Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Dec 17, '11, 10:36 am

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default How do you feel about the Sign of Peace?

Okay, so the Sign of Peace is definitely a nice sentiment. But I really don't enjoy shaking people's hands. Especially in the winter with cold and flu season. It would be one thing if it was AFTER taking the Eucharist, but it's not. So you watch someone sneeze, then s/he shakes your hand, and then you go up, get the Eucharist in your hands, and in goes the Body of Christ and all of your fellow parishioners' germs.

Does anyone else feel this way?
Old Dec 17, '11, 10:45 am

Religion: Catholic (duh!)
Default Re: How do you feel about the Sign of Peace?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela77 View Post
Okay, so the Sign of Peace is definitely a nice sentiment. But I really don't enjoy shaking people's hands. Especially in the winter with cold and flu season. It would be one thing if it was AFTER taking the Eucharist, but it's not. So you watch someone sneeze, then s/he shakes your hand, and then you go up, get the Eucharist in your hands, and in goes the Body of Christ and all of your fellow parishioners' germs.

I don't.
Old Dec 17, '11, 10:52 am

Religion: Catholic
Send a message via AIM to dixieagle

Quote:

While I support giving some sign of peace, I share your concern, especially during cold and flu season.

My dh takes medication that weakens his immune system and a simple cold can easily turn into bronchitis or pneumonia. It is very difficult to avoid shaking hands (though one could clasp one's own hands together while saying "Peace be with you" and smiling genuinely) so we keep a small discreet (we hope) bottle of hand sanitizer which we use just before going up for Communion, slipping it out of and then back into a pocket. There are not many other choices.

My blog: http://www.chattycatholic.com
Old Dec 17, '11, 11:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixieagle View Post
While I support giving some sign of peace, I share your concern, especially during cold and flu season.

My dh takes medication that weakens his immune system and a simple cold can easily turn into bronchitis or pneumonia. It is very difficult to avoid shaking hands (though one could clasp one's own hands together while saying "Peace be with you" and smiling genuinely) so we keep a small discreet (we hope) bottle of hand sanitizer which we use just before going up for Communion, slipping it out of and then back into a pocket. There are not many other choices.
I use sanitizer too.
Old Dec 17, '11, 11:07 am

Religion: Latin Catholic

Quote:

I do not like it at all, especially at its current place in the modern Roman Rite. Inasmuch as we would like to keep it, it should probably be moved to the Offertory, but I find it so disruptive I'd rather see it go altogether. The Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum should be sufficient.

Old Dec 17, '11, 11:13 am

One option is to clasp your hands together and nod or give some idea that you are responding, then when you go to receive the Eucharist .... receive it on the tongue.
Old Dec 17, '11, 11:14 am

I think it is disruptive and makes things uncomfortable that otherwise might be fine, between parishioners. Sometimes I am deep in prayer / meditation and v sensitive and emotional during mass. It feels weird to break that and also think ok now everyone is awkwardly saying hi to the girl who was crying at mass. I think that diminishes my chances of just getting to know them normally, maybe? Why not more coffee and donuts events after mass? But then I prefer TLM, just wish it was daily in my area.

As for germs I have never had a problem w not shaking hands bc germs. Just wave and smile.
Old Dec 17, '11, 11:14 am

Religion: Latin Catholic leaning East

Quote:

While I certainly sympathise with the hygiene issue, I hate it when parishoners give half-hearted handshakes or wave (unless they're far away or ill--but in the second case, why come to Mass?) even in the winter. It's rude.

Your parish should keep hand sanitiser, or you should keep a bottle of it in your pocket during Mass.
Old Dec 17, '11, 11:17 am

I'm not a mad fan of the "sign of peace" thing and I don't think I would miss it one bit if it were discontinued. But, it's really not that big of a deal to me, so, I just do it and don't think much of it.
As for the worry about communion, germs, etc., I prefer communion on the tongue so germs aren't an issue for me.
Old Dec 17, '11, 11:21 am
Prayer Warrior

It's never bothered me as I've always done it.

I haven't done it much lately though as I am holding a baby and people just nod instead. Maybe that's what you need?
Old Dec 17, '11, 11:22 am

And interesting side note... When I've gone to Masses done my bishop, he doesn't do the Sign of Peace.
Old Dec 17, '11, 11:24 am
Veteran Member

Religion: Anti-marxist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bezant View Post
While I certainly sympathise with the hygiene issue, I hate it when parishoners give half-hearted handshakes or wave (unless they're far away or ill--but in the second case, why come to Mass?) even in the winter. It's rude.

Your parish should keep hand sanitiser, or you should keep a bottle of it in your pocket during Mass.

What if the other person is ill? Obviously ill, coughing, wiping their dripping nose on their hands? And yet he still wants to grab your hand. I've seen it.

Not fond of the placing of the Sign of Peace, but it's not up to me.
Old Dec 17, '11, 11:28 am

St. Francis kissed the leper, "and that which was bitter became sweet."

And the leper revealed himself as Christ.

Maybe the sign of peace is a challenge to us to reach out and embrace the Christ that is within us all: the Christ we are soon to meet in the Eucharist.

If we can't greet Christ in the pew next to us, how can we dare consume Christ in the Host?
Old Dec 17, '11, 11:30 am
Banned

Smile Re: How do you feel about the Sign of Peace?

I think hand shake is outdated. Let's us a simple nod of the head.
Old Dec 17, '11, 11:33 am

Religion: Catholic (duh!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
What if the other person is ill? Obviously ill, coughing, wiping their dripping nose on their hands? And yet he still wants to grab your hand. I've seen it.

Not fond of the placing of the Sign of Peace, but it's not up to me.
While i'm no germaphobe, If I had the common cold, I would just wave and say "peace".
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments