Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Dec 11, '11, 2:19 pm

Religion: Catholic
Send a message via MSN to Windmill
Default Re: My New Roman Missal from Midwest Theological Forum (lots of pics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRRTFAN View Post
That's Sunday only. The high priced spread from Midwest is Daily. I think Catholic Book Publishing has a Sunday Missal for about the same price as CTS but it won't be as nice.
It's Sunday only? Is THAT why they called it a SUNDAY Missal?!>!>!

Seriously, it is for Sundays and Soleminities (HDoO's).
Old Dec 11, '11, 3:18 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRRTFAN View Post
TimothyH, is this a daily as well as Sunday Missal? I'm drooling with jealosy, not envy. This is the way a Missal ought to be. No horrid color cartoons like mine from CPB of 1983.
Yes, both Sunday for all three years of the cycle and weekday for both years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by torinx View Post
I'm definitely going to have to learn how to use the book. I don't mind figuring out all the rules though. It's like a big, fun puzzle for me. I guess I'm a nerd.

At first look, the variable materials for the ferial days are easy to find. I still have to learn the rubrics against the Roman calendar to find the variable parts for the feasts, memorials and optional memorials, plus how to determine the Preface and Eucharistic Prayer for the day. The materials for the solemnities are straightforward; however, for some reason (and I'm probably just being a dolt about it), I couldn't find the prayers and readings for today's Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception. Does anybody know where/how I can find them in the new missal?
Sorry if it has been answered already Art, but the commons for the feasts are toward the back. Look in the table of contents for "Proper of the Saints." These go from about page 1730 to about page 1975. The Freast of the Immaculate Conception is in the Proper of the Saints.

For most Masses, the priest has options for Preface and Eucharistic Prayer. There are guidlines for the priests on which ones are more or less appropriate given the day and occasion, but they have choices. You can usually narrow it down, but at the end of the day, you will just have to get used to what the priest likes. My priests do Eucharistic prayer 1 for most daily Masses.

-Tim-

I Ripped My Pants
Old Dec 11, '11, 3:21 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLGreg View Post
My question is: has anyone purchased/received a Sunday Only Missal (minus the weekday readings)? I would expect that this edition would be quite a bit lighter/thinner.
I would like to buy my mom and dad a weekly Missal for Christmas. A few websites I’ve found have a shipping date of 30 DEC.

Does anyone know of a website that has this edition to be shipped immediately? I would like to order one ASAP for delivery by Friday or Monday next week as we live in different states but will be travelling to their house for Christmas on Tuesday the 20th.
St. Joe's has a paperback for $1.94 +SH. Sadly it is sold out. I have seen these for $5 in the Church gift shop and bought one at a monastery gift shop for a friend for $3.99.

http://www.catholicbookpublishing.co...epartmentID=15

-Tim-

I Ripped My Pants
Old Dec 11, '11, 6:48 pm

What's the timetable for the NAB-revised edition to be used at masses in the US?
Old Dec 11, '11, 7:19 pm

Pre-ordered mine from Amazon on July 31. Twice-delayed and finally shipped, due December 16. Here is a pic of my current DRM my wife gave me 6 years ago.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rosary5.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	12408  
Old Dec 11, '11, 8:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by campion View Post
What's the timetable for the NAB-revised edition to be used at masses in the US?
There is no timetable. Presumably the Lectionary will eventually be revised in miscellaneous ways, but I don't think such a project is in danger of even beginning any time soon.

Old Dec 12, '11, 3:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmitton View Post
Wonderful!

You have inspired me to put off a hearing aid [my husband and audiologist say I need] and order one. I'd not really considered having one, but these pictures and descriptions have changed my mind.

Thank you posting.

Mary Carolyn

I caved in last night and ordered a black bonded leather missal from MTF. I have bonded bibles that have held up well for years so I figured I'd save a few bucks over the genuine leather. The standard UPS shipping is 13!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. For 1 pound? Holy Standard Handling, Batman!

I gave the reciept to my wife and asked her to give it to me for Christmas.
Old Dec 12, '11, 6:05 am

Religion: Catholic (Latin Rite, NO but enjoys EF/TLM)

Hello everyone. Just one note about both the Scepter and MTF hand missals: They are for the USA and other countries who use the New American Bible translations for readings. Other countries like my dear Canada are out of luck as we use the New Revised Standard Translation (Catholic Edition?). Britain uses the New Jerusalem translation but the Catholic Truth Society has a missal equvalent in beauty and form to the ones mentioned here for their country.
1 Timothy 6:12 (NRSV - CCCB) - "Fight the good fight of the faith; take hold of eternal life, to which you were called and for which you made the good confession in the presence of many witnesses."

My casual Catholic Canadian Blog, Do Visit me at - http://ycrcm.blogspot.com/
Old Dec 12, '11, 6:15 am
Veteran Member

So, for those who use the MTF and Scepter missal pictured in the first post, where do you keep your ribbons? How do you set them up? I have been experimenting and kinda like this set up...
First (white): Mass of the day, currently Advent in the front of the book
Second (yellow): Introductory Rites
Third (red): Best guess at the preface of the day
Fourth (purple): Best guess at the eucharistic prayer for the day.
Fifth (green): Communion rite
Sixth (blue): Prayer of St. Thomas Aquainas before (and after) communion
I'm sure I'll modify this as I the verbiage of the new Mass translation becomes more ingrained, and one or two of the ribbons for the order of Mass might be used for other things. But for now, this seems to work OK for me.

Anyone have a different setup? Is anyone still playing with ribbon placement? Having' thought about it yet? Any ideas? I still havn't look at the liturgical calendars much or explored all the prayers in the back.

-Tim-

I Ripped My Pants
Old Dec 12, '11, 5:23 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Latin Rite Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLGreg View Post
OK, folks … I need your help here.

I was talking to my mother this week and remarked to her about the weight of the new MTF Daily Roman Missal (1lb 15.4oz) that I recently purchased. She also bought a Daily Roman Missal (unknown publisher) from Amazon.com that was delayed in shipping. Being in her mid-seventies I told her that it was probably too heavy for her. I found out today that she is going to refuse delivery of the missal and has already received the shipping label to return the item.
I feel bad that I discouraged her form purchasing a Daily Missal. However, my parents are weekly Mass attendees and do not go to daily Mass so it would be a waste of money anyway.

My question is: has anyone purchased/received a Sunday Only Missal (minus the weekday readings)? I would expect that this edition would be quite a bit lighter/thinner.
I would like to buy my mom and dad a weekly Missal for Christmas. A few websites I’ve found have a shipping date of 30 DEC.

Does anyone know of a website that has this edition to be shipped immediately? I would like to order one ASAP for delivery by Friday or Monday next week as we live in different states but will be travelling to their house for Christmas on Tuesday the 20th.

Pauline Press will be publishing the St. Paul Missal in a Sunday only version early next year. I talked to one of the Sisters of St. Paul earlier this month she said that they are really going to be beautiful and showed me a brochure. Having used the Catholic Book Publiching Co.'s permanent missal in the past; I'd say get one of the annual Sunday missal's until the St. Paul comes out.

Ask me about any of these wonderful organizations.
Old Dec 12, '11, 5:27 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Latin Rite Catholic

Sadly, I have to send my Burgundy Bonded Leather copy back today because of a printing error. Several pages were printed incorrectly. Good news is that Amazon already has another one on the way!!! So let it be known that Amazon has this edition in stock.

Ask me about any of these wonderful organizations.
Old Dec 12, '11, 8:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimothyH View Post
So, for those who use the MTF and Scepter missal pictured in the first post, where do you keep your ribbons? How do you set them up? I have been experimenting and kinda like this set up...
I'm sure I'll modify this as I the verbiage of the new Mass translation becomes more ingrained, and one or two of the ribbons for the order of Mass might be used for other things. But for now, this seems to work OK for me.

Anyone have a different setup? Is anyone still playing with ribbon placement? Having' thought about it yet? Any ideas? I still havn't look at the liturgical calendars much or explored all the prayers in the back.

-Tim-
I put the blue ribbon in the Proper of Saints section, in front of the next upcoming feast day. I like your idea about putting it by the St. Thomas Aquinas prayers, so I'm going to insert a holy card at that spot.'

I don't want to derail this thread, but has anyone found a source for a good book cover (for those of us who couldn't exercise the virtue of patience and got the hardcover edition?) I don't care much for the Bible covers with handles along the spine that seem to be ubiquitous on the websites, and am considering making a cover for my hardcovered Missal.
Old Dec 13, '11, 6:54 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimothyH View Post

-Tim-
I had never owned a Missal before and that is about how I have placed the ribbons:

White – Proper Time/Advent (right now ready for 4th Sunday of Advent)
Gold – Order of the Mass
Red – Prefaces - this Sunday we use Preface II of Advent (17DEC to 24DEC)
Purple – Eucharistic Prayer II (celebrants have been using this one the past three weeks)
Green – Proper of the Saints (currently 13DEC/St. Lucy, Virgin & Martyr)
Blue – Page 2299 of the MTF Missal – Midday Prayer (Angelus) and can go on to Evening Prayers/Examination of Conscience and Preparation for Mass from there.

Also, thank you everyone for the advice on purchasing a Sunday Missal for my parents.
Old Dec 13, '11, 7:37 am
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by odile53 View Post
I put the blue ribbon in the Proper of Saints section, in front of the next upcoming feast day. I like your idea about putting it by the St. Thomas Aquinas prayers, so I'm going to insert a holy card at that spot.'

I don't want to derail this thread, but has anyone found a source for a good book cover (for those of us who couldn't exercise the virtue of patience and got the hardcover edition?) I don't care much for the Bible covers with handles along the spine that seem to be ubiquitous on the websites, and am considering making a cover for my hardcovered Missal.
I carry my "Holy books", rosary, etc. in an iPad carry case. It is my spiritual "Kit." I do have a concern about leaving it on the car seat and it getting stolen. The look on the guys face when he opens it and instead of an iPad he finds a Roman Missal would be priceless.

I would also be interested in a good cover or small carry case for this book. Along with my leather zippered Bible, this is about the most expensive book I have ever purchased. Even a small velvet bag or something similar would be good. Right now I store it in the kitchen cabinet where I keep my watch, car keys, rosary, copy of the Little Office and other personal items.

-Tim-

I Ripped My Pants
Old Dec 13, '11, 8:17 am

I have requested the 2012 St Joseph Missal and I will get it at Xmas as I asked my parents for it among a few other items. The price is right for sure. Someday, I will get the Missal for the Ordinary Form that reflects the changes, etc.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments