Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jan 3, '12, 4:14 pm

Religion: finally Catholic!!!
Default Picking a Confirmation Saint

I知 a candidate in RCIA. I知 going to be confirmed soon and need to pick a confirmation saint. I致e narrowed the list to three saints I知 considering. The one whose intercession I seek the most, who I feel closest to, is male (I知 female). Does the saint whose name I take at Confirmation have to be the same gender as me?
Old Jan 3, '12, 4:55 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Picking a Confirmation Saint

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopeful3542 View Post
I知 a candidate in RCIA. I知 going to be confirmed soon and need to pick a confirmation saint. I致e narrowed the list to three saints I知 considering. The one whose intercession I seek the most, who I feel closest to, is male (I知 female). Does the saint whose name I take at Confirmation have to be the same gender as me?
No it doesn't!

And, Welcome sister.

When my wife and I went through RCIA and entered into the Church there were several people that chose name of the opposite sex.

Just remember to continue your education after RCIA. There is so much to learn and you will never know everything.

It has been nearly 4 years for us. Easter Vigil 2008 was baptism (for my wife), confirmation, first Eucharist (WOW! what a great experience, and is every time since), plus our marriage was blessed (a nun arranged for this) during the vigil also! We had what we came to learn, what is called the GRAND SLAM!
Old Jan 3, '12, 6:19 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic (ex-Protestant)

Quote:
I'm female, and my patron saint is male. Its common.

I wanted a really cool name with 10 or more letters than included X, Y and Z at least once, but I ended up with something painfully ordinary like "Francis".

Ah Lord! do not withdraw,
Lest want of aw
Make Sinne appeare;
And when thou dost but shine lesse cleare,
Say, that thou art not here.

George Herbert, "A Parodie"
Old Jan 4, '12, 9:39 am
Banned

Religion: Latin Catholic

Quote:
No, the saint chosen doesn't have to be the same sex as you. It isn't unusual to select a saint of the opposite sex. I think it's quite usual, too, among religious to have as their religious name, the name of a saint of the opposite sex.
Old Jan 4, '12, 10:33 am

Send a message via Yahoo to dconklin

Girls may choose a male saint's name. A girl can even 'feminize' a male saint's name (I am sure I will catch flack for that). Taking a saint's name is not a requirement for the sacrament, but is more of a teaching tool. It is not sacramental. It does not get recorded on your Baptismal certificate. The purpose is to identify with a saint that inspires you. You are seeking an advocate - as opposed to a name. People have chosen names of people from the OT and girls may choose one of the Virtues.

When someone asks you to think about 'what Jesus would do', remember he thought it was fitting to get fired up and turn tables over.
Old Jan 4, '12, 10:50 am

Religion: Roman Catholic (ex-Protestant)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dconklin View Post
Girls may choose a male saint's name. A girl can even 'feminize' a male saint's name (I am sure I will catch flack for that). Taking a saint's name is not a requirement for the sacrament, but is more of a teaching tool. It is not sacramental. It does not get recorded on your Baptismal certificate. The purpose is to identify with a saint that inspires you. You are seeking an advocate - as opposed to a name. People have chosen names of people from the OT and girls may choose one of the Virtues.
Yes, I have heard of girls altering the names of male patrons for Confirmation, from "Francis" to "Frances", or "Thomas" to "Thomasina", etc.

Ah Lord! do not withdraw,
Lest want of aw
Make Sinne appeare;
And when thou dost but shine lesse cleare,
Say, that thou art not here.

George Herbert, "A Parodie"
Old Jan 4, '12, 10:52 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

Quote:
. Does the saint whose name I take at Confirmation have to be the same gender as me?
no not at all, in fact in many cultures it is common for men for instance to add the name of Mary to their own name. You are not changing your legal name so choose any saint who has special meaning for you.
Old Jan 4, '12, 12:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by anodos View Post
Yes, I have heard of girls altering the names of male patrons for Confirmation, from "Francis" to "Frances", or "Thomas" to "Thomasina", etc.
Yep! My confirmation name is Francisca

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments