Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Dec 29, '11, 4:08 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Question: Water Consecrated for Baptism

Is water consecrated for Baptism on Holy Thursday by the Bishop just as sacramental oils are? If so what happens if a church runs out?

I only ask because my church has a heated baptismal pond with continuously running water, and when the water level gets low, additional (tap) water is added.

I was under the (possibly false) assumption that water added must be consecrated by the Bishop. A fellow parishener explained that the vessel or pond is "blessed" so the water added does not necessarily need to be, because it comes in contact with the consecrated vessel.

Is that correct. Anyone have a reference (canon law, CCC article, etc.)?

Peace in Christ
Old Dec 29, '11, 4:26 pm
Forum Master

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Question: Water Consecrated for Baptism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neofight View Post
Is water consecrated for Baptism on Holy Thursday by the Bishop just as sacramental oils are? If so what happens if a church runs out?

I only ask because my church has a heated baptismal pond with continuously running water, and when the water level gets low, additional (tap) water is added.

I was under the (possibly false) assumption that water added must be consecrated by the Bishop. A fellow parishener explained that the vessel or pond is "blessed" so the water added does not necessarily need to be, because it comes in contact with the consecrated vessel.

Peace in Christ
No, the Bishop doesn't bless the water on Holy Thursday.

The water is blessed before each baptism, except at Easter, when the water blessed at the Vigil is used. The blessing of the water is part of the rite of Baptism.
Old Dec 29, '11, 4:33 pm
Banned
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Traditional Roman Catholic Christian Papist =)

Information on differences in different "categories" (so to speak) of water sacramentals:

Water
Old Dec 29, '11, 5:14 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
I was under the (possibly false) assumption that water added must be consecrated by the Bishop.
Priests may bless water. The bishop does not have to do so. The priest blesses the holy water regularly (i.e. water placed in the holy water fonts and available for you to take home) and blesses water in the baptismal font for baptisms as needed.

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old Dec 29, '11, 5:39 pm

Religion: catholic

the water is blessed during the baptism rite
Old Dec 29, '11, 6:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ke View Post
Priests may bless water. The bishop does not have to do so. The priest blesses the holy water regularly (i.e. water placed in the holy water fonts and available for you to take home) and blesses water in the baptismal font for baptisms as needed.

As do deacons, who also perform the solemn Rite of Baptism.
Old Dec 29, '11, 11:21 pm
Banned

As others have stated, the priest or deacon blesses the water prior to baptism. If an emergency baptism was necessary, anyone could baptize using any water available, even unblessed water, and just use the Trinitarian formula.
Old Dec 30, '11, 6:34 am

The waters blessed at the Easter Vigil service are intended for Baptisms on that night. Normally baptismal water is blessed at the beginning of each baptismal service and poured away to earth when it is no longer required. We are now more sensitive to the requirements of infants in terms of water temperature and cleanliness.

In the mediaeval church it used to remain in the font and was used throughout the year (breaking the ice when necessary). There was an abuse whereby people would steal the baptismal water for ceremonies at home. This was condemned by my church's patron saint, Edmund of Canterbury who insisted that all English Baptismal fonts should have a lockable lid. He also introduced the practice of blessing "lustral" water - what we generally call holy water - for minor blessings and sprinkling. Baptismal water and lustral water should never be mixed - although this is a common abuse.
Old Dec 30, '11, 8:52 am
Banned

Religion: Latin Catholic

Quote:

Peace in Christ
No, water is usually blessed by a priest. He blesses fresh water for each baptism. I believe, however, that the water blessed at the Paschal Vigil on Holy Saturday night is retained for use during the remainder of the Easter season.
Old Dec 30, '11, 11:17 am

Religion: catholic

All the churches I've been to all have baptismal fonts and the water in those fonts is the same from one baptism to another. Now it might be that the priest re-blesses the water, but it is the same water, because they never empty it. Or they might empty it once in a while for sanitary purposes. But this is not done on a regular basis.

I do have another question for someone. Is there a any real difference between Baptismal water and blessed holy water since they are both blessed? Isn't blessed water blessed water?
Old Dec 30, '11, 3:11 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred conty View Post
All the churches I've been to all have baptismal fonts and the water in those fonts is the same from one baptism to another. Now it might be that the priest re-blesses the water, but it is the same water, because they never empty it. Or they might empty it once in a while for sanitary purposes. But this is not done on a regular basis.
Are you sure it isn't changed more frequently? We sometimes think that things don't happen in our parishes because we don't see them happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred conty View Post
I do have another question for someone. Is there a any real difference between Baptismal water and blessed holy water since they are both blessed? Isn't blessed water blessed water?
I'm not going to say yes for certain. But, I'd come to the same conclusion as you: holy water is holy water.
Old Jan 5, '12, 3:21 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Thanks all, for the insightful replies.

Another question came to mind as I made my way throught the thread.

A few made mention of Baptismal or Holy Water being "blessed".

Is "blessing" of water for Baptismal purposes an accurate description, or is "consecrated" more accurate because the water will be used for sacramental purposes?
Old Jan 6, '12, 9:50 am
Banned

Quote:
Thanks all, for the insightful replies.

Another question came to mind as I made my way throught the thread.

A few made mention of Baptismal or Holy Water being "blessed".

Is "blessing" of water for Baptismal purposes an accurate description, or is "consecrated" more accurate because the water will be used for sacramental purposes?
I believe the correct term is 'bless'.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments