Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Dec 16, '11, 6:08 pm
Banned

Religion: Roman Rite Catholic
Default How do Catholics go to hell?

I use to be a born again Christian (the denomination) and I'm the only Maronite in my family and my grandmother is trying to get me to leave the Catholic Church and I read some more about Catholicism and this really scared me!

Please share your opinions on the articles you read in this Link!

God Bless

Last edited by Eric Hilbert; Dec 18, '11 at 5:47 am.
Old Dec 16, '11, 6:17 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: How do Catholics go to hell?

Why does this "scare" you?

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old Dec 16, '11, 6:26 pm

Religion: Pentecostal

"Catholic Mass Causes Cancer"

"Candles and incense have no place in Christian worship"

Hmm

The only thing I would be worried about after reading that are the people who wrote this trash. This is the most stupid **** I've ever heard.

P.S. There are a lot of things you could criticize the Catholic Church on, but cancer causing liturgical ceremonies and candles??????????
Old Dec 16, '11, 6:29 pm

Religion: Orthodox Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltwin View Post
"Catholic Mass Causes Cancer"

"Candles and incense have no place in Christian worship"

Hmm

The only thing I would be worried about after reading that are the people who wrote this trash. This is the most stupid **** I've ever heard.
I agree Somewhere in Revelations it says something about incense and our prayers rising up to God I can't remember where though.I am shrugging too.
Old Dec 16, '11, 6:43 pm
Banned

Religion: Catholic - revert

Quote:
Originally Posted by thequeen View Post
I agree Somewhere in Revelations it says something about incense and our prayers rising up to God I can't remember where though.I am shrugging too.
Revelations 5:8

"And when he had taken the book, the four beasts and four and twenty elders fell down before the Lamb, having every one of them harps, and golden vials full of odours, which are the prayers of saints." KJV
Old Dec 16, '11, 6:44 pm

That website is, hands down, the most ridiculous, uninformed thing I have ever read.
I would suggest that the best thing for you to do is to learn more about your Catholic faith so you will not be swayed by these ridiculous claims. Here are some Books to start from
Catholicism for Dummies (actually very good - it helped start me on my path to the Catholic Church )
Reasons to Believe by Scott Hahn
The Mystery and Meaning of the Mass by Joseph M. Champlin
Old Dec 16, '11, 6:57 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic (Old School)

Quote:
Apocalypse 8:[3] And another angel came, and stood before the altar, having a golden censer; and there was given to him much incense, that he should offer of the prayers of all saints upon the golden altar, which is before the throne of God. [4] And the smoke of the incense of the prayers of the saints ascended up before God from the hand of the angel.
There are over 100 mentions of incense being burned in the Temple in the OT, as well. Incense has always been a part of Judeo-Christian worship. Why anyone would claim that it's a sign of devil worship, is beyond me.

"Keep close to the Catholic Church at all times, for the Church alone can give you true peace, since she alone possesses Jesus, the true Prince of Peace, in the Blessed Sacrament." ~ Padré Pio
Old Dec 16, '11, 6:57 pm

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Link0126 View Post

"And when he had taken the book, the four beasts and four and twenty elders fell down before the Lamb, having every one of them harps, and golden vials full of odours, which are the prayers of saints." KJV
Hillsong has a song called "Like Incense / Sometimes By Step" which is a remake of an older song. The opening line is based on a Bible verse that goes "May my prayer like incense rise before you/The lifting of my hands a sacrifice." I love that imagery, and symbolism. These people have such a reductionist view of worship.
Old Dec 16, '11, 7:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telstar View Post
Apocalypse 8:[3] And another angel came, and stood before the altar, having a golden censer; and there was given to him much incense, that he should offer of the prayers of all saints upon the golden altar, which is before the throne of God. [4] And the smoke of the incense of the prayers of the saints ascended up before God from the hand of the angel.
There are over 100 mentions of incense being burned in the Temple in the OT, as well. Incense has always been a part of Judeo-Christian worship. Why anyone would claim that it's a sign of devil worship, is beyond me.
I personally and Pentecostals in general don't subscribe to this view. But apparently, there are fundamentalist Christians who believe that only practices mentioned in the New Testament should be a part of Christian worship. Thus, instruments that Pentecostals use (even though instruments were used in Old Testament worship) are not permitted either.
Old Dec 16, '11, 7:12 pm

Religion: Returned Roman Catholic

This is why Protestant churches are too boring for me.
Old Dec 16, '11, 7:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Link0126 View Post

This is absolute rubbish. When one checks the NAB translation - saints is actually listed as holy ones. Something that our Protestant brothers and sisters do not understand generally speaking is that in the days that Revelations would have been written everyone was referred to as saint - it was a greeting from fellow Christian to fellow Christian and does not have the same meaning as the one we usually associate with Canonized Saint today.

In Formation with SFO - to Come and See Contact NAFRA-SFO
Old Dec 16, '11, 7:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaroniteRosary View Post
I use to be a born again Christian (the denomination) and I'm the only Maronite in my family and my grandmother is trying to get me to leave the Catholic Church and I read some more about Catholicism and this really scared me!

Please share your opinions on the articles you read in this Link!

God Bless
Utter er.... I'd better use the word codswallop rather than what I'm really thinking!

There's all kinds of er... codswallop around.

One thing you will never see is an authentic Catholic document denigrating another's religion, you won't hear it from the pulpit, and you won't hear it from the Bishops or the Pope either. That should tell you something.

Last edited by Eric Hilbert; Dec 18, '11 at 5:48 am.
Old Dec 16, '11, 7:32 pm
Banned

One thing you will never see is an authentic Catholic document denigrating another's religion, you won't hear it from the pulpit, and you won't hear it from the Bishops or the Pope either. That should tell you something.

Uh, I know and am certain that the above statement was made in absolute sincerity and with the kindest of intentions. I also know that especially since Vatican II,
the Church has been much more understanding of (though not CONDONING of the errors of), other religions. But the official church has not ALWAYS been this tolerant.
Of course, we must consider the times in which earlier, more hostile official statements were made by the official Church, and they were, as well as the often violent circumstances of those times, but that having been said,
The Council Of Florence actually stated that at their deaths, all non Catholics (and it specified "pagans" and "Jews" and Muslims, etc etc, descend immediately
into Hell. I don't have the reference handy, but the statement is authentic, and being the official statement of a papally-approved Ecumenical Council, one that is not to be taken too lightly as I understand that Ecumenical Councils are, if papally confirmed,
also infallible.
The statement should, however, be understood in the context of ALL Catholic gospel teaching, and not as a stand-alone statement. It SOUNDS more absolute than it actually IS, because the church has always taught invincible ignorance and baptism of desire and other things that mitigate the statement somewhat.
Old Dec 16, '11, 7:40 pm

OK I was lazy when writing that.

I should have written...

If you go into 99.99% of all Catholic Churches today you will not hear

And...

no document since Vatican I

Old Dec 16, '11, 7:54 pm

Religion: Latin Catholic leaning East

Sounds like they're sipping some Kool-Aid.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions