Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Evangelization

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Nov 28, '11, 8:58 am

Religion: Coming HOME!
Question Episcopal Confirmation vs RCIA

I posted this in a reply that really didn't belong where I did so i figured I would do it here.

Quote:
Well what about me, Infant baptized in episcopal church, I also was confirmed in the Episcopal church at age 12 and took part in the Eucharist for the 4 years I was in a Episcopal Private School but turned away only to really come to the Lord in a non Denom church a year and a half ago. When I decided to go to mass 4 weeks ago It was amazing I still remembered many things from my Childhood. So is the RCIA process going to be as full blown for me, I really didn't even think about the whole confirmation and sacraments I took part in at the Episcopal Church.
When I spoke with the RCIA director I completely forgot to mention this. I am to join a RCIA class that is already in progress this Sunday.

2 Corinthians 12 9-10 And He has said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness." Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me.
Old Nov 28, '11, 9:57 am

Religion: Catholic, Obl.OSB
Default Re: Episcopal Confirmation vs RCIA

Are you asking if Eucharist and Confirmation in the Episcopal church is recognized by the Catholic Church? The answer is no.

We recognize baptisms as long as they were done with water and the Trinitarian formula. But we don't recognize the other sacraments of initiation unless they were done in an Orthodox Church.
Old Nov 28, '11, 10:09 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Whilst your Baptism is valid, since it was done in water in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, your Confirmation is not, because Anglican Holy Orders are null due to questionable Apostolic succession in the Anglican Communion.

You cannot be Baptized a second time, but you do need to be Confirmed in the Catholic Church. If you have your original Baptism certificate, make sure your catechist gets a copy. If you do not have it, call the parish in which you were Baptised and request a letter from them certifying that you were in fact Baptized in water in the name of the Holy Trinity.

If you cannot obtain this, you will be conditionally Baptized.
Old Nov 28, '11, 10:14 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoneyideas View Post
I posted this in a reply that really didn't belong where I did so i figured I would do it here.

When I spoke with the RCIA director I completely forgot to mention this. I am to join a RCIA class that is already in progress this Sunday.
do mention it because it bears on the formation in the Christian faith you have already received but while all valid Christian baptisms are recognized by the Catholic Church, confirmation and first communion are not, since those non-Catholic denominations do not have the same understanding of those rites as sacraments, nor were they administered by authorized ministers. The way a baptized non-Catholic enters into full communion with the Catholic Church is through RCIA, respecting their baptismal status and adapted to their situation, and after due preparation, sacramental confession, profession of faith, confirmation and first reception of the Eucharist.
Old Nov 28, '11, 10:27 am

Religion: Coming HOME!

Thanks for the Info my friends. I was confused because I was reading something about Anglican being welcomed in to the Church... although I became so far away from the Church after the age of 15. Thanks again

2 Corinthians 12 9-10 And He has said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness." Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Evangelization