Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Evangelization

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jan 19, '12, 5:18 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Leaving the Church

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartolome Casas View Post
She is not your wife, sister, mother or daughter. She is an ex-girlfriend, and so, really, you have no logical relationship with her.

Move on. She is none of your business. Wish her well.

Now, get on with YOUR life. You have a life, don't you? You have a career, right? You want marriage, right? Unless you are an ordained deacon or priest, going out and saving souls all across the world really is not your vocation.

This woman is still in the one Church of Christ. She is still your fellow Christian. She can still get all the graces that any Catholic can, provided that her conscience is clear about where she attends church (and the Catholic Church presumes a good faith conscience on the part of most non-Catholic Christians) . This all stated in the Vatican II document on Ecumenism. See: http://www.vatican.va/archive/hist_c...gratio_en.html

Ecumenism is one of the most neglected and misunderstood doctrines and missions of the Catholic Church today. Yet, the popes since the Vatican II Council have never backed away from it, and have constantly promoted it in word and deed.

According to the Catholic Church, your ex-girlfriend did not leave the Church. She has only left the fullness of the Faith found only in the Catholic Church. But this does not in any way mean that God will deprive her of any graces, unless she really feels that she is doing something wrong in being active in a non-Catholic Christian Church.

Go to any Catholic bishop about this matter, and they will tell you just what I've told you. They support the Church's position on Ecumenism.
Word! Solid advice my dude. Yeah I have definitely moved on...as I said hadnt talked to her in almost a year and she called out of the blue.... just took me by surprise and I wondered if I she was in any kind of spiritual danger or anything.

Much appreciated
Old Jan 19, '12, 6:00 am

Quote:

According to the Catholic Church, your ex-girlfriend did not leave the Church. She has only left the fullness of the Faith found only in the Catholic Church. But this does not in any way mean that God will deprive her of any graces, unless she really feels that she is doing something wrong in being active in a non-Catholic Christian Church.

Go to any Catholic bishop about this matter, and they will tell you just what I've told you. They support the Church's position on Ecumenism.
Yes true Bartolome, however, God does not deprive us of graces, we Christians deprive our selves through our disobedience.
The Church's mission is to promote all efforts toward Christian unity,She prays daily in the Mass for the return of his flock(our separated Christian brethren) to full unity.
When we know the complete truth of Christ's revelation we do not turn away from those of us who descent. We continue to love them, pray for them and trust God to bring them back into full communion with his one body. Peace, Carlan
How often I have longed to gather your children as a hen gathers her brood under her wing.( Matthew 23:37)
Old Feb 14, '12, 10:42 am

Quote:
She is not your wife, sister, mother or daughter. She is an ex-girlfriend, and so, really, you have no logical relationship with her.

Move on. She is none of your business. Wish her well.
Not to be confrontational, but if this were the criteria of Evangelizing, then Our Faith would have ended with Chirst's Ascension, Mary's Assumption and St Joseph's death. By the virtue of our Baptisim we are called to Evangelization and not just to our families but to the world.

OP continue to grow in your faith, pray daily, learn all you can about what you believe in. In your actions and the way you live your life you will show your friend and all those around you how Christ dwells in you, and you in He.
Old Feb 14, '12, 11:12 am
Book Club Member

Religion: ROMAN CATHOLIC

I love to suggest books, and if you're interested, Search and Rescue by Patrick Madrid might be one that can address some of the issues you're wondering about. It's a good book about how to evangelize in a way that is respectful and how to prepare yourself - which helps your own spiritual growth as well.

Definitely emphasize the positives of the friendship - it doesn't have to be a romance to be mutually life-enhancing. We all need friends, and unless it gets contentious or something, it's generally good to share our spiritual journeys with good friends. (If it gets contentious, sometimes a breather is called for.) Wishing you the best.
Old Feb 14, '12, 11:17 am

Religion: trying to obey Christ and His Church

Quote:
This woman is still in the one Church of Christ. She is still your fellow Christian. She can still get all the graces that any Catholic can, provided that her conscience is clear about where she attends church (and the Catholic Church presumes a good faith conscience on the part of most non-Catholic Christians) . This all stated in the Vatican II document on Ecumenism. See: http://www.vatican.va/archive/hist_c...gratio_en.html

Ecumenism is one of the most neglected and misunderstood doctrines and missions of the Catholic Church today. Yet, the popes since the Vatican II Council have never backed away from it, and have constantly promoted it in word and deed.

Thank you Bartolome Casas for reminding our zealous brethren of this grace-filled teaching of Christ. Many would do well to consider what attracts fellow Christians (including many former Roman Catholics) to Protestant/"tongues-speaking" churches.

The Church recognizes the Holy Spirit is active in non-Catholic churches. Much of their worship and preaching can edify even a strong Roman Catholic's faith.
Old Feb 14, '12, 12:46 pm
Banned

Religion: Catholic Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEddie View Post
Tongues is one of the signs in the Acts of the Apostles. There, it involves speaking in languages unknown to oneself, for the purpose of evangelization, or in "spiritual languages" unknown to anybody for the purpose of prayer. It is the hallmark of Charismatic and Pentecostal Christians, IMS.

Indeed. And the Church is charismatic by nature.

Although S. Paul spoke in tongues, he never taught that everybody would, or should seek to do so. A church where all are urged to pray in tongues is probably a good one to stay out of, IMNAAHO.

The Lord said to His apostles: "These signs will follow those who believe. They will speak in tongues.... " And Paul says that even though not all will have this gift, it is a gift in the Christian congregation and its to be used for the good of the individual and/or the fellowship. I think I can then agree with you, that if everyone is demanded to speak in tongues its wrong, but to be in congregations where these gifts for common benefit are not welcomed is just as bad.. so we should take out the plank in our own eye as Catholics, before we seek to take out the splinter in the eye of our Evangelical brothers. They emphazise the gifts of our Lord the Holy Spirit too much at times, while we often dont have enough faith to ask for them...

Interestingly, besides tongues speakers, the NT Church also had tongues interpreters". This "gift" seems to have fallen by the wayside.

Not everywhere... However, even Paul dealt with that when he said, if you speak in tongues, ask also to receive the gift of interpreting it.

I always remember the great Pentecostal preacher David du Plessis. He said to his audiences from traditional churches: "You say that tongues is the least of all gifts.. well then, why don't we start with it?"

ICXC NIKA
Old Feb 15, '12, 7:08 am
Banned

Religion: Catholic Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by may_they_be_one View Post
Where's the love?

Curious if you ever visited a non-Catholic, "spirit-filled" church-- attending with a non-judgmental loving heart? (after all, we're not supposed to judge those outside the Church) You'll find many loving people seeking to obey the Lord through the devotion to His Word (the written version).

Obviously they don't understand (have never been taught) what they're missing in the Eucharist, etc, just like MANY Catholics I grew up with... and they're not ashamed of the name of Jesus, unlike MANY Catholics I grew up with.

It's amazing how interested in and receptive to pondering the fullness of the Faith they are. When you actually worship with them, befriend them, love them, and talk to them about the misconceptions they have about Catholics, they get to experience a new level of discipleship. And we get to help build up the Body, not leave it divided.

Peace, Joy & Love to you.

-------
"Father, may they be one so that the world may know you sent me..." John 17:21
Indeed! You are soo right. This is my experience too.

One of my best friends is a Jesus Freak. the first time I met her she bashed the Catholic church infront of some non-believers. I didn't engage her in battle.. just told her to pond a few verses of Scripture (these sisters and brothers LOVE Scripture).. She went and prayed over those.. such was her humility.

Fast forward a few weeks, and my new fantastic friend - the same person- prays with me, visits my Church with me and even kneels infront of the Tabernacle while praying with me.

Fast forward a few years, my still-friend confides in me that she used to be jealous of my zeal for the Lord back then when we first met. She now reads Theresa of Avila and hears Catholic worship music All it takes is LOVE and RESPECT from both sides. Then we can value their strengths and they can value ours.

This is not my only experience of the sort. I went and had fellowship with Pentecostals many times.. I even pray before the congregation in their church while the Pastor was backing me up. I met a church life there and an open kindness you'd have a hard time finding anywhere.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Evangelization