Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jan 27, '12, 9:22 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Christian! Catholic! Disciple of Jesus of Nazareth!
Default Re: Host in album

Contact the Pastor of the local Parish...

Such needs to be done in proper way..not just dissolving the Host in water....

Even if such was to be done -in is to be done at the Parish and in the proper place... Most likely the Priest will just consume the Host.
Old Jan 27, '12, 9:26 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewEnglandPries View Post
Someone who is aware of a mortal sin should not consume the Eucharist. However, in this case if there is an intention to confess the sin asap I think a reasonable exception can be made.
I would not take that approach....a person who has in fact committed a mortal sin ought not receive...one does not do a sacrilege to avoid undo a sacrilege (not speaking of those who are struggling with scruples...see your regular confessor and follow his direction) ....but I do not know that even a person who is not conscious of mortal sin ought to "self communicate" (though I imagine an immediate threat to the Host is present that might be an exception).... contact the local Priest or perhaps even take it to the Priest.

PS: the Eucharist by nature can not "be a possession" ....cannot "belong" to anyone.
Old Jan 27, '12, 9:35 am

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookcat View Post
I would not take that approach....a person who has in fact committed a mortal sin ought not receive...one does not do a sacrilege to avoid undo a sacrilege (not speaking of those who are struggling with scruples...see your regular confessor and follow his direction) ....but I do not know that even a person who is not conscious of mortal sin ought to "self communicate" (though I imagine an immediate threat to the Host is present that might be an exception).... contact the local Priest or perhaps even take it to the Priest.
To consume the Host in this situation would not be to receive Jesus in Communion, nor to self communicate. The purpose would be to properly dispose of the Sacred Host.
Old Jan 27, '12, 9:37 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by zab View Post
To consume the Host in this situation would not be to receive Jesus in Communion, nor to self communicate.
Sure it would. It cannot be otherwise. The Eucharist is Jesus Christ. I understand what you are seeking to say here...that the point is to protect the Eucharist from sacrilege. But it would still be receiving Jesus in Holy Communion...and I do not see that one ought to do such oneself...outside perhaps what I noted above.
Old Jan 27, '12, 9:43 am

Quote:
Sure it would. It cannot be otherwise. The Eucharist is Jesus Christ.
The Eucharist is Jesus, but the intention of consuming the Host would be to properly dispose of the Host not to receive Jesus in Holy Communion.
Old Jan 27, '12, 9:44 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Consume it when they're not looking...

Old Jan 27, '12, 9:45 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
The Eucharist is Jesus, but the intention would be to properly dispose of the Host not to receive Jesus in Holy Communion.
See above.
Old Jan 27, '12, 9:47 am

Quote:
Sure it would. It cannot be otherwise. The Eucharist is Jesus Christ. I understand what you are seeking to say here...that the point is to protect the Eucharist from sacrilege. But it would still be receiving Jesus in Holy Communion...and I do not see that one ought to do such outside perhaps what I noted above.
You already have had a priest to tell you that it is OK in this situation. Your not understanding it does not make it the wrong thing to do.
Old Jan 27, '12, 9:53 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
You already have had a priest to tell you that it is OK in this situation. Your not understanding it does not make it the wrong thing to do.
Huh? I have not had a priest tell me any such thing....(though perhaps somewhere in life such a conversation may have occurred....I do not recollect such...)

Anyhow ...again I still think that one ought to contact the local pastor etc. As I said I can see the point if there was some immediate threat of sacrilege etc...but if I found say a host in the pew ...or someone showed me a host he had brought back as a "momento"...I would adore Christ and contact the local Parish Priest....(cell phones are great )

In any case--whatever the discipline of the Church would say to do...do.
Old Jan 27, '12, 9:55 am

Quote:
Someone who is aware of a mortal sin should not consume the Eucharist. However, in this case if there is an intention to confess the sin asap I think a reasonable exception can be made.
Quote:
Huh? I have not had a priest tell me any such thing....
Old Jan 27, '12, 9:58 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Oh you mean that someone on this forum who states they are a Priest said it ok? (and it was not directed to me...)

Though I see that I responded to him in disagreement though.
Old Jan 27, '12, 10:36 am

This is a serious matter. In a parish I used to belong to, they were having trouble with mistreatment of the host. They found them used as book-markers in missals in the pews, given to babies, and lying out on the lawn of the church. I even saw a deacon chase down someone who had just received a host from him but did not consume it right away. A few homilies a year would reduce a lot of this.
Old Jan 27, '12, 11:36 am

I urge you to immediately - if you are yourself in a state of grace - consume it (ideally, if the person was not looking). If they get angry, you can explain that this is a monstrous sacrilege, even if they didn't realize it.

I don't mean to set myself up as an "officer" at mass or anything, but I do keep my eye out somewhat, and once or twice I have told the priest about somebody who walked away with the host (another reason to ban communion in the hand, if you ask me - not that these things are completely prevented by communion on the tongue, as the story of at least one Eucharistic miracle makes clear. Speaking of which, you could give them a book on Eucharistic miracles. Perhaps they would start returning to Church).
Old Jan 27, '12, 11:53 am
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic of the Latin Rite

Quote:
Sure it would. It cannot be otherwise. The Eucharist is Jesus Christ. I understand what you are seeking to say here...that the point is to protect the Eucharist from sacrilege. But it would still be receiving Jesus in Holy Communion...and I do not see that one ought to do such oneself...outside perhaps what I noted above.
I'm sorry, but this makes no sense.

1) The person is hardly likely to let a strange priest into their home to take their souvenir

2) There is no honorable place to store the Eucharist in the meantime while you wait for a priest to show up.

3) You probably don't have a cyborium on you to honorably transport the host with you to the parish, so that's out of the picture.

The answer is, as our priest friend has stated, to consume the host. If you are not sure of your state of grace, I would suggest summoning up an act of perfect contrition and handling "business" so that the abused host need not remain in an unworthy position one moment longer than it has to.
Old Jan 27, '12, 11:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by promethius View Post
I'm sorry, but this makes no sense.

1) The person is hardly likely to let a strange priest into their home to take their souvenir

2) There is no honorable place to store the Eucharist in the meantime while you wait for a priest to show up.

3) You probably don't have a cyborium on you to honorably transport the host with you to the parish, so that's out of the picture.

The answer is, as our priest friend has stated, to consume the host. If you are not sure of your state of grace, I would suggest summoning up an act of perfect contrition and handling "business" so that the abused host need not remain in an unworthy position one moment longer than it has to.
Amen, brother! Great answer.

This is really serious, though. Please try to get there and consume that host ASAP.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments