Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Social Justice

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Dec 14, '11, 8:54 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Is "Food for the Poor" a good charity organization?

Hi,

I have been wanting to find a charitable organization to donate to, and I have heard of one called "Food for the Poor." I was wondering if anyone here has heard of it and knows if it is a good organization to give to, i.e. they aren't a scam, and don't support/perform immoral practices.
Old Dec 14, '11, 10:00 am

Default Re: Is "Food for the Poor" a good charity organization?

Yes, Food for the Poor is a worthy charitable organization. Most of the donations go directly to the poor they serve. Check out their website if you want to know more about them. We've given to them.

There is another organization that is also very good, Cross International Catholic Outreach. My husband and I first heard of them on a trip to Front Royal, VA. One of their representatives spoke at St. John the Baptist Catholic Church, a very orthodox parish we'd like to belong to after we retire. We've since researched the organization and are very impressed. That's where some of our charity dollars are going to go.
Old Dec 14, '11, 5:05 pm

They are a non-Catholic org, they come in and fund non-Catholic schools that they pull Catholic students away from the small, struggling Catholic schools and parishes.

Give through your Diocese or Catholic Charities. Help Catholics in third world countries REMAIN Catholic.
Old Dec 14, '11, 5:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetandgandal View Post
Yes, Food for the Poor is a worthy charitable organization. Most of the donations go directly to the poor they serve. Check out their website if you want to know more about them. We've given to them.

There is another organization that is also very good, Cross International Catholic Outreach. My husband and I first heard of them on a trip to Front Royal, VA. One of their representatives spoke at St. John the Baptist Catholic Church, a very orthodox parish we'd like to belong to after we retire. We've since researched the organization and are very impressed. That's where some of our charity dollars are going to go.

Cross is also a non-denominational group.

http://theblackcordelias.wordpress.c...tholic-church/

I prefer to spend my charity dollars with 100% Catholic groups.
Old Dec 15, '11, 8:26 am
Suspended

THere's always Catholic Charities and Catholic Relief Services.
Old Dec 15, '11, 9:48 am
Veteran Member

Religion: Catholic - no buts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castello View Post
They are a non-Catholic org, they come in and fund non-Catholic schools that they pull Catholic students away from the small, struggling Catholic schools and parishes.

Give through your Diocese or Catholic Charities. Help Catholics in third world countries REMAIN Catholic.
Double check you facts please. Food for the Poor is an ecumenical organization with significant catholic leadership oversight. They are hardly a front for fundie proselytizers.

http://www.foodforthepoor.org/about/leadership/
Old Dec 15, '11, 10:11 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompSciGuy View Post
Hi,

I have been wanting to find a charitable organization to donate to, and I have heard of one called "Food for the Poor." I was wondering if anyone here has heard of it and knows if it is a good organization to give to, i.e. they aren't a scam, and don't support/perform immoral practices.
Forbes among others rates charities according to accountability and efficiency in putting donations to best use, look up their rankings and report. While they got off to a rocky start and original leadership was suspended, they now are a Catholic organization in good standing.
Quote:

poster may have his facts mixed up.

If you have questions call the Catholic Charities or Social SErvice agency in your diocese and ask for their recommendations.
Old Dec 15, '11, 2:51 pm

Not wrong. Food for the Poor is a non-denom/inter denom/ecumenical group.

Why not support 100% Catholic groups?

A nd/id/ecum group is going to fund "outreaches" that lure Catholics away in Catholic countries like Haiti. Contact Catholic parishes in Haiti and ask them what happens.
Old Dec 15, '11, 10:16 pm

According to Charity Navigator: 96.8% of the money Food for the Poor collects is spent on Program Expenses. The rest is spent on Administrative and Fund Raising. That is a very favorable ratio - much better than the average charity.

Also according to Charity Navigator:
Food For The Poor (FFP) ministers to spiritually renew impoverished people throughout Latin America and the Caribbean. Established in 1982, FFP's goals are to improve the health, economic, social and spiritual conditions of the men, women and children we serve. Food For The Poor raises funds and provides direct relief assistance to the poor, usually by purchasing specifically requested materials and distributing them through the churches and charity organizations already operating in areas of need. Since its founding FFP has distributed more than 48,000 tractor-trailer loads of aid to the poor. We have also built more than 55,000 housing units for people desperately in need of adequate shelter, and completed more than 750 water projects that provide lifesaving water and sanitation to hundreds of thousands of villagers in need.

There are many charities, so each person must decide which to support. I decided to support FFP after they made a request at Mass.

Old Dec 15, '11, 10:30 pm
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompSciGuy View Post
Hi,

BTW - this is a link to Charity Navigator. You can look up all kinds of charities and they tell you how much of your money t goes to the programs and how much to admin and rate them . great resource. http://www.charitynavigator.org/

I'm a fan of Mercy Corps and Save the Children and Heifer International. .
Old Dec 16, '11, 7:45 am
Veteran Member

Religion: Catholic - no buts.

Quote:
Not wrong. Food for the Poor is a non-denom/inter denom/ecumenical group.

Why not support 100% Catholic groups?

A nd/id/ecum group is going to fund "outreaches" that lure Catholics away in Catholic countries like Haiti. Contact Catholic parishes in Haiti and ask them what happens.
How about YOU read the link I posted which demonstrates that a Haitian bishop and Honduran Cardinal are officers of this organization? You really think those guys are supporting protestant proselytizers?

What you say is true about some groups like Compassion International and similar. But i really don't think Food for the Poor is one of them.
Old Apr 17, '13, 2:51 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: Irish Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by manualman View Post
How about YOU read the link I posted which demonstrates that a Haitian bishop and Honduran Cardinal are officers of this organization? You really think those guys are supporting protestant proselytizers?

What you say is true about some groups like Compassion International and similar. But i really don't think Food for the Poor is one of them.
WRONG!

Article from 2002;
http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Bishop...or.-a084016491

Bishops Bolt Food For The Poor.
A little more than a year ago, a former official for Food For the Poor (FFTP) arrived at The NonProfit Times to detail problems with how the Deerfield Beach, Fla., group was being run and alleged improper actions by its then leader, Ferdinand Mahfood.

Though Mahfood, who was accused of misappropriating funds and of having affairs with some of his female employees, was replaced by his brother Robin, the official expressed concern that improper financial dealings might continue.

When asked for indicators of continued problems, he said, "Watch what the archbishop of Miami is going to do. ... To get into these Catholic churches (to fundraise) we're required to be listed in the official directory. And that's at the discretion of the archbishop of Miami."

As the new year began, FFTP saw the resignation of three catholic bishops from its board who'd joined the organization after the scandal hit a year ago. The archbishop of Miami, in whose diocese FFTP is located, revoked the nonprofit's listing from the Official Catholic Directory (OCD, also known as the Kenedy Directory). The archbishop also recommended to pastors in his diocese that they not to allow the FFTP or others not in the OCD to raise funds in their churches.

Prior to the resignations and the removal from the OCD, the archdiocese had approached FFTP about becoming more overtly associated with the Catholic Church.

Founded in 1980, FFTP has been closely associated with Catholic causes -- and still is, in the minds of many donors who learned of the organization through Catholic publications. But in recent years it has chosen to employ a more ecumenical approach to its fundraising.

"They had been listed under the archdiocese ... as a catholic institution," said Mary Ross Agosta, spokesperson for the archdiocese, who added that the nonprofit indicated it did not want to be known as solely a Catholic organization. She said that FFTP expressed its view that, as a nondenominational organization, "they'd do wider good. And they do do good."

"It was a question of basically the archdiocese invited us to become a portion of the Catholic Charities organization." said FFTP spokesperson Ann Briere. "And we declined. I believe the bishops felt that there was not enough control from the archdiocese."

In a statement, Robin Mahfood said the organization regretted any misunderstandings between the organization and the bishops, "as they apparently had expectations that were different from those of the other directors."

And while the organization was "flattered by the invitation to come under the Archdiocese of Miami Mahfood stated, "FFTP is committed to its own tradition as an interdenominational Christian organization that is ecumenical, inclusive and primarily focused on international aid and development."

The first of the bishops who resigned, Auxiliary Bishop Thomas Wenski, was from the archdiocese of Miami. He has expressed concern about how the organization was run. "He felt he had no input to the direction of the organization," according to Agosta, who said the bishop was out of the country and unavailable for comment. "I think Bishop Wenski had concerns with the direction of the board and felt the input of the bishops was not being taken into account."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dont donate to relief services that promote broad Christianity(ecumenical).
Broad Christianity, specifically the mainline protestant churches are pro-gay marriage, pro-abortion and a whole host of problems.
Dont let your dollars feed the hungry and have heretics feed their souls.
Give to Catholic Relief Services.
Old Apr 17, '13, 3:20 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Contact your parish Knights of Columbus and Auxiliary to see if your local food pantry / soup kitchen needs money. Also your parish St. Vincent de Paul Society.

Easier to monitor management at the parish level than some charity many miles away.
Old May 6, '13, 11:06 pm
Trial Membership

Religion: etc.

I'm not a member of the clergy, but I feel feeding a hungry mouth is a deed God would love. It is heart-warming to see many charity events around the world who share my belief. Holiday Heroes is one such charity organization in Bulgaria. They fed over 2000 of the poorest families on Easter this year in a country where 60% of population works hard to make ends meet, and did the same last Christmas as well. http://www.holidayheroes.bg
Old May 7, '13, 3:44 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Mother Teresa's Missionaries of Charity would also appreciate donations. Their financial records are impeccable! I had the good fortune to meet four of them, while working in Appalachia over an eight year period. Every lightbulb that they purchase is accounted for!
They only get two days off a year, and a home visit every ten years. They are a remarkable Order. I have nothing but admiration and praise for them.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Social Justice