Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jan 6, '12, 10:08 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Do you give 10% to the Church?

I am going to start my career life and determined to give 10% to the church or poor people, is it practicable? and are you doing it?
Old Jan 6, '12, 10:15 am

Default Re: Do you give 10% to the Church?

I believe it is practicable, and I make every effort to do it. I don't really keep a detailed account though; I often give cash privately to individuals in need and seriously try to forget to-whom and how-much; I don't want to keep a mental note that might become a "he owes me!" mentality.

But I do also make a regular habit of writing out that check to my church and favorite charities for a specific amount so I do know I'm very close to 10%, if not over. I just don't want to obsess or be legalistic about it, ya know?

I really do believe that God pours out more to us, the more we give. Don't withhold or be stingy - it's all His anyway!

Read the Catholic Bible in a Year ... a clickable reading plan that you can start any time!
Old Jan 6, '12, 10:28 am

I give more than 10%.. What I do is electronic deposit. I have my bank send a check every week to my parish, just like paying bills online. It is my weekly offering.

"May Mary, who bearing Jesus in her womb was the first living "tabernacle" of the Eucharist, communicate to us her same faith in the holy mystery of the Body and Blood of her divine Son, so that it may truly be the centre of our life."
--Pope Benedict XVI

Last edited by Cathryn; Jan 6, '12 at 10:39 am.
Old Jan 6, '12, 10:34 am
Banned

Oi Vey I wish I could give 10%... If I gave 10% i'd be bankrupted... I give as much as I can to the Church indirectly through affiliated Catholic ministries and organizations throughout the year... I also give a lump sum donation to the Church directly around Christmas time from my bonus...

But wow 10% not on my meager wages
Old Jan 6, '12, 10:45 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: catholic
Unhappy Re: Do you give 10% to the Church?

I agree with socialcath101 it is financialy impossible to feed the poor and my family without someone dieing because they have no money for doctor or medicine so giving 10%to the church is Impossible also my family would leave me because our parish is weathy . if I gave 10% it would mean id committ a mortal sin of stealing. its IMPOSSIBLE. as no one has employment also do you give 10% of what income?? we have no money tree

Last edited by bcra; Jan 6, '12 at 10:52 am. Reason: correction
Old Jan 6, '12, 11:13 am

I have given a variety of %ages to Charities as my requirements varied.

The usual recommendation is 5% to the Church and 5% to other Charities.

Some years that other charities is people I know, family, or causes I support. Some years it is the Church like priestly retirement fund, capital campaigns, Catholic Charities.

I have not found 10% to be a problem. But I did not jump to it. Rather, in my career, as I got raises, the additional income went to increase my donations. So my raise increased my percentage donated and I did not see an increase in income. But I was accustomed to the income level so it was no hardship. Once I reached 10-15% I started accepting the raise for myself. Had to reset my base level when married, children arrived, etc. Eventually, I was donating to charity and could start saving for retirement.

Live a simple life, below your means. Travel rarely. Vacation within a day's drive of home. Take your lunch to work. Commute using public transportation. Do without cable, extra cell phone services, etc. Use the public library for books, videos, etc. You pay for it with your taxes, Use IT.
Old Jan 6, '12, 11:15 am
Veteran Member

Religion: Roman Catholic- Old Rite & Daughter of Dominic

I am currently prayerfully considering my giving and I am working up to 10%. Trust me, even if you have a job, it can be tough to give 10%. However, I know that by looking at my spending, and cutting out unnecessary things (this is where detachment from worldly goods comes in), I will be able to give more and more.

My giving is currently split up between two parishes and I plan to look at other opportunities to give.

HOC EST ENIM CORPUS MEUM
Old Jan 6, '12, 11:18 am

Religion: Recovering Protestant

I think 10% is realistic figure. One thing we have to remember, it is not our money anyway. God gave us the gift and we are simply giving Him back some of His money to use for His Church.
Old Jan 6, '12, 11:30 am

Like many, I have a fairly meager income (though of course our Lord blesses me with all that I need and then some); most of my extra money goes to help my mom and sister, who live far below the poverty line. Right now, I donate my time and talent instead, acting as cantor and sometimes lector for the Saturday evening Mass at my parish. I have begun cutting out a lot of the luxuries in my life in hopes that my money situation will improve, though.
Old Jan 6, '12, 11:38 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Shorter View Post
I think 10% is realistic figure. One thing we have to remember, it is not our money anyway. God gave us the gift and we are simply giving Him back some of His money to use for His Church.
No one is arguing that tithing and giving money to the Church is a bad thing... It's just some people have to give at different levels and percents. I give about 4% which is what I am able...

I work for a small Catholic social services agency as a community organizer... My wages are well under $30,000 a year... I've got a mom and dad in nursing home. I'm also guardian to three children since my sister and her husband passed away...

Believe me when you have three little mouths to feed, clothe, and take care of 10% becomes a big chunk of change...

I give what I can and I devote my time to the Church...
Old Jan 6, '12, 11:39 am

Money is not the only way to give 10%.

You can give of your time, you can prayer for the church, you can pray for the departed.

All of that is part of that 10%
Old Jan 6, '12, 11:42 am
Banned

Religion: Roman Catholic

If the financial aspect is truly a burden, you could donate time as well. Do you have skills like auto mechanics, basic repairs to house fixtures, etc? Volunteer your skills and time to the parish via helping parishioners. Just ask a donation to be made in lieu of payment. Do you live in an area with snow and little old ladies and men who would have a hard time shoveling it? Same. Can you cut grass and edge a lawn? Do yard work for the parish or for parishioners and if for the parishioners, ask for a donation be made in lieu of payment.

The thing I think we have to be careful of is saying "oh, I can't afford that" as you search through netflix and play a movie on your xbox and flat screen tv, order delivery for the 3rd night that week, or any other slew of American/Western luxury "needs".

There's a lot we could "afford" if we just had the guts to make some sacrifice.

And I stand very much in the impact zone of my own statements.
Old Jan 6, '12, 11:45 am
Veteran Member

Religion: Roman Catholic- Old Rite & Daughter of Dominic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbhorton View Post
If the financial aspect is truly a burden, you could donate time as well. Do you have skills like auto mechanics, basic repairs to house fixtures, etc? Volunteer your skills and time to the parish via helping parishioners. Just ask a donation to be made in lieu of payment. Do you live in an area with snow and little old ladies and men? same. Can you cut grass and edge a lawn? Do yard work for the parish or for parishioners and if for the parishioners, ask for a donation be made in lieu of payment.

The thing I think we have to be careful of is saying "oh, I can't afford that" as you search through netflix and play a movie on your xbox and flat screen tv, order delivery for the 3rd night that week, or any other slew of American/Western luxury "needs".

I agree with you.

And that's what I'm praying about.

Many times I order breakfast and lunch at work, when obviously I can make breakfast at home and bring lunch in. I can splurge once a week or so.

I have three TV's, three DVR's which is ridiculous, and mind you, I rarely myself watch TV. I have all sorts of data plans on multiple phones, etc, etc.

For those who cannot give, of course you can give of yourself.

The point is, you give as much as you can, without being foolish, to God - prayerfully.

HOC EST ENIM CORPUS MEUM
Old Jan 6, '12, 11:52 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbhorton View Post

I don't have any of that lol...

You know poor people still exist in this country who don't have those things
Old Jan 6, '12, 12:03 pm
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _isuru_ View Post
I am going to start my career life and determined to give 10% to the church or poor people, is it practicable? and are you doing it?
Gross or net?

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism