Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Nov 30, '11, 9:27 am
Veteran Member

Default When Does the Liturgical Day Start and End?

When does the liturgical day start and end?

Do I pray the mystery of the rosary for Tuesday if I have stayed up past 11:59 PM on Monday, or do I pray monday's mystery. Or is it when one goes to to sleep and wakes up again?

What about the Liturgy of the Hours? Mass? Reception of the Eucharist?

-Tim-

I Ripped My Pants
Old Nov 30, '11, 9:35 am
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic of the Latin Rite
Default Re: When Does the Liturgical Day Start and End?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimothyH View Post

Do I pray the mystery of the rosary for Tuesday if I have stayed up past 11:59 PM on Monday, or do I pray monday's mystery. Or is it when one goes to to sleep and wakes up again?

-Tim-
Erm... aren't there already two other active threads discussing this question? The most recent of which, and the one which I and the good Father David are discussing on, can be found HERE.
Old Nov 30, '11, 10:05 am

Religion: Roman Rite Catholic
Send a message via MSN to SMHW

Quote:

-Tim-
You've been referred to the discussion for liturgical purposes.

But in the case of the rosary it is actually a private devotion not a liturgical devotion. So you've got some freedom to determine what day it is for your evening rosary. However I would think that if you are including praying the rosary with liturgical prayer forms that you would want to follow the liturgical day.
Old Nov 30, '11, 12:37 pm
Banned

Religion: Latin Catholic

Sundays, solemnities, and feasts of the Lord in the General Roman Calendar celebrated on a Sunday begin with the First Evening Prayer (Vespers) of the preceding day.

All other liturgical days: feasts, memorials, and ferial days are celebrated within the confines of the calendar day.
Old Nov 30, '11, 2:11 pm

Religion: Catholic

Quote:

-Tim-
(Yes, I realize that some of this has already been posted)

Most days begin/end at Midnight.

Sundays, solemnities, and major feasts of the Lord begin at the "time of First Vespers" which is 4 PM on the evening before and end at Midnight.

For private devotions like the rosary, the mysteries of the day are only a suggestion. One is free to choose any set of mysteries.

The Church has a table of precedence for liturgical days--this is in the general norms for the calendar and is printed on the opening pages of the Roman Missal. It's also in volume one of the 4-volume Liturgy of the Hours.

When it comes to choosing the Mass, the priest is bound to follow the calendar strictly. But one thing to keep in mind is that sometimes "substitutions" are possible. For example, on a weekday in Ordinal time, a priest might choose a votive Mass instead of the Mass of the day. The point though, is that whatever options are available depend on the liturgical day and hour--which is either midnight-to-midnight or evening-before.
Old Nov 30, '11, 2:51 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrDavid96 View Post
(Yes, I realize that some of this has already been posted)

Most days begin/end at Midnight.

Sundays, solemnities, and major feasts of the Lord begin at the "time of First Vespers" which is 4 PM on the evening before and end at Midnight.

For private devotions like the rosary, the mysteries of the day are only a suggestion. One is free to choose any set of mysteries.

The Church has a table of precedence for liturgical days--this is in the general norms for the calendar and is printed on the opening pages of the Roman Missal. It's also in volume one of the 4-volume Liturgy of the Hours.

When it comes to choosing the Mass, the priest is bound to follow the calendar strictly. But one thing to keep in mind is that sometimes "substitutions" are possible. For example, on a weekday in Ordinal time, a priest might choose a votive Mass instead of the Mass of the day. The point though, is that whatever options are available depend on the liturgical day and hour--which is either midnight-to-midnight or evening-before.
Thank you so much, Father David.

-Tim-

I Ripped My Pants
Old Nov 30, '11, 3:29 pm

All the above answers are good.

I would make one additional comment... you also asked about reception of communion. That is a matter governed by canon law, specifically Canon 917, which allows the faithful to receive communion again (generally interpreted as only once more, or a second time) the same day. Since "day" is defined earlier in canon law as lasting from midnight to midnight, my opinion and the prevailing opinion among commentators that I have read is that the midnight-to-midnight rule applies on this matter. This is notwithstanding the fact that the liturgical day may last from 4pm or thereabouts until the next night.

I know FrDavid96 has his own theory on this based on John Paul's encyclical Dies Domini, but I haven't seen any reason to accept that the Holy Father was speaking about anything other than the liturgical day.
Old Dec 1, '11, 5:49 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitonomy View Post
All the above answers are good.

I would make one additional comment... you also asked about reception of communion. That is a matter governed by canon law, specifically Canon 917, which allows the faithful to receive communion again (generally interpreted as only once more, or a second time) the same day. Since "day" is defined earlier in canon law as lasting from midnight to midnight, my opinion and the prevailing opinion among commentators that I have read is that the midnight-to-midnight rule applies on this matter. This is notwithstanding the fact that the liturgical day may last from 4pm or thereabouts until the next night.

I know FrDavid96 has his own theory on this based on John Paul's encyclical Dies Domini, but I haven't seen any reason to accept that the Holy Father was speaking about anything other than the liturgical day.
Sorry but I'm confused. Correct me if I have picked this up incorrectly.

Liturgical day is from Vespers which is 4pm to midnight the following day or 4pm to midnight same day?
A normal day is defined as midnight to midnight?

Is the issue whether a person receiving Communion on Saturday evening can also receive twice on the actual Sunday or only once on the Sunday as they have received already on Saturday evening?
If this is the issue what is the answer?
Old Dec 1, '11, 8:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistle View Post
Liturgical day is from Vespers which is 4pm to midnight the following day or 4pm to midnight same day?
4pm to midnight the following day. And that's actually only Sundays and holy days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thistle
That is the definition under canon law.
Quote:
Canon 202 1. In law, a day is understood as a period consisting of 24 continuous hours and begins at midnight unless other provision is expressly made...
Quote:
Originally Posted by thistle
Is the issue whether a person receiving Communion on Saturday evening can also receive twice on the actual Sunday or only once on the Sunday as they have received already on Saturday evening?
Not sure what you mean by "the issue," but since the rule for communion is explicitly stated in canon law, that definition of "day" applies. So to answer your question one should be able to receive twice Sunday in the context of a mass, regardless of what happened Saturday.
Old Dec 2, '11, 1:33 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
4pm to midnight the following day. And that's actually only Sundays and holy days.That is the definition under canon law.Not sure what you mean by "the issue," but since the rule for communion is explicitly stated in canon law, that definition of "day" applies. So to answer your question one should be able to receive twice Sunday in the context of a mass, regardless of what happened Saturday.
Thanks.
Old Dec 2, '11, 4:05 am

The early Church followed the Jewish custom where the day starts and ends at what we call 6:00pm. (notionally sunset). Following the Edict of Milan, the Roman Church became closely tied to the Roman Empire and adopted the Roman custom where the day starts and ends at midnight. In most of Europe, we subsequently started naming our days of the week after Norse deities. So Tuesday runs from an instant after midnight on Monday and continues for 24 hours, and the Jewish Sabbath runs from 6:00pm on Friday until 6:00pm on Saturday. You can say your rosary when you like - but saying it between 6:00pm and midnight doesn't mean it counts twice.
Old Dec 2, '11, 6:48 am
Banned

Quote:
4pm to midnight the following day. And that's actually only Sundays and holy days.
This applies to solemnities rather than all holy days.
Old Dec 2, '11, 6:52 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrob View Post
... the Jewish Sabbath runs from 6:00pm on Friday until 6:00pm on Saturday.
Shabbat, the Jewish Sabbath, is determined by sunset not a fixed time. I live in the UK and in an area which has the largest Jewish population outside London. Our local BBC radio station announces every Thursday evening the start and end times of Shabbat. It varies with the time of sunset; it is not at a fixed time.
Old Dec 2, '11, 8:17 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistle View Post
Sorry but I'm confused. Correct me if I have picked this up incorrectly.

Most liturgical days begin and end at midnight. For the most part, they follow the calendar days of 24 hours.

The exception is solemnities (all Sundays are solemnities) and major feasts of the Lord. These begin at First Vespers (ie, the evening before) and end at midnight (roughly 32 hours).

So, Sunday begins at the time of First Vespers on Saturday evening (4 PM) and continues until midnight of Monday.

Monday begins at midnight and continues until Tuesday midnight.
Old Dec 2, '11, 8:19 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Holford View Post
This applies to solemnities rather than all holy days.
We do have to be specific in this context, so thanks for making the point.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments