Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jan 28, '12, 11:29 am

Default Is smoking in moderation OK?

I smoke a stick Or two like once a week.. Much like I have a beer on a friday or Saturday especially when I go to a bar with friends... And no I am not peer pressured. i know it doesnt glorify God, but I also need to be a human being once in a while.

Should I confess this ? i just had a confession yesterday too

Last edited by Lilsheep88; Jan 28, '12 at 11:39 am.
Old Jan 28, '12, 12:23 pm
Banned

Default Re: Is smoking in moderation OK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilsheep88 View Post
I smoke a stick Or two like once a week.. Much like I have a beer on a friday or Saturday especially when I go to a bar with friends... And no I am not peer pressured. i know it doesnt glorify God, but I also need to be a human being once in a while.

That seems to be reasonable moderation, although no doubt never is better for your body than twice a week.

Ask the priest next time in confession.
Old Jan 28, '12, 12:54 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Not sure your lungs will agree, but there you go.
Old Jan 28, '12, 12:59 pm

Religion: Latin Rite Catholic

Smoking tabacoo is not inherently sinful. The type of smoking you describe is moderate and wouldn't fall into the area of abusing your body or draining your resources, which can be considered sinful.

Speak to your priest about it if it makes you feel better, but there isn't really anything to confess in the situation you describe.
Old Jan 28, '12, 1:35 pm
Banned

Religion: Roman Catholic Church, Latin Rite

Quote:

Well---
A friend of mine got mad to the doctor who forbade his 98 year old grandfather of occasionally smoking. At that age!!!
Tell you there is no good on dying healthy...
But smoke is bad for the lungs...
You have the data enough to make your mind up.
confession? I do not think so....
Old Jan 28, '12, 1:37 pm
Banned

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
i know it doesnt glorify God, but I also need to be a human being once in a while.
Lots of people don't smoke at all and are human beings......

1 or 2 "sticks" now......1 or 2 packs in the future.....nicotine is addictive. Plus, if you are trying to attract nice female companions, you want to stay away from the stuff that makes you smell bad, turns your teeth yellow, and is just downright disgusting.

Smoking is not sinful, but it is not a smart thing to do either.
Old Jan 28, '12, 1:42 pm

I talked to my priest he said it was a grey area. Its not a sin but neither is it encouraged either.. As long as its in moderation.
Old Jan 28, '12, 1:43 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
I talked to my priest he said it was a grey area. Its not a sin but neither is it encouraged either.. As long as its in moderation.
You can't smoke in moderation. It isn't like other substances such as alcohol which can be enjoyed in moderation without any negative side effects to the body. Smoking is always harmful in any quantity.
Old Jan 28, '12, 3:40 pm
Banned

Religion: ☦ Orthodox Christian ☦

Beer does have some health and nutritional benefits if taken in moderation. Smoking doesn't. Not one bit, not even in the slightest chance. So its never okay to smoke.

In the past there was a time that people thought there was some benefit to smoking. But we've proven that time and again to be false.

Smoking is not even a comparison to eating junk food or drinking alcohol.
Old Jan 28, '12, 3:53 pm

Smoking in true moderation (i.e. not enough to create or indulge an addiction), as repulsive as I personally find it, is not a sin- though I suggest you find less potentially harmful, potentially addictive ways to pass the time. It is a sin if you do it to excess (excess would be doing it to the point that you create a dependency on it), or if your behavior influences others to do it who may not have good enough self control to do it in moderation.

A nation that kills its own children is a nation without a future.- Pope John Paul II.
Old Jan 28, '12, 3:54 pm
Banned

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonAndLime View Post
You can't smoke in moderation. It isn't like other substances such as alcohol which can be enjoyed in moderation without any negative side effects to the body. Smoking is always harmful in any quantity.
According to the state of California, even I may give myself cancer.

The arguments against smoking from a moral standpoint, which uses health as the mortar to stack its bricks and hold them, is easily refuted by almost anything we now ingest.

My great grandmother lived to be 104, died from a broken hip. If it wasn't fried, or inundated with sugar or salt, she didn't eat it. Very Southern in her cooking. She also dipped snuff. 104, and dead from a broken hip.

A lot of what's harmful in cigarettes is chemical and added, kinda like food.

It's no different than any of our favorite foods which make us fat, up our blood sugar, etc.
Old Jan 28, '12, 3:55 pm

From a sin point of view, I don't think smoking is a mortal sin, but it might be venial, since smoking isn't good for you in any way. Yes, it might have some temporary pleasurable aspects, but like fornication, the after effects are typically the ones to worry about. Obviously the degree and the gravity are different, but since even one cigarette might introduce to your body that chemical that makes the difference between being healthy and having lung cancer and cigarettes are not in any way essential to living but are entirely discretionary in beginning to use them, I couldn't possibly say that there is any such thing as 'moderation' in smoking cigarettes.

As far as peer pressure goes, I don't believe you. You - like many other 'social smokers' - are doing so in a situation where it's being used as a social 'prop'. You learned to do that from either your peers or from other areas of society to the extent where it you believe it's a 'cool' or 'acceptable' or 'good' thing to do. Sorry if that seems a bit harsh, but unless someone can enlighten me otherwise, are there really many other reasons why someone picks up a cigarette and tries it and then continues to do so afterwards? I suppose you might be doing it in an aggressive "I'll show the darned world" way, but it doesn't sound that way from your description (and it would be a self-destructive impulse if it was).

So no, from what I can deduce about your motivations, you're not sinning mortally because you're not deliberately smoking to harm yourself. Equally though, you're not doing yourself any good and I think you're intelligent enough to realise that, which does make it a venial sin, because you should - and do - know better.

The good thing of course is that you're clearly not hooked, since you're not smoking outside these situations, so stopping it shouldn't be a big problem.
May he show his face to you and have mercy on you.
May he turn his countenance towards you
and give you peace.

God bless Pope Francis!
Old Jan 28, '12, 3:57 pm

Quote:

It takes about 5 years for your cardiovascular risk to normalise after your last cigarette. While you may be at lower risk of emphysema and chronic bronchitis, your stroke/heart attack and possibly cancer risks are just as high as smoking more. Cigarettes are a well known carcinogen. You're also poisoning the people around you.
Old Jan 28, '12, 3:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenofovir View Post
You're also poisoning the people around you.
This too.
May he show his face to you and have mercy on you.
May he turn his countenance towards you
and give you peace.

God bless Pope Francis!
Old Jan 28, '12, 4:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbhorton View Post
According to the state of California, even I may give myself cancer.
It's not a joke. Sanatoriums for tuberculosis in the 19th and early 20th centuries worked by the process of exposing people to more fresh air. People in cities spent time in confined spaces where you would inhale your own TB bacteria and re-infect yourself. Same with cigarette smoke. You re-inhale what you exhale. This is especially bad if you smoke or cough inside your car.

You can give yourself cancer. Look up Barrett's Esophagus.

Quote:
The arguments against smoking from a moral standpoint, which uses health as the mortar to stack its bricks and hold them, is easily refuted by almost anything we now ingest.
How?

Quote:
My great grandmother lived to be 104, died from a broken hip. If it wasn't fried, or inundated with sugar or salt, she didn't eat it. Very Southern in her cooking. She also dipped snuff. 104, and dead from a broken hip.
She had a combination of non-sedentary lifestyle (probably) and excellent genetic make up. True some people are more resistant to the injuries caused by smoking.

How do you account for the fact that certain types of lung cancers only occur in smokers? That more smokers die of lung cancer than not. That smokers in general lead shorter lives and bring more suffering to their loved ones?
How do you account for the fact that people suffering heart attacks are more likely to be smokers? We also know the mechanisms of both. How do you account for the fact that smokers have reduced lung functions than non-smokers?

Quote:
A lot of what's harmful in cigarettes is chemical and added, kinda like food.
But food is natural. Smoking is not. You need food for nourishment. Smoking does not nourish you except relieve stress or fuel your addiction. You can do those things through other ways - prayer, meditation, psychotherapy, anti-depressants, going on a holiday, etc.

Quote:
It's no different than any of our favorite foods which make us fat, up our blood sugar, etc.
When taken in moderation all these greasy foods are OK. You can exercise your way out of their harmful effects too. Smoking however, even one cigarette a week, is harmful.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology