Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

View Poll Results: Do you say the Prayer to take authority?
Yes 6 14.63%
No 10 24.39%
Never new it existed 25 60.98%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 24, '05, 7:45 pm

Exclamation Prayer to take authority

Hello,
I hope someone can answer this question for me. I went to a Catholic prayer group this past week, and at the beginning of the "Charismatic" prayer group, they prayed the "Prayer to take authority" I was wondering if, we as Catholics should be saying this prayer or not? Someone told me we should not say it. Can anyone please give me an explanation. Supporting Church teaching ref. are a bonus of course.
Thank you, Chris...

Here is the text of the prayer:
In the Name of Jesus, I take authority and I bind all powers and forces of evil in the air, in the ground, in the water, in the underground, in the netherworld, in nature and in fire.
You are the Lord over the entire universe and I give You the Glory for Your creation. In Your Name I bind all demonic forces that have come against us and our families and I seal all of us in the protection of Your Precious Blood that was shed for us on the Cross.

Mary, our Mother, we seek your protection and intercession with the Sacred Heart of Jesus for us and our families, and surround us with your mantle of love to discourage the enemy.

St. Michael and our guardian Angels come defend us and our families in battle against all the evil ones that roam the earth.

In the Name of Jesus I bind and command all the powers and forces of evil to depart right now away from us, our homes and our lands. And we thank you Lord Jesus for You are a faithful and compassionate God. Amen.
Old Jun 27, '05, 10:01 pm

Religion: Catholic
Send a message via AIM to surfinpure
Default Re: Prayer to take authority

I have never heard this specific prayer, but it sounds like a Catholicized version of the standard "binding and loosing" prayer I've heard many, many, MANY times before, since I come from a Protestant Charismatic background. I believe that while the intentions of the prayer are good, unless we can demonstrate for certain that our Mother Church condones the prayer and deems it safe, it should be avoided.

Too often I have seen the laity "binding and loosing" spirits, claiming authority and whatnot. I have also seen in conjuction with these prayers a sense of spiritual pride that has led to some gross errors in judgment and some dangerous practices, including amatuer exorcisms!

The idea of spiritual authority must be defined by the Church, so that we have clarity regarding what is appropriate and what is safe.
~C.S. LEWIS
Old Jun 27, '05, 11:02 pm
Banned
Forum Supporter

Religion: catholic
Send a message via AIM to AlanFromWichita

I've never heard of it but I've heard many other things like that.

I don't see anything particularly wrong with it.

It asks in the name of Jesus, it comes against evil, which presumably means whatever the Church defines as evil. Really it's pretty generic. Talking tough and throwing Jesus' name at the devil. Whatever, I guess we like to remind ourselves He is with us.

That prayer is a bit too showy for me. It reminds me all too much of some stuff I yelled at a rock concert a couple years ago when I was very manic.

I like charismatic stuff in general, but sometimes I let others enjoy certain aspects of it better than me. If I was somewhere they prayed this, I would not have a problem joining them, though. Pretty tame, when you get right to it. It's like saying, "God protect us from evil" except you get to play like you're actually the one warning the evil that our Guy can beat up their guy. Jock mentality applied to Catholicism?

Alan
Old Jun 28, '05, 4:36 am
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

prayer to stop evil
QUESTION from sandra on May 14, 2003

Please tell me if the following prayer is allowed by a
Catholic lay person

... "In Jesus name, I command all spirits that are not of the Holy Spirit, to go immediately to the foot of the cross".

A dear friend recommends that I say this prayer whenever I feel evil around me. Thank you for your beautiful web site and God Bless.

ANSWER by John-Paul Ignatius, OLSM on May 16, 2003

Dear Mrs. Sandra:

Thank you for your kind remarks. I praise God that His work through this website is reaching people.

The prayer you listed contains what is called an "imprecatory command". In 1985 the Cardinal Ratzinger, Prefect of the Sacred Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, issues legislation restricting "imprecatory" commands to solemn exorcisms only. Thus laity and clergy are not allowed to use imprecatory commands outside of a solemn exorcism approved by the Bishop and conducted by an appointed exorcist.

Many of the ancient prayers from the Saints contain imprecatory commands. There is nothing wrong with imprecatory commands per se, but the Church has decided to restrict its use because of potential dangers and abuse.

In other words, the Church is worried about people butting heads with Satan and his demons personally.

Instead, we can edit these prayers to turn the "imprecatory" commands into "deprecatory" petitions. In this matter we do not "personally" command the devils, but ask God to command the devils for us. I know personally that I would rather God butt heads with Satan and me.

Thus, this is how we can edit your prayer to be in alignment with the Church legislation:

"In Jesus name, I ask you Father to command all spirits that are not of the Holy Spirit, to go immediately to the foot of the cross".

I would also suggest changing the last phrase. I think it is rather arrogant of man to tell God where to send the demons. Thus this is how I would make the final edit of the prayer.

"In Jesus name, I ask you Father to command all spirits that are not of the Holy Spirit, to depart from me and this place and my household and to go wherever You will them to go."

The "to depart from me and this place and my household" can be changed to fit the situation such as, "to depart from this workplace" or "to depart from this school" or "to depart from this motel and this room that we are staying". You may find many other prayers in the Spiritual Warfare Catalog linked below. God Bless,
Bro. Ignatius Mary

Old Jul 1, '05, 7:57 am

Shoshana,

I agree with you. The scriptures speak about Michael the archangel disputing with the devil about the body of Moses, and said, "May the Lord rebuke thee." (Jude 1:9)

Carole
Old Jul 1, '05, 10:21 am

Religion: Non Denominational
Send a message via AIM to Egg4christ

We were taught on a missions trip to do something similar when seeking God's direction. When we would start a prayer, they would advise us to "ask God to silence your heart, the world around you, and satan, so that only his voice remains."
I know it's not quite binding people from your home, but still requestiong Christ's power over satan.
Old Jul 1, '05, 10:46 am

Religion: Charismatic Episcopal Church

This is known in Pentecostal/Charismatic circles as spiritual warfare prayers with a Catholic twist. These were very trendy forms of prayer a decade ago and still linger in many circles today. I have never seen these to successfully achieve anything for God's Kingdom, on the contrary, have been the cause of provoking some very strong demonic attacks against those praying these types of prayers. By praying these words, one steps outside the boundaries of authority that God has established for us opening us to demonic attacks in a very severe way.

Here are the specific problems and some suggested re-wording:

1. "In the Name of Jesus, I take authority and I bind all powers and forces of evil in the air, in the ground, in the water, in the underground, in the netherworld, in nature and in fire."

WE don't have this authority. No where in scripture or tradition, are we taught to attack or take authority over demonic principalities in the air. This is a realm of warfare that God has reserved for Jesus and His angels, not us.

Suggested change: "In the Name of Jesus, we ask you, Heavenly Father, to bind all powers and forces of evil in the air, in the ground, in the water, in the underground, in the netherworld, in nature and in fire on our behalf."

2. "In the Name of Jesus I bind and command all the powers and forces of evil to depart right now away from us and our homes and our lands."

We actually do have authority over demons directly impacting oour families and homes, but NOT our lands. So just by taking the reference to "our lands" out of the prayer, we can safely exercise the authority Christ gave us.

David
Old Jul 1, '05, 3:27 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

David, you are right. When we are talking about the spirits over nations, we are talking about principalities and this would be way over our heads by far. You are asking for trouble big time. I think the lord may honor your protection because most people do not understand what they are doing most of the time.

BUT, we have no authority even over our families....we are not to use imprecatory prayers. We are to go through God, Jesus or St Michael. Never, never use 'I'.

Our holiness Benedict is changing this kind of stuff, even for exorcists in not allowing lay people to be involved. We must wait for that....there has been too much abuse in the past. Even as I was involved in an exorcism for 5 years under 2 bishops' blessing accompnying 2 priests, I never used imprecatory prayer (unless the 'devil' would call me through the victim...which was often).

This is nothing to play with....and most people do not understand that. And a lot of christians may not be 'christian' enough to effect any effect....
Old Jul 2, '05, 1:54 am
Banned

Religion: Roman Catholic

I agree

from the original prayer
Quote:
In the Name of Jesus I bind and command all the powers and forces of evil to depart right now away from us, our homes and our lands.
The Miracle Hour prayer book has an impromatur and Nihil Obstat, and does have a Spiritual Warfare Prayer, but it does not command--it only binds.

I was always uncomfortable with the phrase "report to Jesus" which I have also heard.
Old Jul 2, '05, 6:24 am
Book Club Member

I learned it from the age of 12. Wow I thought only filipino's knew it :P. It is such a cool prayer and a great help in times of trouble.
Old Jul 2, '05, 9:57 am

Question Re: Prayer to take authority

Since there are so many variations of the same basic prayer, I would like to know exactly where the prayer originated. I'm tempted to say it was born out of the Protestant Charistmatic movement, though I don't know that for certain.

Does anybody know?
~C.S. LEWIS
Old Jul 2, '05, 10:04 am
Banned

Religion: Roman Catholic

If a Prayer written by a Protestant is approved by the Catholic Church (Imprimatur & Nihil Obstat), why would it matter if it were written by a Protestant? It is their theology, not their prayer which separates them from us.

Remember the Lord's Prayer was written by a Jew.
Old Jul 2, '05, 11:17 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysty101
If a Prayer written by a Protestant is approved by the Catholic Church (Imprimatur & Nihil Obstat), why would it matter if it were written by a Protestant? It is their theology, not their prayer which separates them from us.

Remember the Lord's Prayer was written by a Jew.
I'd still like to know who wrote the prayer. And it is only one version that is approved by the Church (so far as we know), which means there are many versions floating about which are not approved.

Does anybody know the origin of these prayers?
~C.S. LEWIS
Old Jul 2, '05, 7:28 pm
Book Club Member

It was written by Fr Joseph DeGrandes BTW ppl. Also Jesus was Catholic. He accepted Himself for what He was, thus He was Catholic. Trust me.
Old Jul 2, '05, 11:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiztedseraph
It was written by Fr Joseph DeGrandes BTW ppl.
I wonder if that's the same Father Degrandes (Degrandis?) who was in the Galveston/Houston Diocese for a while. The Fr. D here was very charismatic. And I wondered about him sometimes. LOL
~C.S. LEWIS

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality