Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jan 9, '12, 10:01 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Skeptical Catholic
Send a message via AIM to Holly3278 Send a message via MSN to Holly3278 Send a message via Yahoo to Holly3278
Default How do Saint Benedict Medals work?

Hey everyone. How do Saint Benedict medals work? I am speaking of ones that are blessed and exorcised. From what I understand, wearing one or placing them around your house is supposed to help protect you from demons. I don't know if that is true or not though. I know that their power must come from God but can someone please explain how it works?

Also, I wear several saint medals that have been blessed. Does wearing blessed medals have any spiritual benefit?

"If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself." -- Saint Augustine of Hippo

"The holy Rosary is a powerful weapon. Use it with confidence and you'll be amazed at the results."
--St. Josemaria Escriva

“One day, through the Rosary and the Scapular, Our Lady will save the world.”
--Saint Dominic

"Give me an army saying the Rosary and I will conquer the world."
--Blessed Pope Pius IX

Our Lady's 15 Promises to Those Who Pray the Rosary

Come, pray the Rosary

My Live Journal

Holly's Catholic Blog
Old Jan 10, '12, 12:13 am

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: How do Saint Benedict Medals work?

Hi Holly. I don't know exactly how it work. I have a St.Benedict Crucifix around my neck,but I don't know what it is doing. I hope protecting me from bad things. You mention demons. Believing in God mean that we also believe in "bad spirits". Hence,it does not mean that we all the time need to look around and try to see where they lurk. Bad "spirits" are,and this is really my own version of the subject,all evil that we do. So we can make our own choice. As long as our faith is strong we really do not need any other protection then our faith. To wear a Crucifix or a cross,Lutherans usually have only a cross,we Catholics prefer Crucifix's,Jew's may have the star of David around their neck and Orthodox Christians have their own distinct Crucifix,is a way to show our faith. Most important though are our faith,not what we wear. I could not live not wearing my Crucifix. I don't know if it protect me from evil,it may. However,faith is what protect us from demons,a Crucifix or a cross show people what we believe in. And what it really do,at least in my mind,is that having one mean that we must live up to our faith. You can't sin with a Crucifix around your neck. The best protection is a strong faith. So you can take it easy and relax. You are not under attack or anything similar. Trust your faith and nothing bad will happen.
Old Jan 10, '12, 12:22 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic

It seems to me they work 3 ways:

-as any sacramental they become focal points of God's grace
-they express our personal absolute intent to be on God's side in the spiritual warfare realm
-St. Benedict, himself, as a powerful intercessor is frightening for the Devil/demons to behold.

We have them over our doors and windows and they act as kind of a physical manifestation of the "hedge of protection" that God has graced us with. They, as physical creations, are no guarantee of anything; only God can give that promise of absolute deliverence. The medals, like any other gift of assistance God has graced us with show our promise to turn to God for protection; allow the focus for that protection; and physically annoy/deter the evil that would gain entry.

I trust God to take care of me even without them, but I am very glad that He has given them to us for help.
Old Jan 16, '12, 7:24 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Send a message via AIM to Holly3278 Send a message via MSN to Holly3278 Send a message via Yahoo to Holly3278

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiritCarol View Post
It seems to me they work 3 ways:

-as any sacramental they become focal points of God's grace
-they express our personal absolute intent to be on God's side in the spiritual warfare realm
-St. Benedict, himself, as a powerful intercessor is frightening for the Devil/demons to behold.

We have them over our doors and windows and they act as kind of a physical manifestation of the "hedge of protection" that God has graced us with. They, as physical creations, are no guarantee of anything; only God can give that promise of absolute deliverence. The medals, like any other gift of assistance God has graced us with show our promise to turn to God for protection; allow the focus for that protection; and physically annoy/deter the evil that would gain entry.

I trust God to take care of me even without them, but I am very glad that He has given them to us for help.
Thank you Carol. May I please call you Carol? I believe that you are the closest to what the Church teaches. Thank you for explaining this to me.

That said, I have felt like demons have really been attacking me lately. I can't hardly focus on my prayers, my Tourettes Syndrome is acting up like crazy, and I have been very anxious lately. My mood seems to change in mere seconds. I can be very happy one minute and very depressed or angry the next. I know it must have something to do with my mental illness but I am taking my medicine as prescribed and everything and this still happens. I feel as though I am really going crazy. I could really use prayers. I am trying very hard to have trust in God and definitely faith, hope, and love, the cardinal virtues but the tics from my Tourettes Syndrome and everything are still bothering me quite severely. I feel as though I need some sort of spiritual help. Prayers will definitely help but I feel I need something more than simple intercessory prayers, like maybe an exorcism. I often do things that make no sense to others and even to myself. I just hope and pray that it stops very soon.

"If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself." -- Saint Augustine of Hippo

"The holy Rosary is a powerful weapon. Use it with confidence and you'll be amazed at the results."
--St. Josemaria Escriva

--Saint Dominic

--Blessed Pope Pius IX

Come, pray the Rosary

My Live Journal

Holly's Catholic Blog
Old Jan 16, '12, 7:51 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly3278 View Post
Thank you Carol. May I please call you Carol? I believe that you are the closest to what the Church teaches. Thank you for explaining this to me.

That said, I have felt like demons have really been attacking me lately. I can't hardly focus on my prayers, my Tourettes Syndrome is acting up like crazy, and I have been very anxious lately. My mood seems to change in mere seconds. I can be very happy one minute and very depressed or angry the next. I know it must have something to do with my mental illness but I am taking my medicine as prescribed and everything and this still happens. I feel as though I am really going crazy. I could really use prayers. I am trying very hard to have trust in God and definitely faith, hope, and love, the cardinal virtues but the tics from my Tourettes Syndrome and everything are still bothering me quite severely. I feel as though I need some sort of spiritual help. Prayers will definitely help but I feel I need something more than simple intercessory prayers, like maybe an exorcism. I often do things that make no sense to others and even to myself. I just hope and pray that it stops very soon.

Holly, I will be praying for you. Keep trusting in God.
Old Jan 16, '12, 8:07 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfmarm81 View Post
Holly, I will be praying for you. Keep trusting in God.
Thank you Jfmarm. I will definitely keep trusting in God.

--St. Josemaria Escriva

--Saint Dominic

--Blessed Pope Pius IX

Come, pray the Rosary

My Live Journal

Holly's Catholic Blog
Old Jan 16, '12, 8:24 pm

I have a benedictine medal in each of the door of my house. under it are these words

"God arises his enemies are scattered, and those who hate him flee before him. as smoke is driven as wax melts before the fire so the wicked shall perish at the presence of God"
Old Jan 16, '12, 8:30 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by FraLeones View Post
I have a benedictine medal in each of the door of my house. under it are these words

"God arises his enemies are scattered, and those who hate him flee before him. as smoke is driven as wax melts before the fire so the wicked shall perish at the presence of God"
Is that a quote from Saint Benedict?

That said, I do agree with the quote.

--St. Josemaria Escriva

--Saint Dominic

--Blessed Pope Pius IX

Come, pray the Rosary

My Live Journal

Holly's Catholic Blog
Old Jan 16, '12, 8:31 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

Quote:
Hey everyone. How do Saint Benedict medals work?

Also, I wear several saint medals that have been blessed. Does wearing blessed medals have any spiritual benefit?
the medal does not "work" at all, the blessing and the exorcism attached work. A minor exorcism is not a protection against demons, it is a protection against sin and the work of evil demons tempt us to do.

for this and all general questions about sacramentals please look at the relevant section of the Catechism of the Catholic Church as your authority. If I can find it I will link the sections but it is easily found. Sections 1667-1678
Old Jan 16, '12, 8:37 pm

Quote:
Is that a quote from Saint Benedict?

That said, I do agree with the quote.

its a quote from the exorcism prayers of the church.
Old Jan 17, '12, 3:51 am
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzleannie View Post
the medal does not "work" at all, the blessing and the exorcism attached work. A minor exorcism is not a protection against demons, it is a protection against sin and the work of evil demons tempt us to do.

for this and all general questions about sacramentals please look at the relevant section of the Catechism of the Catholic Church as your authority. If I can find it I will link the sections but it is easily found. Sections 1667-1678
Thank you very much PuzzleAnnie. I really appreciate the reference to the Catechism of the Catholic Church. I will look it up now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FraLeones View Post
its a quote from the exorcism prayers of the church.
Thank you FraLeones for answering my question. I appreciate it.

--St. Josemaria Escriva

--Saint Dominic

--Blessed Pope Pius IX

Come, pray the Rosary

My Live Journal

Holly's Catholic Blog

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality