Catholic FAQ

Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jul 3, '04, 6:26 am

Religion: Catholic convert
Default Daily Examination of Conscience

I was wondering what any of you do for a daily examination of conscience? Any "method" so to speak that was given to you by a spiritual director.

Do you try to recall all sins during the day? Do you focus on the one major one you can remember?

Keith
Old Jul 3, '04, 7:52 am

Default Re: Daily Examination of Conscience

I think if you have an examination of concience list, it helps, and at the end of the day, go through it. (for daily sins). I found the examination of concience in Scott Hahns book, Lord, Have Mercy particularly helpful. (it's quite thorough). You can also find examination of concience pamphlets at Catholic book/gift shops. (I found a great one for .50).
Old Jul 3, '04, 8:29 am

Religion: Catholic

An important tool in the spiritual life is the Particular Examination of Conscience. Once you (and your confessor/director, if you have one) have identified the sin you wish to uproot or the virtue you wish to acquire at this point in your life, every day, you focus on that sin or virtue. At the middle of the day, classically in conjunction with the Angelus at noon, you take a look at how things are going with this particular struggle, thank God for success, make an act of contrition for failure, and set your course for the rest of the day. At the end of the day, after praying for light, you look again at this struggle, as well as reviewing everything else that happened during the day. Personally, I don't find it necessary to use a list for just one day's exam - whatever I've done wrong I haven't had time to forget after just one day, but if you prefer to, that's great. (There's a thread about a good list on this forum somewhere - just search under "examination of conscience," and you're sure to find plenty of good stuff.) After the act of contrition, the most important thing in your nightly examination of conscience is the resolution for tomorrow. If you have a reasonable expectation of privacy in your house, you can keep all this in a notebook, which you can refer to as you prepare for Confession.

This is what I received many years ago from a fine spiritual director. Hope it helps you as it has me.

Betsy

Baltimore Catholics join me here!
Old Jul 3, '04, 3:32 pm

Besides examining the specific area of my life that my S.D. has me working on, I was also recommended to ask myself (at noon) What have I done this morning that has caused pain to another? In what way have I been a stumbling block to others? What have I done ths morning (in my relationships with other people) that I would rather have done differently? At night, I use a list, but also examine both the specific area I'm working on, and my answers to the three questions above.

John

"We have a dream worth fighting for and if I don't risk my skin for it, then who" (Fr. Albert Gutberlet, LC - Winter)
Old Jul 3, '04, 5:16 pm

Religion: Roman catholic

By second favorite saint: St. Ignatius Loyola (my first is St. Thomas Aquinas) highly recomends the daily examen. That is why my spirituality is Ignatian: based on St. Ignatius Loyola: His great book: The Spiritual Exercises.
Old Jul 3, '04, 10:23 pm
Book Club Member

O Holy Spirit, eternally begotten from the Father and the Son, enlighten me that I may clearly see what evil I have done today, and what good I have left undone and move my heart that I may sincerely repent and amend my life, Amen.

This is a traditional prayer to the Holy Spirit for a daily examination of conscience. I recommend doing it at the end of the day, maybe at the start of your prayers before bed, along with an Act of Contrition after the examination of conscience:

O my God, I am heartedly sorry for having offended you and I detest all my sins because I dread the loss of Heaven and the pains of hell but most of all because they offend you, My God, who are all good and deserving of my love. I firmly resolve, with the help of Your grace, to confess my sins, to do penance and to amend my life, Amen.

It helps to humble oneself and it really creates peace to amend for the day's venial sins. It also helps when going to confession as the sins you bring to the sacrament will be readily available for a thorough confession.
Old Jul 22, '09, 8:20 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic

Keith, I found your thread because I was also looking for a daily examination of conscience. I need one that is short and simple, which I can readily do when I'm completely exhausted. I found this one from the Jesuits which I like very much, so I just wanted to toss it into the mix here for you:

Praying the Jesuit
Examination of
Conscience

1. Thanksgiving
Lord, I realize that all, even
myself, is a gift from you.
- Today, for what things am
I most grateful?

2. Intention
Lord, open my eyes and ears
to be more honest with myself.
- Today, what do I really
want for myself?

3. Examination
Lord, show me what has been
happening to me and in me this
day.
- Today, in what ways have
I experienced your love?

4. Contrition
Lord, I am still learning to grow
in your love.
- Today, what choices have
been inadequate
responses to your love?

5. Hope
Lord, let me look with longing
toward the future.
- Today, how will I let you
lead me to a brighter
tomorrow?

Source

Thanks for posting your question, the responses you've received have been particularly helpful to me. I hope my post is helpful to you as well!
Old Jul 22, '09, 8:35 pm

I ask myself: what have I done well? and what have I done wrong? I was skeptical about adding that first question - it didn't seem to fit in with examining for faults. But surprisingly, it's been very illuminating. For instance, if I, say can't think of anything I did especially well that day, I think, wow, I need to make some changes and offer up something more for Jesus. It helps you take it to the next level. For some reason, taking the best and the worst part of the day and putting them next to each other has helped me confess better and organize my life better.
Old Jul 24, '09, 1:25 am
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Religion: Roman Catholic

My dear friend

I'm not that faithful to my daily exam lately, but I meditate on the law of the Lord day and night, as the good book says. I go to confession at least weekly too. But I should do a particular examination of one point I'm trying to root out at night for 1 or 2 mins, and a general examination ofall for a few mins longe after it. Then make my act of contrition. This is what my SD wants.

May God bless you
John
May the Blessed Trinity and Blessed Mother along with all the Hosts of Blessed Spirits and Saints and Sublime Martyrs bless you all and the whole church and world and complete the conversion of Russia quickly and give us world peace +++. We are at the end. Bless you +++ I am John

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality