Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Dec 9, '11, 6:28 pm
Trial Membership

Religion: Catholic
Default "Copy-able" E-Version of Roman Missal

Hello! This is my first post. I've lurked for a while and am hopeful that the faithful CA participants can answer my question.

I work for a parish. Because we know that we will have a large number of people attending Christmas Mass who haven't been catechized in the 3rd Edition of the Roman Missal, we are producing a comprehensive worship aid for that weekend. I have been unable to find an electronic version of the Mass that I can cut-and-paste into a worship aid. Does anyone know of one?

I have an iPad and use iMissal for my private use. All of the information I need is available there, but the app won't allow me to copy the text.

Thanks,
Revert
Old Dec 9, '11, 7:02 pm
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: "Copy-able" E-Version of Roman Missal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revert1959 View Post
Hello! This is my first post. I've lurked for a while and am hopeful that the faithful CA participants can answer my question.

I work for a parish. Because we know that we will have a large number of people attending Christmas Mass who haven't been catechized in the 3rd Edition of the Roman Missal, we are producing a comprehensive worship aid for that weekend. I have been unable to find an electronic version of the Mass that I can cut-and-paste into a worship aid. Does anyone know of one?

I have an iPad and use iMissal for my private use. All of the information I need is available there, but the app won't allow me to copy the text.

Thanks,
Revert
Welcome!

Unfortunately, the full Roman Missal, with everything in it, is under copyright for whatever reason.

However, the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops has this on their website, with just the Order of the Mass.

Say the black. Do the red.
Old Dec 9, '11, 7:13 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMendes4049 View Post
Welcome!

Unfortunately, the full Roman Missal, with everything in it, is under copyright for whatever reason.

However, the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops has this on their website, with just the Order of the Mass.
This is copyrighted too. My understanding is that one is allowed to print it for personal use. Or even create an ebook format for himself. You would need permission, I would think, if you wanted to print it out for an entire congregation. They sell the card versions for those.
Old Dec 9, '11, 7:50 pm
Trial Membership

Thanks. We do have pew cards with the changes in the Missal that we are using right now. The problem is that for Christmas, we have such an overflow crowd that we don't have enough pew cards or hymnals for two of our Masses.

It amazes me that the online copyrights we purchase each year only apply to the songs and not the Mass parts.
Old Dec 9, '11, 7:54 pm

Quote:

Thanks,
Revert
For what it's worth, the copyright policies on the texts governed by ICEL are spelled out here. License to reprint, under the further conditions there stated, is given gratis for a "publication for use at a specific Mass or celebration of an individual congregation or institution," while other "pamphlets, cards," etc. are liable to royalties. If your worship aid is intended to cover multiple days or Masses, I suspect it would technically fall into the second category rather than the first. The people I know who have contacted ICEL for permission to use their texts for pew cards, musical compositions, and so on have all found them very responsive and quite generous with giving free permission when the intended use is standard non-profit church-related stuff, so if you care enough to contact them I think it is exceedingly likely that you will get the same consideration.

JGMendes posted a fine place to copy the Order of Mass from. If you need the collects and so on, they are not, as of now, freely available online, so unfortunately you would have to type them in.

Old Dec 9, '11, 8:06 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
I have been unable to find an electronic version of the Mass that I can cut-and-paste into a worship aid. Does anyone know of one?

Incidentally you can convert personal text files to e-reader format (such as Kindle, etc.) with free software such as MobiPocket Creator. Works well but don't expect graphics and special fonts to be converted.
Old Dec 9, '11, 8:12 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMendes4049 View Post
Welcome!

That is head-shaking sad. One would think the Church would have a free download in numerous formats either on the Holy See's website or that of the USCCB.
Old Dec 9, '11, 8:33 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorPaulito View Post
That is head-shaking sad. One would think the Church would have a free download in numerous formats either on the Holy See's website or that of the USCCB.
The Latin version is in the public domain, I believe. Translations of the Bible and liturgies are another matter. Nothing new there. You'll just have to wait till the copyrights expire, if they ever will.
Old Dec 9, '11, 8:44 pm
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProVobis View Post
You'll just have to wait till the copyrights expire, if they ever will.
See you in the year 2106.

Say the black. Do the red.
Old Dec 9, '11, 8:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorPaulito View Post
True, though one must remember that the Vatican does not work at the pace of Facebook. The Geocities-era layout and functionality of the main website testifies to that. That said, the Congregation for the Clergy does have a hard-to-navigate version of the Latin typical edition of the Missal (which of course is under copyright, contrary to the misconception some hold) online, and the USCCB has done a good job of making all the daily readings plus the entire NAB available.

Old Dec 9, '11, 11:44 pm
Banned

If you pm me with your email address, I can help you out with the variable prayers (the Order of the Mass, as noted, is found on the USCCB website. You can also get it at breviary.com/m if you want a quickly manipulat-able text. Be warned though the later has some changes i.e. things like "click here, "scroll down", etc. )
Old Dec 10, '11, 1:50 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProVobis View Post
The Latin version is in the public domain, I believe. Translations of the Bible and liturgies are another matter. Nothing new there. You'll just have to wait till the copyrights expire, if they ever will.
It's still very sad. The Church should be doing everything it can to ensure the information is disseminated and it's clearly not doing so.
Old Dec 10, '11, 1:53 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkThompson View Post
True, though one must remember that the Vatican does not work at the pace of Facebook. The Geocities-era layout and functionality of the main website testifies to that. That said, the Congregation for the Clergy does have a hard-to-navigate version of the Latin typical edition of the Missal (which of course is under copyright, contrary to the misconception some hold) online, and the USCCB has done a good job of making all the daily readings plus the entire NAB available.
It should "work at the pace of Facebook." Maybe I shouldn't feel this way but I'm disgusted by this sort of thing. In certain practical areas I have very low expectations when it comes to the Church.
Old Dec 10, '11, 2:55 am

Quote:

Thanks,
Revert
Suggestion:

Extract the pertinent portions of the Ordinary and produce them on a double-sided piece of paper (reproducing the number of copies you need).

ICEL has a very liberal copyright policy. Read it here.
No royalty is charged for reprinting ICEL translations in a publication for use at a specific Mass or celebration of an individual congregation or institution, for example: convention program booklets, jubilee Masses, ordinations, baptisms, first communions, confirmations, funerals, weddings, etc., provided that the following conditions are met:

a. the publication is not produced by a publishing firm;
b. the publication is not sold;
c. the appropriate copyright notice appears on the cover, inside cover, or title page;
d. the official editions of the texts are followed exactly.
So if you reproduce your own, you are in the clear.

A PDF of the Ordinary is here. Take the portions that are pertinent and make sure the texts are precisely copied. And give ICEL credit.
Old Dec 10, '11, 3:05 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

Quote:

I
most of the RE publishers like Sadlier, Loyola, Pflaum etc. have free downloads of the People's parts of the Mass that can be printed in bulk try those websites, or ask your DRE for links. These usually have the expectation that the priest will say, we are using Form A (for instance for the penitential rite, memorial acclamation etc.) and to give people a head's up when it is time to pick up the worship aid. "let us pray the Nicene Creed at the top of page 2 of your card" for instance.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments