Catholic FAQ

We were unable to reach our goal for the summer but we have reached 98%
Please consider donating if you can and keep us in your prayers.

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Dec 29, '11, 7:27 am
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic
Send a message via AIM to Holly3278 Send a message via MSN to Holly3278 Send a message via Yahoo to Holly3278
Default The Unity Cult which is a part of the New Thought Movement

Has anyone on here ever heard of the cult known as Unity? They claim to be a "church" and they are a part of the "New Thought" movement which, in my opinion, is very similar to the New Age movement.. Here is an article about the Unity Church:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unity_Church

So yeah, I almost got sucked into this cult a couple of years ago. For some reason I had fell away from Catholicism and was looking for a liberal religion to be a part of. I found out about Unity, which by the way, is very liberal and checked out their "church". I got a ride to their "church" by someone who goes to the "church" which is located in Evansville, Indiana. Well, I went one time and to be honest with you, I was impressed. It seemed like a very nice liberal religion. For reasons that I am not sure of, I quit going after that first visit and thankfully so. I am so glad that I did not get sucked in to this cult. They have a lot of really weird beliefs. They have a website but I won't post it because I do not wish to post the official website of a cult.

So, does anyone else on here know anything about the Unity cult? What do you know about it? How would you recommend witnessing to a member of this cult?

God Bless,
Holly

"If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself." -- Saint Augustine of Hippo

"The holy Rosary is a powerful weapon. Use it with confidence and you'll be amazed at the results."
--St. Josemaria Escriva

“One day, through the Rosary and the Scapular, Our Lady will save the world.”
--Saint Dominic

"Give me an army saying the Rosary and I will conquer the world."
--Blessed Pope Pius IX

Our Lady's 15 Promises to Those Who Pray the Rosary

Come, pray the Rosary

My Live Journal

Holly's Catholic Blog
Old Dec 29, '11, 7:34 am
Banned

Religion: Quaker
Default Re: The Unity Cult which is a part of the New Thought Movement

Unity School of Christianity was began I believe by the Filmore's who were originally Christian Scientists....Sometimes I'll walk over to their meetinghouse and get one or two of their magazines after Meeting is over....the Quaker meetinghouse is only a block away from the Unity meetinghouse.
Old Dec 29, '11, 8:06 am

Religion: Protestant

I would not worry too much. It is a small group. You guys have them beat in membership by about 1.999999999 billion.
Their marketing is not as successful as other groups or they are not very evangelistic..not all groups..I mean cults...are you know
Old Dec 29, '11, 8:57 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Publisher View Post
Unity School of Christianity was began I believe by the Filmore's who were originally Christian Scientists....Sometimes I'll walk over to their meetinghouse and get one or two of their magazines after Meeting is over....the Quaker meetinghouse is only a block away from the Unity meetinghouse.
Yes, they are a breakaway Church from Christian Science. I don't find them to be a cult at all. They use prayer and positive affirmation. They have a strong prayer ethic. I don't know them to be New Age at all. They have a 24 hour prayer line and a few Churches here.

I like their Daily Word because it has prayers for every day in one small volume.
Old Dec 29, '11, 9:00 am
Banned
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic Mormon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
I would not worry too much. It is a small group. You guys have them beat in membership by about 1.999999999 billion.

This made me chuckle. Well said!
Old Dec 29, '11, 9:35 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Christian (seeking admission to the Catholic Church)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly3278 View Post
Has anyone on here ever heard of the cult known as Unity? They claim to be a "church" and they are a part of the "New Thought" movement which, in my opinion, is very similar to the New Age movement.. Here is an article about the Unity Church:

So yeah, I almost got sucked into this cult a couple of years ago. For some reason I had fell away from Catholicism and was looking for a liberal religion to be a part of. I found out about Unity, which by the way, is very liberal and checked out their "church". I got a ride to their "church" by someone who goes to the "church" which is located in Evansville, Indiana. Well, I went one time and to be honest with you, I was impressed. It seemed like a very nice liberal religion. For reasons that I am not sure of, I quit going after that first visit and thankfully so. I am so glad that I did not get sucked in to this cult. They have a lot of really weird beliefs. They have a website but I won't post it because I do not wish to post the official website of a cult.

So, does anyone else on here know anything about the Unity cult? What do you know about it? How would you recommend witnessing to a member of this cult?

God Bless,
Holly
How exactly are you using the word "cult"?

I myself avoid the term because it can mean so many things. The "Unity church" is certainly not orthodox, so if you simply mean "heresy" when you say "cult," then fine--but then why not say "heresy"?

I would not say that Unity is a "cult" in the pejorative quasi-sociological sense in which the term is often used--it isn't particularly authoritarian and doesn't seem to take over people's lives. (I somewhat dislike this usage, because arguably early Christianity was a "cult" in this sense, although certainly there are unhealthy dynamics in close-knit, authoritarian religious groups, and I suppose it's a good thing to have a word for this.)

As for how to witness to them--my organ teacher belongs to this church, and we have arguments about reincarnation occasionally. I try, as respectfully as possible, to come back to the fact that orthodox Christianity is about the body--Unity folks seem to think of Christianity as a purely spiritual affair, about liberating the soul. I think that's the key point that needs to be stressed.

Edwin
Old Dec 29, '11, 9:44 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contarini View Post
How exactly are you using the word "cult"?

I myself avoid the term because it can mean so many things. The "Unity church" is certainly not orthodox, so if you simply mean "heresy" when you say "cult," then fine--but then why not say "heresy"?

I would not say that Unity is a "cult" in the pejorative quasi-sociological sense in which the term is often used--it isn't particularly authoritarian and doesn't seem to take over people's lives. (I somewhat dislike this usage, because arguably early Christianity was a "cult" in this sense, although certainly there are unhealthy dynamics in close-knit, authoritarian religious groups, and I suppose it's a good thing to have a word for this.)

As for how to witness to them--my organ teacher belongs to this church, and we have arguments about reincarnation occasionally. I try, as respectfully as possible, to come back to the fact that orthodox Christianity is about the body--Unity folks seem to think of Christianity as a purely spiritual affair, about liberating the soul. I think that's the key point that needs to be stressed.

Edwin
I agree that you are using the term "cult" incorrectly and that your post could be construed as somewhat offensive to followers of the Unity church. If you really did want to witness to a follower, I would recommend not calling their church a cult. As this poster noted, Unity is actually somewhat the opposite of a cult, very anti-authoritarian. It's just a church that mixes new age beliefs with Christianity. And yes, their numbers are pretty small.

Viva il Papa! Long live Pope Francis!
Old Dec 29, '11, 9:45 am
Banned

Religion: Candidate (RCIA)

Don't call them a cult it's mean and not very charitable
Old Dec 29, '11, 9:55 am
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic Christian

Cult has not always been what we now understand it to mean. So I would ask what the OP's definition is before scolding the OP for being mean.

That said, I have never heard of the group in question.
Old Dec 29, '11, 10:15 am
Veteran Member

Religion: Jewish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Publisher View Post
Are they a non-Trinitarian religious group similar to the Unitarians? I see now they're an offshoot of Christian Science. Is the latter non-Trinitarian as is religious science (science of the mind)?
Old Dec 29, '11, 10:56 am

Religion: Bahá'í, formerly Evangelical Christian

I drive by a "Unity Center" every time I go into Columbus (I'm from the Ohio area). I wasn't sure what it was so I looked it up. The building is pretty small itself, and "Unity" and "Center" are usually words that Bahá'ís in the area use.

It is pretty new age. It's non-Trinitarian as far as I know. I think most of the locals at this "Unity Center" are, to my surprise, older, like 50+. I don't normally associate "new age" with the older crowd. They see Jesus as the perfect spiritual teacher, but think every religious path is valid. I think this local "Unity Center" also has a female pastor, or whatever their equivalent is.

I've never had a conversation with an adherent and I don't know any personally. I'm assuming their quite small, as I'd never heard of them until this year.

In an academic/religious studies sense, sure, they're a cult. But in the sociological sense, they don't actively recruit, there's no central figure, they don't suck resources out of their adherents, and they don't try to cut off contact with family and friends. One is free to go and come as they please.
Old Dec 29, '11, 11:04 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltzerboy View Post
Are they a non-Trinitarian religious group similar to the Unitarians? I see now they're an offshoot of Christian Science. Is the latter non-Trinitarian as is religious science (science of the mind)?
They are non-Trinitarian. They emphasize the divinity of Christ that can be found in all of us, and finding the path to follow through prayer and finding the divinity in all others. They follow the Bible. Emphasis is on prayer and they do not profess to be a stand-alone religion if one wants to supplement with their prayer, but not join or convert.

More of a positive thinking type of religion through affirmation -- along the lines of Norman Vincent Peale. They broke from Christian Science.

They have less structure than Unitarian.

Last edited by Leegal; Dec 29, '11 at 11:16 am.
Old Dec 29, '11, 11:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirza19 View Post
I drive by a "Unity Center" every time I go into Columbus (I'm from the Ohio area). I wasn't sure what it was so I looked it up. The building is pretty small itself, and "Unity" and "Center" are usually words that Bahá'ís in the area use.

It is pretty new age. It's non-Trinitarian as far as I know. I think most of the locals at this "Unity Center" are, to my surprise, older, like 50+. I don't normally associate "new age" with the older crowd. They see Jesus as the perfect spiritual teacher, but think every religious path is valid. I think this local "Unity Center" also has a female pastor, or whatever their equivalent is.

I've never had a conversation with an adherent and I don't know any personally. I'm assuming their quite small, as I'd never heard of them until this year.

In an academic/religious studies sense, sure, they're a cult. But in the sociological sense, they don't actively recruit, there's no central figure, they don't suck resources out of their adherents, and they don't try to cut off contact with family and friends. One is free to go and come as they please.
Exactly. Not sure about the cult part even from a religious studies sense though, since they have no bizarre or abnormal rituals nor do they try and hold or isolate their membership from family or friends, or force conversion. That would be my definition of a cult.
Old Dec 29, '11, 12:29 pm

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by anp1215 View Post
I agree that you are using the term "cult" incorrectly and that your post could be construed as somewhat offensive to followers of the Unity church. If you really did want to witness to a follower, I would recommend not calling their church a cult. As this poster noted, Unity is actually somewhat the opposite of a cult, very anti-authoritarian. It's just a church that mixes new age beliefs with Christianity. And yes, their numbers are pretty small.

IMO, Unity is kind of New Agey. Here is a list of their basic beliefs.

Basic Unity Beliefs
The following are the five basic principles that are the foundation of our Unity beliefs.

1. God is absolute good, everywhere present.
2. Human beings have a spark of divinity within them, the Christ spirit within. Their very essence is of God, and therefore they are also inherently good.
3. Human beings create their experiences by the activity of their thinking. Everything in the manifest realm has its beginnings in thought.
4. Prayer is creative thinking that heightens the connection with God-Mind and therefore brings forth wisdom, healing, prosperity, and everything good.
5. Knowing and understanding the laws of life, also called Truth are not enough. A person must also live the Truth that he or she knows.

"I can do all things through Christ who strengtheneth me." Philippians 4:13
Old Dec 29, '11, 12:35 pm
Banned

Religion: A Christianity that doesn't exclude nor drives liberals away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly3278 View Post

God Bless,
Holly
You don't want to post an official website so you post Wikipedia's version of the Unity Church?

Like some others have said I'd be careful with the word "cult". I've heard SDAs described as a cult. I've even heard on occasion someone call Catholics a cult.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions