Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jan 27, '12, 10:21 pm

Default Who is the patron saint of heel and knee pain

Hi Everyone,

As the question says, who is the patron saint of heel and knee pain. I have been struggling with heal pain for a couple of years now when I do aerobics. The podiatrist has given me orthodics (which did not come cheap). I started wearing them at work. Then for 1 aerobics workout per week, then 2 workouts per week. At first I though they were really helping. Well, the knee pain is slowly coming back and now I have crazy knee pain. The though of not using them scares me because the knee pain is not as bas as what I remember the heal pain to be.

I have a follow up appointment tomorrow. But it has been my experience with these things, if it does not work the first time, follow up appointments just become a source of frustration and the problem is never solved.

The biggest disappointment is anyone I talked to says their orthodics are the best thing since sliced bread and are so grateful for them. I just wish I had success with them as well

Any suggestions anyone?

CM
Old Jan 27, '12, 10:31 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Who is the patron saint of heel and knee pain

Well, I believe St. Peter is the patron of foot problems. Not sure about the knees, though.
Old Jan 28, '12, 12:17 am
Forum Elder

I think St. Alphonsus Ligouri is a good saint to be a patron of knee pain, since he suffered from terrible arthritis in his lifetime.
Old Jan 28, '12, 5:15 am
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmscms View Post
Hi Everyone,

As the question says, who is the patron saint of heel and knee pain. I have been struggling with heal pain for a couple of years now when I do aerobics. The podiatrist has given me orthodics (which did not come cheap). I started wearing them at work. Then for 1 aerobics workout per week, then 2 workouts per week. At first I though they were really helping. Well, the knee pain is slowly coming back and now I have crazy knee pain. The though of not using them scares me because the knee pain is not as bas as what I remember the heal pain to be.

I have a follow up appointment tomorrow. But it has been my experience with these things, if it does not work the first time, follow up appointments just become a source of frustration and the problem is never solved.

The biggest disappointment is anyone I talked to says their orthodics are the best thing since sliced bread and are so grateful for them. I just wish I had success with them as well

Any suggestions anyone?

CM
Perhaps the orthodics would work on your knee pain if you exercised in a less stressful way than aerobics for a while? Maybe the workouts are just too much on your knees at this time. Maybe something like Pilates, or other stretching workout and weight bearing things for a while.

I bought the Dr. Scholl's orthotics where you stand on the machine and it tells you which kind to get. Best $50 I ever spent. No foot pain like I was having every morning. But here is the thing- I wear them all the time, all day, whenever I have shoes on. Perhaps you should try wearing yours all day, not just at work.
"Lord Jesus, in times of trial and temptation, be my strength and consolation. Teach me not to fear the darkness, but rather draw me to your light. For it can only be in darkness that you will become my light and in your light that I may bring the light of healing to all I meet." - George Maloney
Old Jan 28, '12, 9:23 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishmom2 View Post
Perhaps the orthodics would work on your knee pain if you exercised in a less stressful way than aerobics for a while? Maybe the workouts are just too much on your knees at this time. Maybe something like Pilates, or other stretching workout and weight bearing things for a while.

I bought the Dr. Scholl's orthotics where you stand on the machine and it tells you which kind to get. Best $50 I ever spent. No foot pain like I was having every morning. But here is the thing- I wear them all the time, all day, whenever I have shoes on. Perhaps you should try wearing yours all day, not just at work.
First I want to thank the other posters for suggesting saints

I tried a LOT of 'non prescribed' solutions and spent a LOT more $$$$ than I coudl afford on these things. I even went to a special store and that did not help. I put the orthodics in my boots on the way to work and switch them into my shoes at work. On my way home I do the same. Once I get home, I wear my 'other' pair of aerobics shoes in the appartment (which helps compared to bear feet)

As for the other work outs...... I am VERY picky about work outs, I can't stand pilates and I can only do weight bearing exercises in a class which usually includes cardio. Left to my own devices, I slack off

But I definetly can try to wear the orthodics at night as well. Tomorrow when I work out, I am thinking of not wearing my orthodics, rather some insole I bought in a store as oppose to the one that came with the shoe. I also went on-line and found some foot exercise I want to try

CM
Old Jan 28, '12, 9:41 am

My mom just got herself a pair of custom orthotics from the doctor, and she wears hers all the time. She's only barefoot in the shower and while she sleeps now. She says that since going to wearing them all the time, she's noticed a difference in how her feet are feeling. She even puts hers in her slippers!
Old Jan 28, '12, 7:03 pm

I would recommend going to a physical therapist. Depending on which state you live in, you may need to get a prescription (order) for PT from your doctor (can be from the podiatrist). I am a physical therapist and have treated a lot of patients with knee and heel pain successfully. Orthotics can help, but usually you need to address any postural/range of motion/weakness issues as well. Good luck!
Old Jan 28, '12, 7:08 pm

I'm not sure which saint is the patron of that, but certainly, while you are looking for that saint, that pain can help be a reminder of the pain Jesus felt when the nails were driven through his feet, and the pain He felt when He fell on His knees onto the jagged rocks during the carrying of His Cross.
Old Jan 28, '12, 8:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcubed View Post
I would recommend going to a physical therapist. Depending on which state you live in, you may need to get a prescription (order) for PT from your doctor (can be from the podiatrist). I am a physical therapist and have treated a lot of patients with knee and heel pain successfully. Orthotics can help, but usually you need to address any postural/range of motion/weakness issues as well. Good luck!
I live in Canada. I saw a physiotherapist but he didn't really help. I don't know what a physical therapist is
Old Jan 29, '12, 4:53 pm

Alas! Not all health professionals are created equally! I'd ask in a health food store what name the people there hear repeatedly as being effective in cases like yours. I received great physical rehabilitation in a hospital's physical therapy department and fantastic care from a really great chiropractor for other issues, that resulted in losing the knee pain. I've been reading that fasciitis can be helped by a strap kind of gizmo that points your toes upward, elongating the tissues (or whatever) in the ankle-heel area, but I know of no one who's tried the device. I, too had spent over $300 apiece on orthotics, which, for me (at least, this particular pair) were worthless. When I feel a knee twinge, I start hitting the leg and knee exercises again, on both legs, not just the tender one, to maintain better balance of the two sides of my body. I also FINALLY noticed that the way I was entering and exiting the car was causing part of my back and knee problems. Healing seemed to go much faster after changing that simple little maneuvering.

Due to very low Vit D, I took high Vit D daily, plus minerals, with emphasis on magnesium, multi-vitamins, and other supplements. The books I've read about Vitamin D insufficiency fairly well outlined a lot of problems I'd contended with for decades. I'm convinced that my knee pain was related to my spine, and exacerbated by the way I walked, as a result of the back issues (which I stupidly thought had "gone away").

I have read that many people who have heel pain are also hypothyroid, which is true for me, also. You know how you flip your hand around at the wrist really fast after burning or hurting your hand or fingers? Mimic the same general action at the ankle several times a day, each time doing it until your foot "feels alive," for want of a better explanation of the sensation that follows such shaking. Since extensive and frequent wrist-shaking let me avoid carpal tunnel surgery on my wrists, I tried it on my feet, and, teamed with the nutrients and chiropractic adjustments, my heel pain, which had nagged for over three years, finally went away. Hope some of these suggestions might help you. Hot Epsom salts soaks and massage gave temporary relief. Try Googling, too; can't hurt! Good luck!
Old Jan 31, '12, 9:14 am

I'm not sure how things work in Canada, but in the US usually our physicians and podiatrists can recommend good physical therapists (physiotherapists). I would look for an orthopaedic or sports medicine clinic. Likely exercise, stretching, manual therapy (from the PT) and consistent use of a home exercise program will help your pain issues. It is difficult to make more specific recommendations without fully evaluating and assessing you in person. A good PT will look at your range of motion (flexibility), strength, posture, body mechanics, gait mechanics (how you walk), etc and should not only look at your ankle and knee but your entire body. Good luck!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life