Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Nov 16, '11, 2:18 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default "Catholicism" Apologetics series on EWTN

Has anyone else watched any of the series? I'd have to say I'm very impressed. It's extremely well written, edited and presented. It also provides excellent apologetics, especially pertaining to the time period. It's also the first Catholic Apologetics series that I've ever heard of. I don't know if it's meant to be apologetic but it gives a lot of very interesting and thought-provoking arguments. I've been DVRing it and have seen 3 episodes so far. I'm thinking about picking up the set, along with the study material, and doing a bible study on it.

I just watched an episode and felt like sharing. If you haven't seen it, definitely give it a watch. It's an awesome series and Fr. Robert Barron is very charismatic and insightful.
Old Nov 16, '11, 4:30 pm
Forum Elder

Default Re: "Catholicism" Apologetics series on EWTN

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandingo View Post
Has anyone else watched any of the series? I'd have to say I'm very impressed. It's extremely well written, edited and presented. It also provides excellent apologetics, especially pertaining to the time period. It's also the first Catholic Apologetics series that I've ever heard of. I don't know if it's meant to be apologetic but it gives a lot of very interesting and thought-provoking arguments. I've been DVRing it and have seen 3 episodes so far. I'm thinking about picking up the set, along with the study material, and doing a bible study on it.

I just watched an episode and felt like sharing. If you haven't seen it, definitely give it a watch. It's an awesome series and Fr. Robert Barron is very charismatic and insightful.
Is "Catholicism" the title of the series?
Old Nov 16, '11, 4:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistle View Post
Is "Catholicism" the title of the series?
Yes. Simple and to the point.

http://wordonfire.org/The-Catholicis...ailer-New.aspx
Old Nov 16, '11, 5:05 pm
Banned

Religion: OHCAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandingo View Post

that is beautiful. Fr. Barron is so right, we have to tell the story. for too long the wrong people has been telling our story.

Fr. Barron the St Augustine of our time. I love him. He is determined to bring the beauty of the Church back to life. it is the beauty of the Church that will attract the eyes and all the senses of man back into the Church.
Old Nov 16, '11, 5:16 pm

The companion book "Catholicism: A Journey to the Heart of Faith" by Fr. Barron is very good too.
Old Nov 17, '11, 5:06 am

Religion: Coming HOME!

I have been subscribed to his youtube series WordonFire which is a must for any Christian. I just left my Protestant church and am getting ready to take RCIA and come into the Church. I will say this that Father Barron and the Catholic Channel on my xm radio has led me to question my belief system and start to ask the hard questions to the pastor of my old church. Now with the help of this site and other things many of my doubts have put to rest and I am so excited to come to the true real Church of Christ.

As for the Catholicism series I watched the for 3 episodes on PBS. The first was on Jesus and his ministry and victory, which was so amazing. The second one was on Peter and Paul which was just as good and the 3rd one was on Mary and WOW that was amazing, as a Non Catholic who always had a affection for Mary I was floored and it really caused me to make the change. I also DVR the episodes on ewtn last night. Here is a clip from his most recent youtube video http://youtu.be/carFbpDsRPI GOD Bless
Old Nov 17, '11, 5:32 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Fabulous!!!

First one I saw all the way through tied in the writings of St. Therese of Avila and St. John of the Cross.

excellent review and comments here:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/theanch...night-on-ewtn/
Old Nov 17, '11, 7:34 am

Are they going to re-air it? I missed it!
Old Nov 17, '11, 9:46 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoneyideas View Post
I have been subscribed to his youtube series WordonFire which is a must for any Christian. I just left my Protestant church and am getting ready to take RCIA and come into the Church. I will say this that Father Barron and the Catholic Channel on my xm radio has led me to question my belief system and start to ask the hard questions to the pastor of my old church. Now with the help of this site and other things many of my doubts have put to rest and I am so excited to come to the true real Church of Christ.

As for the Catholicism series I watched the for 3 episodes on PBS. The first was on Jesus and his ministry and victory, which was so amazing. The second one was on Peter and Paul which was just as good and the 3rd one was on Mary and WOW that was amazing, as a Non Catholic who always had a affection for Mary I was floored and it really caused me to make the change. I also DVR the episodes on ewtn last night. Here is a clip from his most recent youtube video http://youtu.be/carFbpDsRPI GOD Bless
That is awesome that Fr. Barron is helping with your conversion to Catholicism. I agree, the series and his videos on Youtube are absolutely incredible. He has been sorely needed in the Church for some time. Thank the Lord!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan77 View Post
Yes, it's being aired on EWTN fairly regularly. If you have a search feature on your cable box, I suggest finding it that way.
Old Nov 17, '11, 10:00 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan77 View Post
Probably will ... they played it three times last night.
Old Nov 17, '11, 10:58 am
Book Club Member

They aired the first episode last night, and I think it's on again tonight. It was beautiful. I absolutely loved every minute of it. I can't wait to see the next episode.

Scout
Old Nov 17, '11, 11:04 am

Smile Re: "Catholicism" Apologetics series on EWTN

FYI: more episodes on tonight, tomorrow and I think Saturday on EWTN. Check your local listing as they say. Here it is on at 11 pm, but well worth staying up for.

We only had three earlier in the Fall on our local PBS Channel. I think about 6 on EWTN> EXCELLENT series.

Fr. Barron today in and interview with Fr. Pacwa said he hopes it is being viewed by the second biggest church - Catholics who have fallen away or are non-practicing.

Julian of norwich
Old Nov 18, '11, 9:04 am
Prayer Warrior

Yes, we have been doing the Catholicism series for about 4 weeks now at our parish. It is extremely well done. We watch the video one week and then answer the booklet questions in small groups the next week.
Old Nov 18, '11, 10:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherman carl View Post
Yes, we have been doing the Catholicism series for about 4 weeks now at our parish. It is extremely well done. We watch the video one week and then answer the booklet questions in small groups the next week.
I really want to do that. So you do think it's well worth it? I'm really excited about this. The Church has needed something like this for some time.
Old Nov 18, '11, 3:14 pm

I didn't like Fr. Barron's other tv series on EWTN with the college students. Perhaps it's the format, or something else.

I've watched two of these episodes so far. They are sponsored on our local public television station by our diocese. What do you know about that! Some actual type of evangelization.

They say that the DVD set has more information etc. From a specifically evangelistic point of view, and from a TV series point of view, I think they could have supported the programs with additional information on a website -- kind of like the NOVA series does, for example.

I'm over 60 and my mind does not have a dvr-mode like it used to have. So, I'm not especially learning much, but I find it entertaining and relaxing to listen to this program, compared to the senseless and valueless programs on other channels.

I used to think that other Christian broadcast programs were of some value, but not any more. I want 100% Catholic broadcasting. Life is too short for anything else.

Praise God for the Catholic Church in Africa and Asia.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture