Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jan 4, '12, 6:52 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic
Send a message via AIM to Holly3278 Send a message via MSN to Holly3278 Send a message via Yahoo to Holly3278
Default What is the difference between spiritual gifts and spiritual fruits?

Hey everyone. I have a prayer book and there are two prayers to the Holy Spirit in it. One of the prayers is asking for spiritual gifts and the other is asking for spiritual fruits. Well, to be honest with you, I really don't know what the difference between the two are. I also don't know what each one means. Could you please explain the difference between the two and also what spiritual fruits and spiritual gifts means?

Finally, what is the difference between spiritual fruits and spiritual gifts and virtues?

"If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself." -- Saint Augustine of Hippo

"The holy Rosary is a powerful weapon. Use it with confidence and you'll be amazed at the results."
--St. Josemaria Escriva

“One day, through the Rosary and the Scapular, Our Lady will save the world.”
--Saint Dominic

"Give me an army saying the Rosary and I will conquer the world."
--Blessed Pope Pius IX

Our Lady's 15 Promises to Those Who Pray the Rosary

Come, pray the Rosary

My Live Journal

Holly's Catholic Blog
Old Jan 4, '12, 7:19 pm

Default Re: What is the difference between spiritual gifts and spiritual fruits?

Spiritual gifts: wisdom, understanding, counsel (right judgement), fortitude (courage), knowledge, piety (reverence), and fear of the Lord (wonder and awe).-supernatural graces given by the Holy Spirit.

Fruit of the Holy Spirit: love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.--Christ-like attributes of a true Christian life.

Virtues: faith, hope and charity---- character qualities associated with salvation, resulting from the grace of God, which enlightens the human mind.
Old Jan 4, '12, 7:44 pm
Forum Master

Default Re: What is the difference between spiritual gifts and spiritual fruits?

Holly3278 I think asia53 gave a really good explanation already but you can read more on the following links CatholicDoors dot com. You can even email the webmaster and he will provide you with a more thorough answer if you need one.

The Gifts of the Holy Spirit

http://www.catholicdoors.com/faq/qu36.htm

Fruits of the Holy Spirit

http://www.catholicdoors.com/faq/qu37.htm

Virtues (Cardinal)

http://www.catholicdoors.com/faq/qu35.htm

Virtues (Theological)

http://www.catholicdoors.com/faq/qu34.htm

Holly3278 If you don't mind can you please share with us these two Prayers to the Holy Spirit or can you please provide a link/website, please and thank you?

Here is one I started back in the summer/autumn "Prayer to the Holy Spirit by: St. Theresa Benedicta of the Cross (St. Edith Stein)"

http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=485484

God bless,

goforgoal
"I thirst, I thirst for Jesus alone! Happy the souls who suffer in secret, known to God alone! How I love a soul suffering with patience, hidden with God alone! Once you have given God something, you must never take it back." ~ Blessed Maryam Bawārdī
Old Jan 6, '12, 9:39 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Send a message via AIM to Holly3278 Send a message via MSN to Holly3278 Send a message via Yahoo to Holly3278

Sorry it took me so long to respond. I want to thank all of you for your help, including Goforgoal for links. Here is the two prayers in my prayer book:

For the Seven Gifts of the Spirit

O Lord Jesus, through You I humbly beg our merciful Father to send the Holy Spirit of grace, that He may bestow upon us His sevenfold gifts.

May He send us the gift of wisdom which will make us relish the Tree of Life that is none other than Yourself; the gift of understanding which will enlighten us; the gift of counsel which will guide us in the way of righteousness; and the gift of fortitude which will give us the strength to vanquish the enemies of our sanctification and salvation.

May He impart to us the gift of knowledge which will enable us to discern Your teaching and distinguish good from evil; the gift of piety which will make us enjoy true peace; and the gift of fear which will make us shun all iniquity and avoid all danger of offending Your majesty.

To the Father, and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit be given all glory and thanksgiving forever. Amen.

- Saint Bonaventure

For the Twelve Fruits of the Spirit

Holy Spirit, eternal Love of the Father and the Son, kindly bestow on us the fruit of charity, that we may be united to You by divine love; the fruit of joy, that that we may be filled with holy consolation; the fruit of peace, that we may enjoy tranquility of soul; and the fruit of patience, that we may endure humbly everything that may be opposed to our own desires.

Divine Spirit, be pleased to infuse in us the fruit of benignity, that we may willingly relieve our neighbor's necessities; the fruit of goodness, that we may be benevolent toward all; the fruit of longanimity, that we may not be discouraged by delay but may persevere in prayer; and the fruit of mildness, that we may subdue every rising of all ill temper, stifle every murmur, and repress the susceptibilities of our nature in all our dealing with our neighbor.

Creator Spirit, graciously impart to us the fruit of fidelity, that we may rely with assured confidence on the word of God; the fruit of modesty, that we may act becomingly; and the fruits of continence and chastity that we may keep our bodies in such holiness as befits Your temple, so that, having by Your assistance preserved our hearts pure on earth, we may merit in Jesus Christ, according to the words of the Gospel, to see God eternally in the glory of His kingdom. Amen.

Alright, well that is all of the prayers. Anyway, in my prayer book each fruit or gift is in italics but I did not do that in this post. My prayer books also does not put Amen at the end of all the prayers so I added that myself.

"If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself." -- Saint Augustine of Hippo

"The holy Rosary is a powerful weapon. Use it with confidence and you'll be amazed at the results."
--St. Josemaria Escriva

“One day, through the Rosary and the Scapular, Our Lady will save the world.”
--Saint Dominic

"Give me an army saying the Rosary and I will conquer the world."
--Blessed Pope Pius IX

Our Lady's 15 Promises to Those Who Pray the Rosary

Come, pray the Rosary

My Live Journal

Holly's Catholic Blog
Old Jan 7, '12, 10:56 am
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly3278 View Post
Sorry it took me so long to respond. I want to thank all of you for your help, including Goforgoal for links. Here is the two prayers in my prayer book:

For the Seven Gifts of the Spirit

O Lord Jesus, through You I humbly beg our merciful Father to send the Holy Spirit of grace, that He may bestow upon us His sevenfold gifts.

May He send us the gift of wisdom which will make us relish the Tree of Life that is none other than Yourself; the gift of understanding which will enlighten us; the gift of counsel which will guide us in the way of righteousness; and the gift of fortitude which will give us the strength to vanquish the enemies of our sanctification and salvation.

May He impart to us the gift of knowledge which will enable us to discern Your teaching and distinguish good from evil; the gift of piety which will make us enjoy true peace; and the gift of fear which will make us shun all iniquity and avoid all danger of offending Your majesty.

To the Father, and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit be given all glory and thanksgiving forever. Amen.

- Saint Bonaventure

For the Twelve Fruits of the Spirit

Holy Spirit, eternal Love of the Father and the Son, kindly bestow on us the fruit of charity, that we may be united to You by divine love; the fruit of joy, that that we may be filled with holy consolation; the fruit of peace, that we may enjoy tranquility of soul; and the fruit of patience, that we may endure humbly everything that may be opposed to our own desires.

Divine Spirit, be pleased to infuse in us the fruit of benignity, that we may willingly relieve our neighbor's necessities; the fruit of goodness, that we may be benevolent toward all; the fruit of longanimity, that we may not be discouraged by delay but may persevere in prayer; and the fruit of mildness, that we may subdue every rising of all ill temper, stifle every murmur, and repress the susceptibilities of our nature in all our dealing with our neighbor.

Creator Spirit, graciously impart to us the fruit of fidelity, that we may rely with assured confidence on the word of God; the fruit of modesty, that we may act becomingly; and the fruits of continence and chastity that we may keep our bodies in such holiness as befits Your temple, so that, having by Your assistance preserved our hearts pure on earth, we may merit in Jesus Christ, according to the words of the Gospel, to see God eternally in the glory of His kingdom. Amen.

Alright, well that is all of the prayers. Anyway, in my prayer book each fruit or gift is in italics but I did not do that in this post. My prayer books also does not put Amen at the end of all the prayers so I added that myself.
Thank you for taking the time to copy the "Holy Spirit" Prayers down Holly3278 I enjoy learning and discovering "new" Prayers.

God bless you,

goforgoal
"I thirst, I thirst for Jesus alone! Happy the souls who suffer in secret, known to God alone! How I love a soul suffering with patience, hidden with God alone! Once you have given God something, you must never take it back." ~ Blessed Maryam Bawārdī

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality