Catholic FAQ

Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Nov 21, '11, 7:10 pm
Banned

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default crisis of faith

So I'm having a bit of crisis of faith here folks. With all that's going on in the Church. Abuse scandals, abortion debates, homosexual marriage, liturgy wars I'm kind of losing my faith.

It started just yesterday. I went to mass like i always did and watched the priest bless the wine/grape juice or w/e is being used for Eucharist these days.

Then this thought popped into my head; it's really crazy and it's going to make me sound like an apostate. I thought "This is a load of horse sh** this priest is a man. If I were to walk up there right now and punch him in the face he would fall over in a second in pain. There's no way he has these powers to turn wine into the blood and body of Christ. And science proves it. There's no chemical and physical change in the Eucharist when it's blessed "

Then I got even grander thoughts about Papal infallibility. I thought the pope is a man. They die just like everyone else. I even recalled a story about how some popes are in hell (the medieval ones who sold indulgences and stuff).

So now I'm finding myself questioning the validity of whether or not the Pope is perfect. I mean take Blessed Papa John Paul. He keeled over from a heart attack or something like that. if he's perfect why did he die then?

I know what your all thinking I need to go to confession because this is borderline heresy right here.

The point is I'm really confused and questioning some of the things that are essential Catholic doctrine.
Old Nov 21, '11, 7:21 pm

Default Re: crisis of faith

Dear MikeyRobbie,

What is going on in the Church is not perfect but we need to remember that the Church is divine but is made up of imperfect beings. Even St. Paul talks about this in his letters.

In terms of homosexual marriage the Catholic Church is firmly against it and is not allowed.

The priest is human but when he is at the mass he is In persona Christi. If you doubt in the real presence of our Lord in the Eucharist I suggest you read John 6. Also in Acts it says that the Apostles knew Christ in the breaking of the bread.

Papal infallibility only applies when the pope speaks as Ex cathedra (when it concerns faith or morals held by the whole Church). It does not mean the pope can do no wrong which is false since he is human and we have had some less than savory popes in the past but NONE of them ever let the Church astray in regards to faith or morals.

Overall, it seems that you still need to learn more about the faith. I encourage you to read and learn more about the faith and truly seek out the answers to your doubts. A good book I suggest is the Catechism of the Catholic Church.

I shall pray for you and your journey. Stick through it and honestly seek the answers.
Old Nov 21, '11, 9:21 pm

Religion: Catholic

Im going through kinda the same thing, i tried to make a big change in my life yesterday & then like you a thought came in to my head & i thought what if God doesnt exist, & all this change in my life is pointless. But isnt it funny that today i came accross what youre dealing with? Maybe that says something!
Old Nov 21, '11, 9:23 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
Radio Club Member

Religion: One. Holy. Catholic. Apostolic.

Why all of these doubts? Why the sudden focus on things that have nothing to do with the truth that the Church teaches? Why the disbelief in those things that require faith? You are experiencing doubts and suffering form discouragement. Look at what the devil said to Jesus during his temptation: "If you are Son of God..." Even the devil doubted! Doubt and discouragement are the devil's main weapons. I think the signs are clear that you are under spiritual attack.

Have you been receiving the Sacraments? Especially reconciliation? The burden of sin weakens us and makes us more susceptible to attack. All of the mentions of the evil one in scripture are not simply to fill the pages up. He is real. And, he wants you to lose your faith. Please speak with your priest and tell him all that you have told us.

Yes, it is a crisis of faith - and it has an ungodly source. Just know that God is infinitely more powerful and loves you infinitely more. Also know that the evil one will flee if you oppose him.

Last edited by po18guy; Nov 21, '11 at 9:35 pm.
Old Nov 21, '11, 9:24 pm

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyrobbie View Post
So I'm having a bit of crisis of faith here folks. With all that's going on in the Church. Abuse scandals, abortion debates, homosexual marriage, liturgy wars I'm kind of losing my faith.
There are always all kinds of things going on in the Church. Always have been, since the New Testament. So what?

Quote:
It started just yesterday. I went to mass like i always did and watched the priest bless the wine/grape juice or w/e is being used for Eucharist these days.
It is wine.

Quote:
... this priest is a man. If I were to walk up there right now and punch him in the face he would fall over in a second in pain. There's no way he has these powers to turn wine into the blood and body of Christ.
The Church does not claim that priests aren't men and don't feel pain. Why would physical invincibility be a requirement for consecrating the bread and wine?

Quote:
And science proves it. There's no chemical and physical change in the Eucharist when it's blessed "
How does science prove it? The Church does not claim that there is any chemical or physical change to the bread and wine, quite the opposite, in fact. The substance changes, the accidents remain.

Quote:
Then I got even grander thoughts about Papal infallibility. I thought the pope is a man. They die just like everyone else. I even recalled a story about how some popes are in hell (the medieval ones who sold indulgences and stuff).

So now I'm finding myself questioning the validity of whether or not the Pope is perfect. I mean take Blessed Papa John Paul. He keeled over from a heart attack or something like that. if he's perfect why did he die then?
Why would physical immortality be necessary for papal infallibility? The Church does not teach that the Pope is perfect.

Quote:
The point is I'm really confused and questioning some of the things that are essential Catholic doctrine.
Not all of the things that you believe to be Catholic doctrine are, in fact, Catholic doctrine. I would recommend Catholicism for Dummies (no offense intended, it really is an excellent book).
Old Nov 21, '11, 9:54 pm

Religion: Catolico

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyrobbie View Post

Then this thought popped into my head; it's really crazy and it's going to make me sound like an apostate. I thought "This is a load of horse sh** this priest is a man. If I were to walk up there right now and punch him in the face he would fall over in a second in pain. There's no way he has these powers to turn wine into the blood and body of Christ. And science proves it. There's no chemical and physical change in the Eucharist when it's blessed "

I know what your all thinking I need to go to confession because this is borderline heresy right here.

Hello Brethren,

I think you need to go back to basics in the faith, find out if they have any groups in your parish that can get you out of these thoughts. Try to be friends with the priest and get their perspective in things that bother you.

And find a priest that gives good confessions I just found a priest that does good confessions and it's great and I look forward to confessions now .

Here is a Eucharistic miracle that happened and many more are out there your just have to search for them. http://http://www.therealpresence.or.../lanciano.html

Remember Google is your friend.

God Bless may God Bless you in your journey.
Old Nov 22, '11, 12:14 am
Banned

Religion: Christian, former Catholic

Actually my friend, there is nothing wrong with you or with your sudden questioning of the faith. What is wrong here is that the abuses and scandals within the church have been tolerated for as long as they have by those in positions of authority--the priests, bishops, the pope, and yes, even the body of Christ.

While Catholics are quick to jump to the defense of their priests and religious, they need to also heed the voices of the victims who, like Jesus, were as innocent lambs led to the slaughter. It is one thing to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ, it is another thing to walk in it.

You are searching for the truth and are on the verge of finding it. All the questions that come to mind are only there because you see a disparity between what you have been taught to believe and what you see. So though you may think you have lost your mind, my friend, you have actually found it.

Some people prefer organized religions (like the Catholic church), while others lean towards a more non traditional type religion (like the Christian Pentecostal, Evangelical churches). As long as you recognize and follow Jesus as Savior and make him Lord of your life in every way, he will lead you on the path to your salvation.

In the end, it will not be about which church you belonged to or what good works you accomplished, but rather who you belonged to (Jesus Christ) and how much you loved.

Jesus Rocks
Old Nov 22, '11, 5:43 am

Not sure why we are seeing posts refer to the Holy Father as "perfect" lately? Anyways, when you lose faith in the people the Lord has appointed in His Church, the rest is sure to follow. At some point you will need to draw a line in the sand and trust again. Samson
Old Nov 22, '11, 8:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic1 View Post
Actually my friend, there is nothing wrong with you or with your sudden questioning of the faith.
I totally agree. Questioning one's faith is healthy and helps one to be brought closer to God

Quote:
What is wrong here is that the abuses and scandals within the church have been tolerated for as long as they have by those in positions of authority--the priests, bishops, the pope, and yes, even the body of Christ.
The abuses and scandals within the Church is horrible but you cannot isolate that to just the Catholic Church. Also to assume that the Popes and others in authority tolerated it is inaccurate and unjustified. Yes some knew (and they are being dealt with) but not all were aware of the situation.

Quote:
While Catholics are quick to jump to the defense of their priests and religious, they need to also heed the voices of the victims who, like Jesus, were as innocent lambs led to the slaughter.
Cryptic1, I would humbly suggest you read the statements from many Catholics especially the pope on the abuses going on within the Church. Also, the voices of the victims have been heard and are being acted on. The pope himself has even met with victims, listen to them and cried with them.

Being a Protestant/ Evangelical does not make you immune to abuses carried how. In fact Pastors have a higher rate of abuse than priests you just don't hear it since the faith community isn't global as the Catholic Church.

Quote:
You are searching for the truth and are on the verge of finding it. All the questions that come to mind are only there because you see a disparity between what you have been taught to believe and what you see. So though you may think you have lost your mind, my friend, you have actually found it.
Questioning your faith is good. Doubt is from the Devil.

There is no disparity within Christ Church He established on earth (the Catholic Church) however, outside of His Church there is too much disparity and that is why there are over 40,000 Christian denominations. Christ and His Church is not meant to be divided. Satan divides.

Quote:
Some people prefer organized religions (like the Catholic church), while others lean towards a more non traditional type religion (like the Christian Pentecostal, Evangelical churches). As long as you recognize and follow Jesus as Savior and make him Lord of your life in every way, he will lead you on the path to your salvation.

In the end, it will not be about which church you belonged to or what good works you accomplished, but rather who you belonged to (Jesus Christ) and how much you loved.
Christ established His Church on earth and gave authority to His Apostles for a reason. Christ said to Peter “And I say to thee: That thou art Peter; and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. And I will give to thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven. And whatsoever thou shalt bind upon earth, it shall be bound also in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose upon earth, it shall be loosed also in heaven. “ Matthew 16:18-19 To be outside of the Church Christ established is entering uncertain waters.

We are warned about strange teachings and the one you propose is one that was not around in the time of Christ nor for the first 1800+ years of Christianity.

Stay strong mikeyrobbie and seek the answers to your questions and pray pray pray!

God Bless you brother and do not despair!
Old Nov 22, '11, 1:54 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
Radio Club Member

Religion: One. Holy. Catholic. Apostolic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic1 View Post
Actually my friend, there is nothing wrong with you or with your sudden questioning of the faith. What is wrong here is that the abuses and scandals within the church have been tolerated for as long as they have by those in positions of authority--the priests, bishops, the pope, and yes, even the body of Christ.

While Catholics are quick to jump to the defense of their priests and religious, they need to also heed the voices of the victims who, like Jesus, were as innocent lambs led to the slaughter. It is one thing to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ, it is another thing to walk in it.

Jesus Rocks
Do you believe in the devil?
Old Nov 22, '11, 2:16 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Religion: joyfully Catholic

Mikey, where did you get the idea that the Pope is perfect?

The pope is infallible when he speaks from his position of authority on a particular issue or doctrine (speaking ex cathedra).

It is a misunderstanding of “papal infallibility” to think that everything the pope says is infallible. If the Pope says something about the weather or any other private opinion he can be wrong like everyone else.
You are confusing the pope with a god if you think he cannot personally err or should not become frail or ill.

However, we have Jesus' promise that he will not err in faith and doctrine. Jesus told the first pope, Peter, and all who follow him:
"On this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hell will not overcome it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.”

He did not say the pope would be personally perfect or he wouldn't become ill and die.
He did say that what the pope teaches will not be in error.

God bless you.
as if each person is the only loved one.
JESUS please welcome each person with love, healing, and great joy!
Thank You JESUS

Mother Mary at the wedding feast of Cana (John 2:1-12)
though JESUS protested it was not yet time for miracles
you successfully interceded with Him for a family's temporal need
please now intercede with your divine Son
for each person's temporal and spiritual needs.
Thank you Mother

JESUS please grant our prayer for this person

Catechism of the Catholic Church http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/_INDEX.HTM

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality