Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Nov 17, '11, 4:43 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Wearing Rosaries around your neck?

Is that permitted?
Old Nov 17, '11, 5:33 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Wearing Rosaries around your neck?

I'm confident there's no official rule against it, but it offends many good Catholics' sensibilities so I wouldn't do it.
But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness." I will rather boast most gladly of my weakness, in order that the power of Christ may dwell with me. (2 Corinthians 12:9)
Old Nov 17, '11, 5:33 pm

My grandmother used to wear a rosary around her neck. I think it's allowed as long as it's not worn as jewelry....it's not a piece of jewelry.
Old Nov 17, '11, 5:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Peony View Post
Is that permitted?
Not sure, but I think it seems improper. However, my mother gave me a rosary while I was staying with her and when I left I put it around my neck so as not to forget or misplace it. I felt it was not right, but I think I had a good reason to wear it until I got back home -- a matter of a few hours.
Old Nov 17, '11, 5:38 pm

Lightbulb Re: Wearing Rosaries around your neck?

St. Martin De Porres:

And St. Alphonsous de Ligouri also wore one around the neck.

And I know of all whole bunch of Catholics who also do. And personally I don't think anyone would burn in Hell for wearing one.

God bless

David

Are you a proud Hispanic Catholic too? Come join the group!

http://forums.catholic.com/group.php?groupid=1318
Old Nov 17, '11, 5:39 pm

Oh! I know this one! I used to work at Kauffmans Bookstore in Seattle, which is a Catholic giftshop. I used to refuse to sell rosaries to teens who would come in a buy them to wear saying it was a desecration to Our Lady. You may ask how I knew they were going to wear them, I knew because they came into the shop already wearing religious stuff inapprpropriately.
My boss researched it and said there was no church law against people wearing them so go ahead and sell them. Urgh, I didn't enjoy it but I figured Mary would overcome any fashion trend and would probably end up blessing those kids in some way.
Probably someone else here will give specifics. Excellent question. I wore my rosary around my neck (under my shirt) when my grandma was dying and I was by her bedside. I couldn't hold onto it because I busy holding her hand but atleast I knew it was there. Long answer to a short question. Sorry,
jen
Old Nov 17, '11, 5:58 pm

Religion: catholic

Shalom

Wearing the rosary is no wrong. Some devoted Catholics would love to wear it for different reasons. Some they just wear it for no reasons. I have met many people and that is what they said when I asked them. Personally I love to wear it around my neck when I am working with my 'patients'. And the reason is for protection. Sometimes I wear brown scapular and my rosary in my pocket. I always have them with me everyday for they are very powerful in my work with my 'patients' - to be precise; those who have affected by the 'power' of evil and those who are actually practicing magic. My work is to get them out of this stupid thing to save their soul.

God bless.
Old Nov 17, '11, 6:06 pm
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Religion: Orthodox w/ Reformed tendencies. Fides quaerens intellectum.
Send a message via Skype™ to Khalid

I often wear a rosary around my neck, for the protection of our Lady, the devotion and potency against sin of having the Crucifix of Christ and our Lady on the heart, and the ability to pray a decade or five at any time. I never knew or thought there to be anything even questionable, let alone offensive, about it. I would have thought of it in the same vein as a scapular. I often don't or forget to remove it and put it in "praying position" around the hand if I'm not praying rosaries before I sleep, and never gave a second thought about it being sacrilegious, if anything, proximity to the profundity of the Holy Virgin Mother of God's grace at all hours of the day (and, if I put it down, it would likely as not be lost by awakening). I need my hands free when awake (constant reading and writing) so I can't wrap it around my hand, and it seems wrong to lay it around where it will inevitably get lost (like my six inch by six inch two pound key fob) every other day.

I would put it in a pocket, but the few pockets that haven't broken open at the bottom irreparably (or re-made in duct tape) seem like they would either be filled, or even if not, the (very delicate) rosary would be damaged. Letting it pile up in the hand is enough to get the links of chain fouled up with each other, and needs to be opened and re-linked (which has probably been done so often that I can be considered the maker of the rosary by now). The rosary is exceedingly inexpensive, but, if I could afford a wire-wrapped rosary, the pockets on my slacks would be in better condition.
Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. - II Timothy 2:15

Above all things Truth beareth away the victory: ... great is Truth, mighty above all things. - III Esdras 3:12,4:41
Old Nov 17, '11, 6:10 pm

To elaborate on my previous post, whether wearing a rosary around one's neck is seen as appropriate has varied between different times and places. Italians and Hispanics seem to trend towards it more than Irish and English Catholics, for example. I don't think it's inherently disrespectful, but the custom is currently controversial at least here in the United States and so I would just stay clear of it and avoid giving offence to fellow Catholics without sufficient reason.

Also remember that wearing the rosary around one's neck can also have a gang-related connotation in some subcultures. Or, less seriously but still unappealingly, it can remind people of the heroes of the Boondock Saints movies.

I say just steer clear of the practice. Keep a rosary in your pocket and a medal or crucifix around your neck.
But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness." I will rather boast most gladly of my weakness, in order that the power of Christ may dwell with me. (2 Corinthians 12:9)
Old Nov 17, '11, 6:15 pm

It all depends on your purpose and how you wear the rosary. The rosary is a sacramental, not some good luck charm. Under NO circumstances is the rosary to be worn or treated like a piece of jewlery. Making it into some sort of fashion statement is sinful, and offensive to Catholics.

If a person wears the rosary prayerfully, respectfully, as a statement of faith, for protection against the enemy, to keep it handy for praying throughout the day, and as a constant reminder for us of our faith, then YES you may wear the rosary around your neck.
Old Nov 17, '11, 6:22 pm
Forum Elder
Book Club Member

There is nothing wrong with it. Religious Brothers, for example, often drape a larger rosary around their body; they would not do this if wearing the beads on one's body were somehow improper.

Also, at religious shops in Fatima, rosaries are sold that are designed for the neck (the cord stretches to go over your head). There is no way that religious impropriety would be countenanced in a pilgrimage point like Fatima.

God Bless and ICXC NIKA
Old Nov 17, '11, 10:18 pm
Banned

Religion: Catholic - formerly Church of Christ

I wore one around my neck in the military to keep it close to my heart and readily available. Don't care what people thought about it, because I also wore my brown scapular then as well as today. It's a sacramental. Don't let the gang members or idots prevent you from keeping a rosary close to you. Just never wear it or promote it like jewelry. That irritates me to the bones..
Old Nov 17, '11, 11:00 pm

Religion: Traditional Catholic

Of course Catholics can wear our rosaries around our necks (under our shirts etc) as a means of keeping a rosary on one's person if your pockets are unsuitable or not carrying a bag. As for those teenagers who wear them as jewellery - I don't personally have any serious issue with this practice because whatever their intention may be they are in fact displaying to the world a beautiful thing which gets some non-catholics thinking and may be even better some catholics may be reminded to say their rosary.
Old Nov 17, '11, 11:20 pm

Wearing the rosary around the neck can sometimes keep it from getting damaged, but tucked under the outer shirt. It also keeps it "at the ready" to be used and not forgotten somewhere.
Old Nov 18, '11, 6:24 am

It depends on why you are wearing it. If you are wearing it because you want to remember Our Lady, and you want to spread the devotion of the Rosary to others then it is OK. Instead of wearing it on my neck I sometimes wear it on my belt like many monks do. If you are wearing it because it's cool and you want to look like a gang banger or Lil' Wayne, then that is not OK. It is very unfortunate that the most Holy Rosary of the Blessed Virgin Mary has become a gang symbol. I am a cop and I get SO MAD when I see that! Wearing a Rosary around you neck means something different now days then it used to.

-St. Josemaria Escriva

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism