Catholic FAQ


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Philosophy
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #31  
Old Nov 29, '11, 11:59 pm
Kismetji's Avatar
Kismetji Kismetji is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: July 9, 2011
Posts: 260
Religion: Vaishnava
Default Re: Checkmate in 3 moves

Again, I am not saying I agree that something comes from nothing. To me this seems counterintuitive. I just don't understand, for the life of me, how anyone can be dead-certain that something cannot come from nothing. That is just presumption.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old Nov 30, '11, 12:00 am
MindOverMatter2 MindOverMatter2 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: February 12, 2010
Posts: 3,262
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Checkmate in 3 moves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismetji View Post
If nothing is the absence of everything, you cannot even say it is an absence, because that is predicating something of nothing.
.
No it is not. To speak of an absence of something is merely to symbolize the absence of a thing rather than to speak of a thing.

You are basically saying that we cannot speak of the concept of nothing unless we say that it is a thing; which is absurd.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old Nov 30, '11, 12:02 am
FurtherSuntime FurtherSuntime is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 12, 2011
Posts: 643
Religion: RC
Default Re: Checkmate in 3 moves

1...Theres no such thing as nothing to negotiate.....check
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old Nov 30, '11, 12:03 am
Kismetji's Avatar
Kismetji Kismetji is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: July 9, 2011
Posts: 260
Religion: Vaishnava
Default Re: Checkmate in 3 moves

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindOverMatter2 View Post
No it is not. To speak of an absence of something is merely to symbolize the absence of a thing rather than to speak of a thing.

You are basically saying that we cannot speak of the concept nothing unless we say that is a thing; which is absurd.
An absence of a thing is not nothing! Unicorns not existing does not mean nothing exists!

So, an absence is not nothing. Neither can you say nothing amounts to an absence. That is nonsense.

Nothing cannot even logically exist.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old Nov 30, '11, 12:05 am
MindOverMatter2 MindOverMatter2 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: February 12, 2010
Posts: 3,262
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Checkmate in 3 moves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismetji View Post
Again, I am not saying I agree that something comes from nothing. To me this seems counterintuitive.
Why is it counterintuitive?
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old Nov 30, '11, 12:06 am
Credo in Deum's Avatar
Credo in Deum Credo in Deum is offline
Regular Member
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: May 4, 2011
Posts: 1,135
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Checkmate in 3 moves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismetji View Post
Nothing cannot even logically exist.
And this is how we know something can only come from something.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old Nov 30, '11, 12:08 am
Kismetji's Avatar
Kismetji Kismetji is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: July 9, 2011
Posts: 260
Religion: Vaishnava
Default Re: Checkmate in 3 moves

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindOverMatter2 View Post
Why is it counterintuitive?
Because I've always seen something new acted upon by something on prior matter. Unless someone can show me, I don't know, some exotic matter that "poofs" into existence. Only even then I can question and open up space to assume it came from somewhere.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old Nov 30, '11, 12:08 am
Kismetji's Avatar
Kismetji Kismetji is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: July 9, 2011
Posts: 260
Religion: Vaishnava
Default Re: Checkmate in 3 moves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Credo in Deum View Post
And this is how we know something can only come from something.
Yeah, the universe always existing. LOL.

There's no reason against that, if nothing existing is a logical absurdity.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old Nov 30, '11, 12:11 am
MindOverMatter2 MindOverMatter2 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: February 12, 2010
Posts: 3,262
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Checkmate in 3 moves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismetji View Post
An absence of a thing is not nothing!


Thats what the word nothing means!! no/thing no object.

This is not difficult.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismetji View Post
Unicorns not existing does not mean nothing exists!

It means no unicorns exist. Nothing is meaningless except as a negation of things


Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismetji View Post
Nothing cannot even logically exist.

Bingo! Therefore my argument stands unrefuted.

Its surprising how you know so much about nothing when you think it will benefit you.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old Nov 30, '11, 12:12 am
FurtherSuntime FurtherSuntime is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 12, 2011
Posts: 643
Religion: RC
Default Re: Checkmate in 3 moves

Come on mate....concede ? ( intimidation
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old Nov 30, '11, 12:14 am
Kismetji's Avatar
Kismetji Kismetji is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: July 9, 2011
Posts: 260
Religion: Vaishnava
Default Re: Checkmate in 3 moves

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindOverMatter2 View Post


Thats what the word nothing means!! no/thing no object.


If that were the case, every time you used "nothing" you would be referring to the absence of something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindOverMatter2 View Post
This is not difficult.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindOverMatter2 View Post
[size="3"]
Go take a class on Quine.

[quote=MindOverMatter2;8634974]
It means no unicorns exist. Nothing is meaningless except as a negation of things
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindOverMatter2 View Post

So what's the issue with bringing in a Creator??


Bingo! Therefore my argument stands unrefuted.

Its surprising how you know so much about nothing.
Do you think I care? To both propositions?
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old Nov 30, '11, 12:16 am
Kismetji's Avatar
Kismetji Kismetji is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: July 9, 2011
Posts: 260
Religion: Vaishnava
Default Re: Checkmate in 3 moves

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurtherSuntime View Post
Come on mate....concede ? ( intimidation
I don't feel intimidated. I feel amused actually.

None of what you guys say makes any sense to me.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old Nov 30, '11, 12:18 am
MindOverMatter2 MindOverMatter2 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: February 12, 2010
Posts: 3,262
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Checkmate in 3 moves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismetji View Post
I don't feel intimidated. I feel amused actually.

None of what you guys say makes any sense to me.
Says the guy that thinks its possible for reality to come from the absence of reality.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old Nov 30, '11, 12:19 am
Kismetji's Avatar
Kismetji Kismetji is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: July 9, 2011
Posts: 260
Religion: Vaishnava
Default Re: Checkmate in 3 moves

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindOverMatter2 View Post
Says the guy that thinks its possible for reality to come from the absence of reality.
If the absence of reality entails the absence of logic, then why not?
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old Nov 30, '11, 12:20 am
Credo in Deum's Avatar
Credo in Deum Credo in Deum is offline
Regular Member
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: May 4, 2011
Posts: 1,135
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Checkmate in 3 moves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismetji View Post
Yeah, the universe always existing. LOL.

There's no reason against that, if nothing existing is a logical absurdity.
The physical sphere shows that everything must come from something. The universe is made of up of energy and therefore came from something. Only something immaterial/supernatural could be eternal.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Philosophy

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8455Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: SueZee
5143CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: UpUpAndAway
4424Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: DesertSister62
4037OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: eschator83
3863SOLITUDE
Last by: beth40n2
3735Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: RJB
3318Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: Amiciel
3282Poems and Reflections
Last by: PathWalker
3223Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: Rifester
3109For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: RevDrJBTDDPhD



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:11 am.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.