Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Nov 19, '11, 7:44 pm

Default Rotary Club?

Hi all,

I have kind of a dilemma here, and I was hoping to get some advice on the topic. I'm interested in joining my local rotary club, but I've heard some rumors and whatnot that they support abortion.

I did a bit of googling and found the following: http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/ne...ation_control/

It seems they are being protested because they support pro-abortion groups like UNICEF? I am unclear as to whether Rotary itself supports abortions.

At any rate, I'm feeling a bit frustrated. It feels like most non-religious organizations support abortions, etc. And I am really tempted to join the group, so I could get more involved in my local community (as I have just moved to a rather small town).

Is it inappropriate for a Catholic to join the Rotary club? Obviously I would never participate in activities that promote abortion or pro-abortion groups, but that might happen anyway because of things like club-dues.

I just want to do the right thing here.
Old Nov 19, '11, 7:56 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Rotary Club?

(a) You can get involved in your community without joining any "clubs".

(b) If you want to join the Rotary Club, you simply need to ask them what charities and causes they support and how the money you raise will be used.

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old Nov 20, '11, 11:43 am

the Rotary club is just like the freemasons these clubs are secret societies and you must swear oath to the club above God. I don't know that much about these clubs but I know Catholics who join are not in communion with the Catholic Church. look up why Catholics can't be freemasons/ Rotary etc. there has even been threads here on CAF about it. you could also ask a apologetic here on CAF. This is more than just a abortion issue here its about swearing oath to a secret society (cult). They may seem like clubs but there are cults.
Old Nov 20, '11, 1:50 pm
Forum Elder

Rita. Please provde proof that the Rotary requires such an oath and is anything like the society of Freemasons.

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old Nov 20, '11, 2:38 pm

I really don't care to have this fight with anyone. if you want to know more ask a priest or ask a apologetic on Catholic Answers. They would answer better than I could anyway. They don't want you to know or think itís a secret society but it is. the internet is not a best source on this subject a priest would be.
Old Nov 20, '11, 3:04 pm

I asked a apologist on CAF it will post as soon as its answered. I will post a link here on this thread when that happens. I will apologize if I'm wrong. I heard this info from my dad.
Old Nov 20, '11, 4:48 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic

Well, I think it varies from Club to club. Yes, I'd ask the local club what they support as another poster suggested.

Also, I'd ask your Parish Priest as well, if it's okay to join, though I doubt there's any obstacle.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology