Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jan 13, '12, 3:40 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Epiphany chalk questions

I live in an apartment with 3 others who aren't religious, and have epiphany chalk. I was wondering if it would be OK to only put it over the door of my room, or does it have to be over the door of a house?
Also, the letters I need to write are 20+C+M+B+12 right? Are there any prayers I need to say, or just write it over my door?

Thanks!

Alex B.

Please visit my Catholic blog! http://inklingsofalex.blogspot.com/

If Mary has my heart, then Jesus has my soul
Old Jan 13, '12, 4:58 pm

Default Re: Epiphany chalk questions

Quote:
Take (blessed) chalk (of any colour) and mark on the lintel of your front door 20 + C + M + B + 12 saying:

The three Wise Men,
C Caspar,
M Melchior,
B and Balthasar followed the star of Godís Son who became human
20 two thousand
12 and twelve years ago.
++ May Christ bless our home
++ and remain with us throughout the new year. Amen.

God is love, and those who abide in love abide in God, and God abides in them. Christ, Godís incarnation, is present in the love and care we manifest to each other in our ordinary daily lives together.

Other possible prayers:

or...
May all who come to our home this year rejoice to find Christ living among us; and may we seek and serve, in everyone we meet, that same Jesus who is your incarnate Word, now and forever. Amen.

or...
God of heaven and earth, you revealed your only-begotten One to every nation by the guidance of a star. Bless this house and all who inhabit it. Fill us with the light of Christ, that our concern for others may reflect your love. We ask this through Christ our Saviour. Amen.

or...
Loving God, bless this household. May we be blessed with health, goodness of heart, gentleness, and abiding in your will. We ask this through Christ our Saviour. Amen.
I'm sure it's OK for you to place it above your own door, to bless your coming and going. Change the words to suit your situation.
Old Jan 13, '12, 5:36 pm

Can anyone tell me when the Epiphany Chalk thing got started? I was raised in a Jesuit Parish pre V II, was out of the Church for many years, returned about 10 years ago and have attend an ethnically Polish parish during that time. I never heard of this practice until we got a new pastor a couple of years ago. Who and when?
Old Jan 14, '12, 1:23 pm

It was a custom in many countries in the middle ages. It continued in Poland. It also continued in some parts of the Church of England. I'd never heard of it until we acquired a former Anglican priest who is quite enthusiastic about the practice. It goes down well with those members of our congregation of Eastern European and Nigerian origins. The Irish (including our Parish Priest) and we Italians are totally bemused.
Old Jan 14, '12, 1:23 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

I think over your door is fine. It's your "home," anyway. When it comes to how to use sacramentals (not sacraments), there is some flexibility. The writing with the blessed chalk is an outward prayer to God for grace and protection, and he will see that and give you what you ask in faith. Sounds like a great thing to do, to me - I did mine over the door of my house since I have a house to myself.
Old Jan 15, '12, 9:29 am

It was always popular in a lot of parts of Germany (like where our pope is from). But often it was part of a procession by little boys (sometimes choir members) who would dress up like the Three Kings or angels or stars, and go around caroling and chalking doorways and windows. For this service, they sometimes would receive donations for the poor, or sometimes donations to them (candy, money, or other goodies). But mostly, it enabled kids to play with chalk on people's houses without anybody being able to complain.

I like the blessed chalk, though I wasn't able to get any this year. The first year I used it, we had a windstorm that caused no building damage, and then a fire in the building where nobody got hurt and no serious damage was done. So yay for the saintly Magi!
Old Jan 15, '12, 11:10 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

Quote:
Originally Posted by aball1035 View Post
I live in an apartment with 3 others who aren't religious, and have epiphany chalk. I was wondering if it would be OK to only put it over the door of my room, or does it have to be over the door of a house?
Also, the letters I need to write are 20+C+M+B+12 right? Are there any prayers I need to say, or just write it over my door?

Thanks!
never heard of it but always glad to learn, it is a cultural custom right? not a liturgical action?

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments