Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Dec 21, '11, 6:02 pm

Religion: Catholic
Send a message via MSN to SeanF1989
Default What Bibles do Lutherans read?

Old Dec 21, '11, 6:10 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Evangelical Catholic (Lutheran Church Missouri Synod)
Default Re: What Bibles do Lutherans read?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanF1989 View Post
I assume you are asking about American Lutherans. It depends on the synod as to what Bible is used in liturgy. The LCMS now uses the ESV. What I was growing up LCA, we used RSV. It just depends.
Jon
“This also is certain, that no one should rely on his own wisdom in the interpretation of the Scripture, not even in the clear passages, for it is clearly written in 2 Peter 1:20: ‘The Scripture is not a matter of private interpretation.’
"The best reader of the Scripture, according to Hilary, is one who does not bring the understanding of what is said to the Scripture but who carries it away from the Scripture. "
Chemnitz
Old Dec 21, '11, 6:31 pm

Religion: Evangelical Catholic (Read: High Church Lutheran)

My "flavor" of Lutheranism, the North American Lutheran Church apparently uses (I think) the New International Version, a translation that I don't particularly care for. My former denomination (ELCA) used the NRSV. Personally, I use Douay-Rheims or KJV for lectio divina at home.
Old Dec 21, '11, 6:42 pm

Religion: Lutheran
Send a message via Skype™ to IggyAntiochus

Quote:
As Jon said, for LCMS Lutherans, it will typically be the ESV. I personally prefer it, but am also partial to the RSV and NASB
Old Dec 21, '11, 7:11 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Christian - Traditional Lutheran

In the WELS they use the NIV 1984 but now there is a new NIV version and a lot of pastors are not too sure about the new translation. So my church at college bought a lot of the '84 versions as now they are out of print or soon will be, I'm not sure. I personally use the NKJV.
Old Dec 21, '11, 7:51 pm

Religion: Christian

Quote:
Those churches that follow the Revised Common Lectionary in their worship also tend to read the NRSV because that is the version used in the Lectionary.
Old Dec 21, '11, 10:23 pm

Religion: LC-MS Lutheran

Actually the LC-MS has a fairly new ESV study Bible with Lutheran Notes " The Lutheran Study Bible". The ELCA came out with their version of a Study Bible " Lutheran Study Bible", which they attempt to justify homosexual lifestyle and woman ordination.
Old Dec 21, '11, 10:45 pm

Religion: Orthodox

What is the ESV? I am unfamilar with it. This version seems to be popular with the very conservative LCMS.

What about other synods like ELCA and the Wisconsin synod?
Old Dec 22, '11, 5:36 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Evangelical Catholic (Lutheran Church Missouri Synod)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewstx View Post
What is the ESV? I am unfamilar with it. This version seems to be popular with the very conservative LCMS.

English Standard Version. It isn't so much that its popular, its rather that the synod uses it liturgically now. Previously, we used the NIV. On the popularity front,I would say most like the ESV better than the NIV.

I don't know what Wisconsin uses liturgically, and I suspect the ELCA uses NRSV, though I'm not sure.

Jon
“This also is certain, that no one should rely on his own wisdom in the interpretation of the Scripture, not even in the clear passages, for it is clearly written in 2 Peter 1:20: ‘The Scripture is not a matter of private interpretation.’
"The best reader of the Scripture, according to Hilary, is one who does not bring the understanding of what is said to the Scripture but who carries it away from the Scripture. "
Chemnitz
Old Dec 22, '11, 11:50 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Christian - Traditional Lutheran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewstx View Post

The WELS (Wisconsin) currently uses the NIV but with the new translation of the NIV, there is no official decision as of yet to whether or not the synod will stay with the NIV because of accuracy concerns with the new translation.
Old Dec 22, '11, 12:17 pm

Religion: Lutheran (LCMC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonNC View Post
English Standard Version. It isn't so much that its popular, its rather that the synod uses it liturgically now. Previously, we used the NIV. On the popularity front,I would say most like the ESV better than the NIV.

I don't know what Wisconsin uses liturgically, and I suspect the ELCA uses NRSV, though I'm not sure.

Jon
The ELCA uses the NRSV almost exclusively. Both the NRSV and ESV are revisions of the old Revised Standard Version.

The LCMC has no guidance on Bible translations to use. We're kind of all over the place, though I use the 1984 NIV.
Old Dec 26, '11, 6:53 am

Religion: Bahá'í, formerly Evangelical Christian

Both of my grandparents are deeply Lutheran. They moved out of their ELCA congregation to a Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod an hour away because the ELCA elected a female pastor.

They use this edition of the ESV: http://www.amazon.com/Lutheran-Study...4911125&sr=8-1
Old Dec 28, '11, 7:15 pm

Religion: Lutheran

As others have noted, the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America uses the New Revised Standard Version liturgically. In Bible Study, we may use a number of texts. In my own Bible Study Group, I use the English Standard Version, particularly the Lutheran Study Bible put out by the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod. My pastor prefers the Revised Standard Version, and one of the other members favors the King James Version. We meet in the library and there are a number of different translations available. If I have my laptop with me, I have about 40 different translations at my fingertips.

Today is the Feast of the Holy Innocents. In the NRSV version, Herod has all the children under two years of age killed. In the ESV, the RSV, the KJV, and the DRC, and others, it is only the male children who are killed. If the former case, it makes Herod a paranoid lunatic for even having female children killed. In the other versions, he comes across as a typical Oriental ruler, ruthless and plotting, but still a man who has his wits. The "inclusive" language of the NRSV is its own undoing. I cannot imagine any woman saying, "I think I will be a Christian because I resemble those innocents." Thus doing violence to the historical, sociolological, and theological message of the Gospel is for naught.
Old Dec 29, '11, 9:58 am

Religion: ELCA - Evangelical Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer_7 View Post
Today is the Feast of the Holy Innocents. In the NRSV version, Herod has all the children under two years of age killed. In the ESV, the RSV, the KJV, and the DRC, and others, it is only the male children who are killed. If the former case, it makes Herod a paranoid lunatic for even having female children killed. In the other versions, he comes across as a typical Oriental ruler, ruthless and plotting, but still a man who has his wits. The "inclusive" language of the NRSV is its own undoing. I cannot imagine any woman saying, "I think I will be a Christian because I resemble those innocents." Thus doing violence to the historical, sociolological, and theological message of the Gospel is for naught.
Well said. You hit it on the head.
I am an ELCA vicar. We use the NRSV liturgically, as it is the translation used in the common lectionary. However, for personal use, it really varies person to person. I have members in my congregation who use paraphrases, such as the Message, ESV, NIV, TNIV, NKJV, KJV, RSV, NRSV, ESV, etc. Personally, I use the ESV if my Greek NT and/or Septuagint are unavailable.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions