Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Dec 26, '11, 11:37 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic - Latin Rite
Default Re: Jimmy Swaggart: evangelist, televangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltwin View Post
Well, I'm horrified. I know the AG is definitely against the focus on Mary and the saints. They are also against the "ecumenical movement" (because they see it as being based on a false sense of unity and compromise of truth and not on actual theological agreement), but I think there is very little if any animosity between the AG and the RCC today. I'm sure most people in the AG would admit that there are born again Christians in the Catholic Church.

That being said, years ago Jimmy Swaggert was a leading critic of what he saw as not being compatible with old time Pentecostalism. This included some of the newer charismatic and Word of Faith movements. So I wouldn't say it would be impossible that he would have a stronger line against the Catholic Church than most Pentecostals today.
I was shocked as well, I've been to Church of God and Foursquare Gospel churches and was treated with the utmost kindness (and a fair bit of curiosity). I expected the same at the AG, but that particular AG church seemed to be a anti-Catholic fundamentalists to the core. But I don't know if it's that way now that they have a new pastor,

Old Dec 26, '11, 3:32 pm

Religion: Pentecostal

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryTaylor View Post
Still is bro.

Your better with this than I am as far as understanding this fellow, as I admit my observations are limited with him.

However, for example, what does the Bible state about the Virgin Mother? It states "All Generations will call me Blessed" LUKE 1:48

I never heard Jimmy Swaggart call St Mary "Blessed". I'd much like to see or hear his exegesis on this topic

I've only see his interpretation of St Paul and only a couple chapters. Which gets back to why I asked the original question. It states he has interpreted the entire Bible and has it for sale with a comment after each Bible verse. He was commenting on Romans when I heard him, thus Luther and Justification. And he did state he was going to do Revelation live.

I have not heard John, Luke, Peter or James which I would love to read explained by him.

Peace and Blessings for the Holidays ltwin!
Yeah, I have to say I know very little about his theology. However, essentially he was an advocate for old line Pentecostalism and had a penchant for attacking other Christians. The Bakkers and Marvin Gorman were on the other end of the spectrum, more charismatic and open.

However, I looked back in Margaret Poloma's The Assemblies of God at the Crossroads and found this illuminating quote of Swaggert's from his magazine The Evangelist in 1985.

Quote:
God has spoken to me very strongly about dealing with the Catholic issue and about the issues facing the nation-issues such as abortion, homosexuality . . .
Also, its telling that Poloma says that Swaggert (before his own fall) had a hand in publicizing the moral failings of Marvin Gorman, a fellow AG minister and leader in the charismatic movement and interfaith dialogue. He was part of organizing the 1986 North American Leaders' Congress and the 1987 North American Congress of the Holy Spirit & World Evangelism. Swaggert on the other hand refused to participate in these meetings because Catholic Charismatics were involved.

So unless his beliefs have changed then, yeah it seems like he could be anti-Catholic.
Old Dec 26, '11, 3:42 pm
Banned

Religion: Christian

Francis btw who is she? Is that Jimmys wife?

yes she is his wife. I have to say I do like some of the music. Don't listen to his preaching but like Francais and Friends call in shows.
Old Dec 30, '11, 6:07 am

Religion: Episcopalutheran (TEC & ELCA)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyuiop411 View Post
I was shocked as well, I've been to Church of God and Foursquare Gospel churches and was treated with the utmost kindness (and a fair bit of curiosity). I expected the same at the AG, but that particular AG church seemed to be a anti-Catholic fundamentalists to the core. But I don't know if it's that way now that they have a new pastor,
I think it was just that particular AG church. Most seem to be right in line with Church of God and Foursquare in that respect. Certainly my own AG church is. I've carried a Catholic bible to AG services (I own and use many translations, including several Catholic ones) several times, and never gotten any negative attention for it. And yeah, a change of pastors might make all the difference.
Old Mar 6, '12, 11:16 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izdaari View Post
Have you heard Swaggart slander the CC and Apostolic Churches, or called them cults? I'm not saying you haven't, I'm just seeking clarification. I couldn't say that because I haven't heard him for years, and don't really know what he's teaching these days. But I am AG and he was AG, and I am familiar with their teachings... and they do not, as a denomination, teach against the CC or other Apostolic Churches. They teach differently than them on some doctrines to be sure, but they don't call them out or call them names.
I have heard Jimmy Swaggart saying that the Catholic Church is a cult, so does his sons and his staff.
Old Mar 7, '12, 11:58 am

Religion: Orthodox (ACROD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyuiop411 View Post
Also, and I'm not trying to be offensive when I say this, but the only Church where an attack has been directed against the Church (and quite honestly me personally) was an AG church. What happened was I was invited about a week in advance to attend an AG service with a "friend" of mine, and since I've never been to an AG church I accepted. I met him there that Sunday and went to enter the pew and genuflected (force of habit) and I got the worst looks I have ever seen from people in my life.

But that was just the tip of the iceberg. The sermon that day was supposed to be about "Stewardship of God's Gifts" (their website listed the sermon topic for every upcoming Sunday), but when we got to the sermon it was a full fledged attack on how Catholicism was pagan, of the devil, etc. The pastor finally ended by saying that "Any Catholic visiting this day needs to come up here and confess his sins to God, renounce his evil religion, and be saved" then almost in unison every set of eyes in the church was on me. At the time I though the pastor had suddenly changed the sermon when he heard about my genuflecting, but I later found out that my "friend" had asked the pastor to preach such a sermon in order to "save me".
If I were in your place and able to maintain a calm disposition, I would have marched up to the front of the church, told the pastor to "Step aside, sir!", and given an impromptu sermon explaining to all and sundry what Catholics really believe. I would expect that the message would go in one ear and out the other for a lot of the congregation, but a few charitable and intellectually curious souls might listen.

And as a point of contrast, my Catholic-turned-Pentecostal friend now attends a church where they teach non-symbolic baptism and transubstantiation...
Old Mar 7, '12, 6:54 pm

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
How do the Jimmy Swaggarts followers define the Eucharist in the Bible or in John which is consistant with OT/NT scripture.

I've heard him speak Bible and he seems pretty proficent, however this issue in particular is avoided. Then the CC and Apostolic Churchs are just slandered as cults. Let alone Mormons, Calvinists etc. But somehow Luther is OK with them????

I don't get this, considering Luther in essense took the Mass from the Catholic Monestary he practiced the faith at. However Luthers justification is referred to basically all the time. And of course his condemnation of the Apostolic Churchs.

I find it astounding the man re-wrote the Bible adding his own verse definition/interpretation after every verse

I admit I have never seen John or its interpretations.

Peace
Oh the famous: Oh the Devil made it me do it.
Old Mar 8, '12, 6:16 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Evangelical Catholic (Lutheran Church Missouri Synod)

Quote:
How do the Jimmy Swaggarts followers define the Eucharist in the Bible or in John which is consistant with OT/NT scripture.

I've heard him speak Bible and he seems pretty proficent, however this issue in particular is avoided. Then the CC and Apostolic Churchs are just slandered as cults. Let alone Mormons, Calvinists etc. But somehow Luther is OK with them????

I don't get this, considering Luther in essense took the Mass from the Catholic Monestary he practiced the faith at. However Luthers justification is referred to basically all the time. And of course his condemnation of the Apostolic Churchs.

I find it astounding the man re-wrote the Bible adding his own verse definition/interpretation after every verse

I admit I have never seen John or its interpretations.

Peace
Hey, Gary.
I was just revisiting your post. Regarding the bolded, I just wanted to add that I am sure that Swaggart would not have been ok with Luther.

Jon
“This also is certain, that no one should rely on his own wisdom in the interpretation of the Scripture, not even in the clear passages, for it is clearly written in 2 Peter 1:20: ‘The Scripture is not a matter of private interpretation.’
"The best reader of the Scripture, according to Hilary, is one who does not bring the understanding of what is said to the Scripture but who carries it away from the Scripture. "
Chemnitz
Old Mar 9, '12, 11:44 am
Veteran Member

Religion: Catholic - no buts.

Wait, he still has a TV show? Didn't he, urm, discredit himself rather badly? People still send money after that??

Weird.
Old Mar 9, '12, 12:20 pm

Yes, still have tv ministry called Sonlife Broadcasting Network and people still sending him money. He is 100% anti-Catholic!
Old Mar 9, '12, 2:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by manualman View Post
Wait, he still has a TV show? Didn't he, urm, discredit himself rather badly? People still send money after that??

Weird.
He was discredited, and his ministry was almost destroyed. He admitted that the charges were true, but he refused to abide by the Assemblies of God's rehabilitation program so they defrocked him. His megachurch dwindled to 500. Somehow, he's been able to survive and recover, but his influence is no where near what it used to be.

Relax, stay calm, and no matter what happens don't feed the trolls.
Old Mar 9, '12, 3:23 pm

Jimmy Swaggart is still preaching?! I'm shocked he still has a flock.
Old Mar 10, '12, 5:39 am
Forum Master

Religion: Catholic

Right, Sonlife Broadcasting Network, Assemblies of God is history. I doubt anyone can run a 24hr television show without commercial sponsors with a "small" ministry. Though its apparently a family business, Grandfather/Wife, Son and Grandson. No I'd say its much larger than credited here. As far big as he once was? Probly true I never watched him before. His son and grandson seem to do the preaching now, the show highlights Jimmy Swaggart and wife though. Least from what I've seen, I only caught moments here and there.

He sells his own interpretation of the Bible and his "anointed" music. Actually he's a decent musician, the anointed part it what I find astounding.

Jesus and the Cross is his message. Baptism of the Spirit/Sinners prayer etc. The usual loosey-goosey rap.

"Eternal Father, I offer Thee the Most Precious Blood of Thy Divine Son, Jesus, in union with the Masses said throughout the world today, for all the Holy Souls in Purgatory, for sinners everywhere, for sinners in the universal church, those in my own home and within my family. Amen." St. Gertrude
Old Mar 10, '12, 7:24 am

Religion: Catholic (revert)

Quote:
Actually he's a decent musician, the anointed part it what I find astounding.
Swaggart is cousin to both Jerry Lee Lewis and Mickey Gilley. If he had chosen to go the Country Music route instead of ministry, he might have been named as one of many of the great CM singers of all time.
A shame he never took that route instead.
Old Mar 10, '12, 11:48 am

Quote:
Right, Sonlife Broadcasting Network, Assemblies of God is history. I doubt anyone can run a 24hr television show without commercial sponsors with a "small" ministry. Though its apparently a family business, Grandfather/Wife, Son and Grandson. No I'd say its much larger than credited here. As far big as he once was? Probly true I never watched him before. His son and grandson seem to do the preaching now, the show highlights Jimmy Swaggart and wife though. Least from what I've seen, I only caught moments here and there.

He sells his own interpretation of the Bible and his "anointed" music. Actually he's a decent musician, the anointed part it what I find astounding.

Jesus and the Cross is his message. Baptism of the Spirit/Sinners prayer etc. The usual loosey-goosey rap.
I didn't say it was small today. The 500 number is when all those revelations of indiscretion were made. Obviously, his ministry has recovered, but he won't ever be able to reach the heights from which he fell, not now. He's burned a lot of bridges.

Relax, stay calm, and no matter what happens don't feed the trolls.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions