Catholic FAQ


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #1  
Old Dec 29, '11, 4:08 pm
Neofight's Avatar
Neofight Neofight is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: December 28, 2011
Posts: 1,909
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Question: Water Consecrated for Baptism

Is water consecrated for Baptism on Holy Thursday by the Bishop just as sacramental oils are? If so what happens if a church runs out?

I only ask because my church has a heated baptismal pond with continuously running water, and when the water level gets low, additional (tap) water is added.

I was under the (possibly false) assumption that water added must be consecrated by the Bishop. A fellow parishener explained that the vessel or pond is "blessed" so the water added does not necessarily need to be, because it comes in contact with the consecrated vessel.

Is that correct. Anyone have a reference (canon law, CCC article, etc.)?

Peace in Christ
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old Dec 29, '11, 4:26 pm
Phemie Phemie is offline
Forum Master
 
Join Date: November 27, 2007
Posts: 13,533
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Question: Water Consecrated for Baptism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neofight View Post
Is water consecrated for Baptism on Holy Thursday by the Bishop just as sacramental oils are? If so what happens if a church runs out?

I only ask because my church has a heated baptismal pond with continuously running water, and when the water level gets low, additional (tap) water is added.

I was under the (possibly false) assumption that water added must be consecrated by the Bishop. A fellow parishener explained that the vessel or pond is "blessed" so the water added does not necessarily need to be, because it comes in contact with the consecrated vessel.

Is that correct. Anyone have a reference (canon law, CCC article, etc.)?

Peace in Christ
No, the Bishop doesn't bless the water on Holy Thursday.

The water is blessed before each baptism, except at Easter, when the water blessed at the Vigil is used. The blessing of the water is part of the rite of Baptism.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old Dec 29, '11, 4:33 pm
DihydrogenOxide DihydrogenOxide is offline
Banned
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: November 28, 2009
Posts: 1,469
Religion: Traditional Roman Catholic Christian Papist =)
Default Re: Question: Water Consecrated for Baptism

Information on differences in different "categories" (so to speak) of water sacramentals:

Water
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old Dec 29, '11, 5:14 pm
1ke 1ke is offline
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: May 25, 2004
Posts: 24,835
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Question: Water Consecrated for Baptism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neofight View Post
I was under the (possibly false) assumption that water added must be consecrated by the Bishop.
Priests may bless water. The bishop does not have to do so. The priest blesses the holy water regularly (i.e. water placed in the holy water fonts and available for you to take home) and blesses water in the baptismal font for baptisms as needed.
__________________
Pax, ke

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Dec 29, '11, 5:39 pm
aussiemel's Avatar
aussiemel aussiemel is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: February 22, 2011
Posts: 39
Religion: catholic
Default Re: Question: Water Consecrated for Baptism

the water is blessed during the baptism rite
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Dec 29, '11, 6:29 pm
Tarpeian Rock's Avatar
Tarpeian Rock Tarpeian Rock is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: July 17, 2010
Posts: 2,396
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Question: Water Consecrated for Baptism

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ke View Post
Priests may bless water. The bishop does not have to do so. The priest blesses the holy water regularly (i.e. water placed in the holy water fonts and available for you to take home) and blesses water in the baptismal font for baptisms as needed.


As do deacons, who also perform the solemn Rite of Baptism.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Dec 29, '11, 11:21 pm
Catholic90 Catholic90 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: November 12, 2004
Posts: 16,671
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Question: Water Consecrated for Baptism

As others have stated, the priest or deacon blesses the water prior to baptism. If an emergency baptism was necessary, anyone could baptize using any water available, even unblessed water, and just use the Trinitarian formula.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old Dec 30, '11, 6:34 am
jimrob jimrob is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: June 24, 2007
Posts: 387
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Question: Water Consecrated for Baptism

The waters blessed at the Easter Vigil service are intended for Baptisms on that night. Normally baptismal water is blessed at the beginning of each baptismal service and poured away to earth when it is no longer required. We are now more sensitive to the requirements of infants in terms of water temperature and cleanliness.

In the mediaeval church it used to remain in the font and was used throughout the year (breaking the ice when necessary). There was an abuse whereby people would steal the baptismal water for ceremonies at home. This was condemned by my church's patron saint, Edmund of Canterbury who insisted that all English Baptismal fonts should have a lockable lid. He also introduced the practice of blessing "lustral" water - what we generally call holy water - for minor blessings and sprinkling. Baptismal water and lustral water should never be mixed - although this is a common abuse.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old Dec 30, '11, 8:52 am
Matthew Holford's Avatar
Matthew Holford Matthew Holford is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: August 15, 2010
Posts: 2,921
Religion: Latin Catholic
Default Re: Question: Water Consecrated for Baptism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neofight View Post
Is water consecrated for Baptism on Holy Thursday by the Bishop just as sacramental oils are? If so what happens if a church runs out?

I only ask because my church has a heated baptismal pond with continuously running water, and when the water level gets low, additional (tap) water is added.

I was under the (possibly false) assumption that water added must be consecrated by the Bishop. A fellow parishener explained that the vessel or pond is "blessed" so the water added does not necessarily need to be, because it comes in contact with the consecrated vessel.

Is that correct. Anyone have a reference (canon law, CCC article, etc.)?

Peace in Christ
No, water is usually blessed by a priest. He blesses fresh water for each baptism. I believe, however, that the water blessed at the Paschal Vigil on Holy Saturday night is retained for use during the remainder of the Easter season.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old Dec 30, '11, 11:17 am
fred conty fred conty is online now
Regular Member
 
Join Date: December 15, 2010
Posts: 5,677
Religion: catholic
Default Re: Question: Water Consecrated for Baptism

All the churches I've been to all have baptismal fonts and the water in those fonts is the same from one baptism to another. Now it might be that the priest re-blesses the water, but it is the same water, because they never empty it. Or they might empty it once in a while for sanitary purposes. But this is not done on a regular basis.

I do have another question for someone. Is there a any real difference between Baptismal water and blessed holy water since they are both blessed? Isn't blessed water blessed water?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old Dec 30, '11, 3:11 pm
Matthew Holford's Avatar
Matthew Holford Matthew Holford is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: August 15, 2010
Posts: 2,921
Religion: Latin Catholic
Default Re: Question: Water Consecrated for Baptism

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred conty View Post
All the churches I've been to all have baptismal fonts and the water in those fonts is the same from one baptism to another. Now it might be that the priest re-blesses the water, but it is the same water, because they never empty it. Or they might empty it once in a while for sanitary purposes. But this is not done on a regular basis.
Are you sure it isn't changed more frequently? We sometimes think that things don't happen in our parishes because we don't see them happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred conty View Post
I do have another question for someone. Is there a any real difference between Baptismal water and blessed holy water since they are both blessed? Isn't blessed water blessed water?
I'm not going to say yes for certain. But, I'd come to the same conclusion as you: holy water is holy water.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old Jan 5, '12, 3:21 pm
Neofight's Avatar
Neofight Neofight is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: December 28, 2011
Posts: 1,909
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Question: Water Consecrated for Baptism

Thanks all, for the insightful replies.

Another question came to mind as I made my way throught the thread.

A few made mention of Baptismal or Holy Water being "blessed".

Is "blessing" of water for Baptismal purposes an accurate description, or is "consecrated" more accurate because the water will be used for sacramental purposes?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old Jan 6, '12, 9:50 am
Matthew Holford's Avatar
Matthew Holford Matthew Holford is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: August 15, 2010
Posts: 2,921
Religion: Latin Catholic
Default Re: Question: Water Consecrated for Baptism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neofight View Post
Thanks all, for the insightful replies.

Another question came to mind as I made my way throught the thread.

A few made mention of Baptismal or Holy Water being "blessed".

Is "blessing" of water for Baptismal purposes an accurate description, or is "consecrated" more accurate because the water will be used for sacramental purposes?
I believe the correct term is 'bless'.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8540Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: Kellyreneeomara
5202CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: tawny
4434Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: DesertSister62
4037OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: eschator83
3870SOLITUDE
Last by: tuscany
3841Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: DesertSister62
3401Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: grateful_child
3301Poems and Reflections
Last by: PathWalker
3231Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: Rifester
3152For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: flower lady



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:15 pm.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.