Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jan 21, '12, 7:32 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Not getting baptised this Easter

The priest has decided that I'm not ready for this Easter's baptism ceremony (i struggled a lot with catholicism coming from a muslim background)

I was very upset because I was so ready for it but his decision is final.

I'm quite heartbroken. Any advice?

Let us all pray for an end to animal cruelty.
Old Jan 21, '12, 7:38 pm
Prayer Warrior

Default Re: Not getting baptised this Easter

Quote:
Originally Posted by walnutleviosa View Post
The priest has decided that I'm not ready for this Easter's baptism ceremony (i struggled a lot with catholicism coming from a muslim background)

I'm sorry to hear this. However, trust your priest, more likely than not he knows what he's talking about. May I ask if there were any specific issues that he was concerned about, or did he generally just think you needed more time? Either way, I'm sure he has good reason for his decision, so I hope you continue to pursue the faith. If becoming a member of the Church is your desire, continue to practice as best you can (praying, attending Mass, etc.) and it will make your eventual Baptism in the future all the more exciting and special!
Old Jan 21, '12, 7:42 pm

He says I needed more time. I almost burst into tears right then and there. I feel unworthy and quite envious of people who can call themselves catholics.

Let us all pray for an end to animal cruelty.
Old Jan 21, '12, 7:45 pm

Religion: Catholic

* I do not understand if you are ready and willing what would be the hold up. I guess it has to do with acceptance of certain articles of the faith. If that is the case we can pray you on your journey, which just coming from Islamic to being a Catechumen is an adventure in itself.

God Bless
Old Jan 21, '12, 7:50 pm
Forum Supporter

Quote:

You state that you "struggled" .. perhaps you appear to be still wrapped in that struggle - which is why your priest believes you are not ready ... you offer no reasons here [and probably should not so do not so so].

That said - there is no minimum time or maximum time or hard criteria about your personal journey of faith ... You are not "Flunking out" or being left behind .. you are continuing on the journey ...

So there is still more then two months until this Easter Vigil .. it is possible that your Priest may reconsider this decision as he watches your understanding of the faith during that time ... Please understand he does not want you to make this decision in haste or without fully comprehending the importance and permanency of receiving the Initiation Rites of the Church ....

What can you do? Pray , deepen your spiritual life, develop and increase your understanding of the Christian faith - especially as that Christianity is lived in the Catholic Tradition, read the history of the early Christians, Pray some more read scripture and pray ... interact with a Lenten Small Faith Sharing Group if your parish offers one .. ask questions and share your feelings ...

Show those walking with you on this journey your love for Jesus and the day will come when all of heaven rejoices that you have said yes to Jesus' call ....

YADA
Respect Christ - Vote Life
Old Jan 21, '12, 7:52 pm

Religion: Silenced.

Quote:
He says I needed more time. I almost burst into tears right then and there. I feel unworthy and quite envious of people who can call themselves catholics.
If there's one thing I've learned from studying Western civ (which includes learning alot about the Church since they're kind of synonymous) is that the Catholic Church moves......very.....sloooooooooooow.

Don't take it personal, it's kind of the "corporate culture".
Old Jan 21, '12, 7:53 pm

Quote:
Oh dear walnutleviosa,

I am sorry to hear that and feel for you. However, just as the previous poster said, trust your Priest. Attending more classes and continuing with RCIA will be most beneficial and deepen your faith and understanding. I don't know how long your Parish has RCIA sessions for, however, in my Parish, the journey with RCIA is anywhere from 1.5 to 2 years.

NEVER, ever feel unworthy! You are a beloved daughter of God precious in His eyes, and use this extra time to learn more about the teachings of Christ and His Church. You will become baptized (and even so, your desire is great, and in your heart you have what we call the "baptism of desire" and you are already part of the Catholic family of God because of that). Call it an "engagement" if you like! Like when a man and woman become engaged, they belong to one another exclusively, but haven't officially sealed the deal yet until the marriage takes place, Well, you will "seal the deal" when you become baptized, but for now, you belong.

I hope that makes sense and brings some comfort to you.

Peace of Christ and God's blessings to you,

Claire
Psalm 91:11--For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways.

John 14:6 - Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
Old Jan 21, '12, 7:54 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
I cannot read his mind, so I can't judge, but you seem to truly want to become a Christian. I am not sure why he thought you weren't ready, but please do not feel that it has to do with how "worthy" you are. You are trying, and we can only act on what God puts in front of us. If you cannot yet be Baptized, you can still continue to follow God to the best of your ability and He will love you all the same.

Also, I recognize that Catholicism can sometimes be hard to take in. I have been Catholic since I was 7, but I was not well-catechized, so I had to learn almost everything on my own. If you ever have any questions or concerns you can feel free to PM me. Again, I hope your priest's decision wont discourage you from pursuing the faith.
Old Jan 21, '12, 8:01 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Praying for you, with a phrase from today's Liturgy of the Hours:

"The Lord Jesus humbled himself, and God exalted him for ever."

Old Jan 21, '12, 8:46 pm
Prayer Warrior

I'm so sorry, I'll pray for you! Maybe it's a blessing in disguise, you never know. God bless you
Old Jan 21, '12, 8:52 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic - Discerning Priestly Vocation

Quote:

Well, what are you waiting for?
Get yourself to adoration! You seem to want Jesus in person. Well, I've found him!

Disclaimer: The views expressed by this user are personal, and do not necessarily reflect the views of any Catholic Diocese, Diocesan institution, or Seminary.
Old Jan 21, '12, 8:56 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Religion: joyfully Catholic

A hug from me.

And prayers
as if each person is the only loved one.
JESUS please welcome each person with love, healing, and great joy!
Thank You JESUS

Mother Mary at the wedding feast of Cana (John 2:1-12)
though JESUS protested it was not yet time for miracles
you successfully interceded with Him for a family's temporal need
please now intercede with your divine Son
for each person's temporal and spiritual needs.
Thank you Mother

JESUS please grant our prayer for this person

Catechism of the Catholic Church http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/_INDEX.HTM
Old Jan 21, '12, 9:45 pm

I'm pretty sure that if you contacted some other Catholic priests, you'll eventually find one to baptize you this Easter, or even sooner.

You could even contact the bishop in your area. If you want Baptism, and can demonstrate a knowledge of the basics of the Catholic Faith, they really cannot and will not withhold it from you.

It's up to you as to whether you will be more assertive in pursing Baptism.

I would not let one Catholic priest determine your life and your future.

All priests and bishops of the Catholic Church are REQUIRED to follow Canon Law. Canon Law even has a whole chapter on the rights of people in the Church, and as a person in the Catachumate program, many of these rights do apply to you.

You could even get a Canon Lawyer to write a letter on your behalf to the bishop.

You don't have to be passive in this matter if you don't want to. You are a human being. You have human dignity. You have rights.

There is NO requirement that anyone even go through the whole catechumate program before getting Baptism. There is not requirement that Baptisms of adults take place only near Easter. Priests can baptize adults any day of the year. Don't be misled. Stand up for yourself if you want to.

Scott Hahn is a famous convert to the Catholic Church. He had to go to THREE priests before one finally agreed to help him convert to the Catholic Church. The first two told him to stay in the Presbyterian Church and work for better ecumenical relations between all Christians. So priests are NOT infallible, and their decisions can be contradicted or overriden by other priests or by bishops or by the pope or other officials in the Vatican.
Old Jan 21, '12, 10:26 pm

Have patience friend. The time will come! And guess what, you can absolutely call yourself Catholic! When others would ask, I called myself a Catholic before I was received into the Church. I tried my best to live a Catholic life just like a fully initiated Catholic would. If someone was to inquire more deeply about my faith, I of course would tell them I was in the process of converting and had not yet been received, but I still called myself a Catholic. Did you know that if you were to die right now, you would be able to have a fully Catholic funeral? The Church already considers you one of Her own, though in imperfect Communion, but do not despair! The wonderful day will come.

Viva il Papa! Long live Pope Francis!
Old Jan 21, '12, 11:33 pm
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Religion: Orthodox w/ Reformed tendencies. Fides quaerens intellectum.
Send a message via Skype™ to Khalid

Quote:

I know the feeling, having been a Muslim myself, and still on the arduous journey to Latin-rite Catholicism (from Islam to Coptic Orthodoxy to Orthodox Orthodoxy to Melkite Catholicism). It's the priest's right to make the call, I believe. [edited] I was envious for the whole journey of those who could call themselves "Christian", but I knew enough to not settle for some sect that would baptize me (or receive me based solely on saying the "sinner's prayer") on the spot [edited].

I still have some envy towards Roman Catholics/Latin-rite Catholics, as I have been stonewalled trying to get a transfer, but I'm learning to take more pride in some of the theology of my Eastern heritage, such as:
  • Christus Victor and Ransom atonement, which are common in the East, and to which I personally hold, instead of Anselmian Satisfaction atonement, which is the standard in the West (but I believe both views are orthodox in all Catholic churches),
  • Especially its Patristic heritage in St Chrysostom (after whom I took my Christian name) and Sts Gregory of Nyssa and Grergory Nazianzus, and the other Eastern Fathers and ecclesiastical writers like Origen,
  • And the beautiful Byzantine Liturgy of St John Chrysostom, which is challenged in pure spiritual beauty only by the Tridentine Mass,
  • And in Byzantine Church architecture (which, I'm proud to say, is far better than anything built after the post-Conciliar style of Roman Churches)
  • And Ikons (which I personally love and find most useful),

Even if I disagree with most of the theology where it diverges from the West (i.e. on Hesychasm, the Essence-Energies distinction, and Palamism in general).

I had a solid training in philosophy and theology, Greek and Latin, and a drive to learn it all (which I'll never be able to do), having read the Bible through and being able to quote the Philokalia and the "non-Catechism Catechisms" (such as the various books by Timothy Ware, Anthony Coniaris and John Zizioulas) to the Orthodox priest, and later the two Summae and the Catechism to the Catholic priest - my knowledge of Christian theology and acceptance and embrace of its culture - might have had something to do with it (I still struggle, and likely always will, with an overly-rational and overly-intellectual faith).

Or the fact that I was supposedly baptized as a baby, as I had a non-practicing secularist Christian parent, even though I've never found any documentation to back this up nor have any family members of any sort that can witness for it - I'm still looking for a conditional baptism, as I have a lingering fear - that I've come to interpret as the Spirit - that I wasn't baptized: or it may be the personality of the priests.

Again, are there specific points you're having trouble with? Theology, dogma, culture? That the priest pointed out as impediments, or a general "I'm not going to baptize you because I don't like you/think you may be a backslider" refusal? I could see - although I know not of this situation - of a priest having a bias against Muslim converts for some reason, or from past experience.

It seems callous for a priest to deny the Baptism of salvation to someone for anything other than the most glaring reasons (e.g. rejection of dogma or the Trinity or hypostatic union, an unwillingness to commit to the faith or learn the Bible and the Catechism, or persistent living in sin, such as multiple Shariah-legal wives) but I'm not one to say, "ask another priest": I don't know the situation as the priest does, so I'd trust his judgment, but, priests, as all other humans, are fallible, and can have their biases and prejudices which aren't always supported by the Code of Canon Law.
Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. - II Timothy 2:15

Above all things Truth beareth away the victory: ... great is Truth, mighty above all things. - III Esdras 3:12,4:41

Last edited by Jean Anthony; Jan 22, '12 at 10:22 am.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments