on putting up a kingdom hall in 2 days. Yes, 2 days. That time frame doesn't leave an extra minute for "extras". Like windows.

The Amish put up a barn in a day.
~ Kathy ~
Old Jun 26, '05, 10:38 am

Religion: Adventist become Catholic (woohoo!)

Well, from what I understand (and this echoes what someone else posted), the real reason why they avoid having windows is vandalism. Would u have astained-glass window church if you knew your weren't liked by your neighbors, and there have been incidents of window-breaking and other forms of vandalism?.... Hence, "you can't throw a stone through a brick wall."
Old Jun 26, '05, 11:52 am

Religion: Puttin' the fun in Fundamentalism
Send a message via ICQ to Kevan Send a message via AIM to Kevan Send a message via MSN to Kevan Send a message via Yahoo to Kevan

Almost nobody ever looks in a church window and sees what happens in a service.

I'm surprised to hear that the J-dubs don't have a ready answer to this question, but I think the vandalism theory makes perfect sense. In the old days they made a lot of enemies with their obnoxious witnessing methods, not to mention their unorthodox teachings--so the JWs have a persecution mentality based on hard evidence. Remember, it isn't paranoia if they really are out to get you.

Somebody turned the outfit around and now the witnesses are taught to be nice when going door-to-door, so the old antagonism has faded radically. I'd suppose that their persecution has been reduced by 90% compared to seventy years ago

Part of that might be the climate of this age. Nobody believes much of anything any more, and they don't care much about the few things they do believe. So nobody cares what the J-dubs believe. "Eh, whatever..."
Old Jun 26, '05, 12:32 pm

Quote:
originally posred by Katie1723
The Amish put up a barn in a day.
Hi Katie,
Being from South Central PA myself, I do know this to be true. Unlike the jws though, the Amish don't have to run plumbing and electricity through the barns.
Old Jun 26, '05, 1:40 pm

Send a message via AIM to Lisa4Catholics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric
I think we need to send a mole in!
Old Jun 26, '05, 1:47 pm
Banned

Can you check and see if the Masonic lodges in your areas also have NO WINDOWS. The one in our area has no windows. I think it has the FM mark.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions