Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Dec 30, '11, 12:01 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default 1962 Missal help

Hey guys I just received a 1962 Missal the other day and I'm hoping to go to the EF form this weekend. Does anyone know that pages I should mark for this weekend to follow along? I have the Baronius Press version. I think I have it partially set but I'm not sure if it's right. Thank you for any help you can give.
Old Dec 30, '11, 12:15 pm

Religion: Latin Catholic
Default Re: 1962 Missal help

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffersonD View Post
Hey guys I just received a 1962 Missal the other day and I'm hoping to go to the EF form this weekend. Does anyone know that pages I should mark for this weekend to follow along? I have the Baronius Press version. I think I have it partially set but I'm not sure if it's right. Thank you for any help you can give.
1 January is Sunday. In the EF it is the Circumcision of the Lord, so you should look for that in the relevant part of the missal.

Also mark the Order of Mass (Ordo Missae), which contains the Gloria, Kyrie, Credo, etc.

You will need to mark both to follow the whole mass.

Deference to tradition should be taken for granted.
Devoted bibliophile.
Old Dec 30, '11, 2:56 pm
Forum Elder

Here's some help hopefully.

http://virgomaterdie.com/1962_propers_2012.htm
Old Dec 30, '11, 3:10 pm

Oh, that's an excellent Missal - I got one for my confirmation and even though I rarely get to attend EF these days it's still a very useful devotional resource (and, thankfully, it comes with plenty of ribbons).
Old Dec 30, '11, 3:29 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Arrow Re: 1962 Missal help

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTradCath View Post
1 January is Sunday. In the EF it is the Circumcision of the Lord, so you should look for that in the relevant part of the missal.
Actually there is no feast of the Circumcision in the 1962 missal. It is called only the Octave Day of the Nativity, though with the same propers.
Old Dec 30, '11, 3:32 pm

Religion: Latin Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatter163 View Post
Actually there is no feast of the Circumcision in the 1962 missal. It is called only the Octave Day of the Nativity, though with the same propers.
:O

Deference to tradition should be taken for granted.
Devoted bibliophile.
Old Dec 30, '11, 6:05 pm
Banned

Religion: Roman Catholic

If you will be attending the Low Mass, don't forget to mark the prayers for after, on the off chance they are not memorized. I don't know if your missal places them directly after the Order of the Mass or not. I have the Angelus Press version and they're right after the Ordo Missae.

YTC hit it with the things you basically need to mark. Pay attention to if the Collect or another thing typical of the Mass is found on another page or in another section. Certain days are celebrating multiple reasons.

The key, if you get lost, is to pay attention to the actions of the Priest and listen for key words which are at the end of a prayer or starting it. Then just flip through the pages looking for that. "Dominus vobiscum" sections and what follows after generally are the way I regain my place if I get lost. You might arrive early and consult with someone who looks like they know what they're doing. I would have been totally lost at my first EF/TLM were it not for the help of a parishioner.

If you go enough, it becomes much easier. The majority of people I see at the TLM are mouthing along with the entire Mass, often just consulting the Missal for longer parts. I'm not at that level yet.

I was very excited the first time I was able to follow along in totality. The entire beauty of the EF Mass, not just what it obviously represents, but the actual bare bones beauty of the Mass just hits you in a way that is indescribable.

Congrats on your recent gift/purchase.
Old Dec 30, '11, 6:14 pm
Veteran Member

Religion: Roman Catholic- Old Rite & Daughter of Dominic

I have the Angelus Press missal, so I'm not sure how things are laid out in the Baronius.

One thing that used to stump me is the Preface. There are almost 40 Prefaces in my missal and I used to wonder, how do you know which one to read?

Little did I know I was missing a one liner that said exactly which Preface was being read and on what page.

FYI, the Preface for Sunday is the Preface for Christmas.

HOC EST ENIM CORPUS MEUM
Old Dec 30, '11, 6:25 pm
Banned

Hah! We have the same Missal! I got mine this Christmas from my parents, what about you?

Page 900 is the start of the Mass of the Catechumens, so mark that with one of the ribbons. With the other ribbon mark page 220, "Sunday within the Octave of the Nativity of Our Lord".
Old Dec 30, '11, 6:28 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueLight View Post
I have the Angelus Press missal, so I'm not sure how things are laid out in the Baronius.

One thing that used to stump me is the Preface. There are almost 40 Prefaces in my missal and I used to wonder, how do you know which one to read?

Little did I know I was missing a one liner that said exactly which Preface was being read and on what page.

FYI, the Preface for Sunday is the Preface for Christmas.
I think the Preface of the Holy Trinity is the most used and easiest to follow. Not a bad one to memorize as it's used in the OF as well and it contains a ton of good Catholic theology.
Old Dec 30, '11, 6:31 pm
Veteran Member

Religion: Roman Catholic- Old Rite & Daughter of Dominic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProVobis View Post
I think the Preface of the Holy Trinity is the most used and easiest to follow. Not a bad one to memorize as it's used in the OF as well and it contains a ton of good Catholic theology.
Thanks for the tip!

Frankly these days I just close my eyes and listen since the wording isn't all that different anyway and I listen for the "dicentes".

Then down we go on our knees.

HOC EST ENIM CORPUS MEUM
Old Dec 30, '11, 6:52 pm

Religion: RC

The key to understanding Latin Mass is to understand that not just the words- but every action of the priest and altar servers are guided by the rules.

By watching and listening you can see how the Mass is progressing.

Trying to follow along word by word what the priest is saving in the missal is very difficult way of doing it.

If you attend long enough and often enough, you will be able to determine exactly where the priest is in the mass just by his actions, even if you walk in during the middle of mass.
Old Dec 30, '11, 7:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbhorton View Post
I have the Angelus Press version

I have this one, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProVobis View Post
My 1945 Fr. Lasance missal has the Preface of the Holy Trinity in the Ordinary of the Mass, with the other 15 prefaces after the 'Prayers after Low Mass'. I've had this missal for many years and it will always be my favorite.

"God will judge us by our fidelity to His Church and our obedience to Peter." Br. Jason Richard, FFV
Old Dec 30, '11, 8:31 pm

Thanks guys. I've been going to the EF Mass fairly regularly. I got the Missal mostly to have the readings, especially for Ember days, so that I know what the readings are. I'm hoping to start serving at the EF Mass soon and so it's nice to have the prayers I will need to memorize in a good format. Thanks for all of the help as I feel like I have a better hang of setting it. God bless

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism