Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Jan 9, '12, 12:06 pm

Religion: Eastern Catholic
Default "Many paths to Jesus?"

Hey folks.......
I was watching Oprah interview Joel Osteen, the TV minister, in OWS, her so far mostly-boring network.

Anyway------interesting interview--------Osteen was asked by Oprah (as I knew she would, being a committed New Ager, and also in the interest of her non-Christian audience, to be fair) whether there is "only one path to God or many."
Osteen replied to the effect----
"There is only one path to God----that is through Jesus-----however, there are MANY paths to Jesus."

What do you think of this? I'm sorry, but that does not make sense to me. How can one arrive at Jesus through (let's say) Buddhism or Hinduism?
Maybe Osteen is trying to be too PC, maybe?

Just wanted a second opinion.

Well?
Old Jan 9, '12, 12:41 pm
Banned

Religion: Cradle Catholic - Revert
Default Re: "Many paths to Jesus?"

The parable of the Lost Sheep is directed at this question.

Joel Osteen is roundly criticized by people in protestant denominations for his preaching of the "prosperity gospel".

Perhaps you can comment more as I didn't watch the program, but the commercial seemed to want to catch Joel as he lived the "prosperity" lifestyle as many of the televangelists are known to do.

However, I don't want to draw your question off track. Of course there are various paths in our world in which people find Jesus.

And that's also where the parable of the sown seed fits in. Some is sown near water and good soil, some on rock, some in sand, etc. That situation occurs in families, in churches and within each of us.

It would be wonderfully, if the Church provided the conversion stories of people in the far reaching parts of the world where Christianity is in the minority, as to how they came to Christ and Catholicism by way of Buddhism, Hinduism, Shintoism, etc.
Old Jan 9, '12, 12:47 pm
Banned
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic Mormon

There are as many paths to Jesus as there are people.

Read the book "Salt of the Earth"-it transcribes the conversations between a journalist and Pope Benedict. You'd be amazed at his answers.
Old Jan 9, '12, 1:06 pm
Banned

Religion: Learning about Christianity

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrdinaryMelkite View Post
Hey folks.......
I was watching Oprah interview Joel Osteen, the TV minister, in OWS, her so far mostly-boring network.

Anyway------interesting interview--------Osteen was asked by Oprah (as I knew she would, being a committed New Ager, and also in the interest of her non-Christian audience, to be fair) whether there is "only one path to God or many."
"There is only one path to God----that is through Jesus-----however, there are MANY paths to Jesus."

What do you think of this? I'm sorry, but that does not make sense to me. How can one arrive at Jesus through (let's say) Buddhism or Hinduism?

Well?
Buddhism is more a way of life than it is a religion. There are more and more people who consider themselves Christians who use Buddhist techniques in life. Hinduism is a very inclusive religion in which Jesus can be included in a larger context of encounters with God. I do not, however, think that any of this is what Mr. Osteen was referring to. My sense is that he was making reference to the fact that every person has a life to live, and each life has a story, the culmination of which can be union with Jesus. So, if there are x number of people on the planet, then there are x number of paths that can be taken to Jesus, but my sense is that Mr. Osteen was viewing each of these lives as a potential path to Christianity, or stories that can end at that conclusion. Not that I agree with him, this is what I would bet he means.

Your friend,
Sufjon
Old Jan 9, '12, 3:51 pm
Banned

Religion: ☦ Orthodox Christian ☦

There are 22 paths to Jesus...

Old Jan 9, '12, 3:56 pm
Banned

Religion: Learning about Christianity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstantineTG View Post

I think this can be uploaded as an update to your GPS system for $29.95

Your friend,
Sufjon
Old Jan 9, '12, 4:34 pm

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Hey folks.......

Well?
When I thought confirmation I use to get this question. My answer was yes, the Holy Spirit is present in many church's but the fullness and completeness is in the Catholic Church.
I would put it this way, lets say there is the biggest party of the year and it is on the other side of the city. We live in a major metropolitan area. I can give the the most direct route, you can get there and enjoy the party from start to finish, but there are other routes, they will all get you there, but they are not the fastest route, some have detours and some have dead ends in which you will have to back track and start again.
The Cathoic church is that direct route.

I won't listen to Olsteen. I find that his message is a single note with no real dept. Since his background was in sales before he tiook the ministery over from his father, he is very good with sales. Lake Wood church under his father was very anti-Catholic. That was some years ago, but I do understand that the message changes once the camera is turned off.
Old Jan 9, '12, 4:43 pm
Banned

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstantineTG View Post

thanks for the graphic
Old Jan 9, '12, 4:49 pm

Quote:
Hey folks.......

Well?
I saw him in The View once and he was asked a similar question. His response made me so angry. I felt like he sold out in order to avoid a confrontation. The ladies on The View aren't exactly known for their tolerance for others' beliefs and I suspect he knew that going in. I lost all respect for the man at that point.
Old Jan 9, '12, 5:01 pm
Forum Master
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Hey folks.......

Well?
He is correct. The only way to the Father is by the Son. And are there many ways to get to the Son? Of course there are.

The Holy Spirit can move through anyone he chooses. And lets use the best example possible, St Paul!

Yep, Remember Saul Saul why are you persecuting me. St Paul was persecuting Christ in the Catholic Church.

When Saul asked who are you, Christ say Jesus whom you are persecuting. Look at the Path St Paul was taking! So yes the Holy Spirit can move through anyone and anywhere.

Nothing is impossible for God. By the way, remember Saul (ST Paul) at that time was not a big fan of Jesus.
Old Jan 9, '12, 5:20 pm

Religion: Orthodox/Catholic/Christian

Quote:
Hey folks.......

Well?
First two thoughts:

WHy in the world are you bother to watch Oprah anyway?
2. Why are you concerned about what Joel Olsteen, says in light of the fact that he's part of the church of what's happening now crowd?

The entire question was distorted. There is only one path that leads to salvation and that is through the Church of Christ. It's the interpretation spins that make it sound like there is any path that leads to salvation. The truth is that we do not know with absolute certainty that a non-Catholic can even reach heaven in the end, unless they repent and make a sincere act of contrition. We say that it is possible. I'd rather have a more certain answer than "not certain". That said, I do believe that someone who is a Christian can be saved in the end, if they are Protestant and not belligerently refusing to convert out of pride. I do not believe that non-Christians will be saved, unless they have never heard the truth in all fairness. Americanized folks that do not accept Christ, I'm not sure and really feel sorry for them because they have not accepted the truth in Christ.

I did not say this to be a pain but to express my belief... even as a Catholic that has been crammed full of heresy in my youth and walked away from Catholicism because I began to believe it was the whore of Babylon as told by many fundamentalists. The reason I believed it to be so was by the sick example that so many clergy set during my youth, priest abuse before it was discovered and the many lay Catholics that practiced having sex with everything with a pulse and drinking like a common drunk, drug abuse and simple immoral living, then say I can always go t confession. I believed the lie of Protestants because of the Catholics proving them right. It took leaving to realize the truth that the heresy exists everywhere, thus the reason I returned after learning about history, not made up history.
Old Jan 9, '12, 5:24 pm

Religion: Orthodox/Catholic/Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascalking View Post
There are as many paths to Jesus as there are people.

Read the book "Salt of the Earth"-it transcribes the conversations between a journalist and Pope Benedict. You'd be amazed at his answers.
That's not the bible.
Old Jan 10, '12, 6:23 am

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PbloPicasso View Post
That's not the bible.
Are we supposed to only read the Bible? That sounds very fundamentalist if you ask me.

Lots of paths to Jesus. I was a born again Christian before I converted to the Catholic Church and I knew and loved Jesus. I didn't know him as intimately as I do now, having never received him in the Eucharist, but I knew Him as my Savior. I'm sure the same can be said for non-Catholic Christians all over the world.

From what little I've watched Joel Osteen, he's like cotton candy. I like cotton candy.. it's nice.. but only in very small doses or I start to feel sort of sick, and it's certainly no substitute for steak and potatoes -> The Catholic Church.
Old Jan 10, '12, 8:54 am

"...Interviewer:

How many ways are there to God?

Pope Benedict XVI:

As many ways as there are people. For even within the same faith each man's way is an entirely personal one. In that respect there is ultimately one way, and everyone who is on the way to God is therefore in some sense also on the way to Jesus Christ. But this does not mean that all ways are identical in terms of conciousness and will but on the contrary, the one way is so big that it becomes a personal way for each man...Unity of mankind, unity of religions, unity of Christians - we ought to search for these unities again, so that a more positive epoch may really begin...In all religions there are men of interior purity who through their myths somehow touch the great mystery and find the right way of being human...The Christian can also find the secret working of God behind them. Through the other religions God touches man and brings him onto the path. But it is always the same God, the God of Jesus Christ..."

- Pope Benedict XVI, Salt of the Earth, 1997 (when he was Cardinal Ratzinger Head of Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith)

I think that the Holy Father answered this question best. I doubt that anybody on this forum would be capable of providing a better answer or even one close to his He is so very wise!
"...Everyone who has joined the ranks of Christ must be a glowing point of light in the world, a nucleus of love, a leaven of the whole mass. He will be so in proportion to his degree of spiritual union with God..."

- Blessed Pope John XXIII, Pacem in Terris (1963)
Old Jan 10, '12, 12:40 pm

Religion: Eastern Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sufjon View Post
Buddhism is more a way of life than it is a religion. There are more and more people who consider themselves Christians who use Buddhist techniques in life. Hinduism is a very inclusive religion in which Jesus can be included in a larger context of encounters with God. I do not, however, think that any of this is what Mr. Osteen was referring to. My sense is that he was making reference to the fact that every person has a life to live, and each life has a story, the culmination of which can be union with Jesus. So, if there are x number of people on the planet, then there are x number of paths that can be taken to Jesus, but my sense is that Mr. Osteen was viewing each of these lives as a potential path to Christianity, or stories that can end at that conclusion. Not that I agree with him, this is what I would bet he means.

Your friend,
Sufjon
I've been late to this as always----sorry------computer problems this time----------

Good post, Sufjon-----but Christians using "Buddhist techniques" belies the fact that:

a) They are supposedly already Christian;

and

b) "Buddhist mediation" (which is what I think you are implying----is VERY different than Christian contemplation).

Also,the Buddhist religion is essentially atheistic----how can a NON-BELIEVER (let's say) arrive at Christianity through a NON-CHRISTIAN religion?

Just asking...........

The thing about Hinduism, though, Sufjon, is that Jesus is basically just another one of MANY Gods-----in fact, Millins of Gods in the Hindu pantheon--------just another "Enlightened, Superior Being," to be precise. How can one differentiate enough to determine Jesus is THE "One" when He is just one among many?

What you just mentioned may be one of the number one reasons why Hindus have not converted en masse to Christianity------to you guys, jesus is just another God among Millions of Gods. Not surprising, given that Hinduism is probably the supreme accomodationist religion par excellence in the world-----you guys have absorbed elements of EVERYTHING that has come your way----from Islam to Buddhism to Jainism. Christianity is just another "religion to absorb."

Don't understand that.

Anyway, thatnks for the post. Await your answer if you have any.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions