Catholic FAQ


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #61  
Old Feb 7, '12, 11:19 am
Smugleaf's Avatar
Smugleaf Smugleaf is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: February 4, 2011
Posts: 180
Default Re: I love my asexual wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by tafan View Post
At a minimum, there is one thing certainly wrong with her: she has a poorly formed conscience. Unreasonable refusal of the marriage debt is grave matter.
It is not unreasonable if there is no desire. Forcing herself is going to make her upset, which isn't going to make her husband feel any better.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old Feb 7, '12, 1:06 pm
larsenl1's Avatar
larsenl1 larsenl1 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: February 24, 2008
Posts: 451
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: I love my asexual wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by dismantled View Post
And that belief is one of the major reasons why I left the Catholic Church...

OP, I don't mean to hijack your thread by sharing my story, but I came here looking for some advice and stumbled upon your post. And perhaps sharing my story, which is a different point of view, will shed a little light for some who have commented here.
Welcome to the forum! Your story is heart wrenching. Your marriage is suffering. Have you talked to a counselor? Have you questioned if your marriage is solid? IMO, your husband is abusive and needs to work on self-discipline and the self-sacrifice part of marriage.

You are in my prayers.
__________________
You do not have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body.
- C.S. Lewis


Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old Feb 7, '12, 3:35 pm
tafan tafan is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: January 15, 2010
Posts: 2,620
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: I love my asexual wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by dismantled View Post
And that belief is one of the major reasons why I left the Catholic Church...

OP, I don't mean to hijack your thread by sharing my story, but I came here looking for some advice and stumbled upon your post. And perhaps sharing my story, which is a different point of view, will shed a little light for some who have commented here.

My husband and I were married before we became Catholic. We had a very active and happy sexual relationship before marriage in which we used NFP to prevent pregnancy. It worked well for us for many years. We got married and shortly after joined the Catholic church and continued using NFP as we were not ready to be parents financially and because of depression and some other mental issues, I wasn't ready emotionally. We continued to have a healthy sexual relationship until stress and weight gain caused my cycles became irregular and I started to fear that a pregnancy would happen and limited our "safe times" to only a week or so every month. Apparently that wasn't enough for my husband as he began pressuring me to have sex during times I didn't think was safe and wasn't comfortable with. The pressure escalated from begging and trying to convince me that it was OK, that it was my duty as his wife, that we're supposed and should be open to having children, all the while trying to physically get me in the mood, to being forcible. I had to give-in in order to avoid being physically forced into having sex. We conceived our first child the first time I gave in. I was not ready to be a mother. Emotionally I knew that I wouldn't be able to do it and I was right. I resented him because he forced himself and motherhood on me when I wasn't ready. After the birth of our first child this continued. His desperation would get to the point that he would keep me up all night, kissing and rubbing me and poking me, trying to get me to give in, and after a couple of days of that it would escalate. I would be so exhausted from lack of sleep and physically exhausted from fighting him off of me for hours, begging him not to, that I couldn't risk becoming pregnant again. For 2 and a half years I was able to avoid getting pregnant, but he forced himself on me so many times that I knew it was inevitable. I got pregnant with our 2nd child. 15 months later I became pregnant with our 3rd child. After his birth and when I left the Church, I think it finally sunk in for my husband how it has effected me and how much I resent him and the Catholic church for making it seem like the had the right to do that to me. I forgave him for a while, but there is only so many times a person can forgive for the same action.

.....
You did not read the post I referenced. Nothing gives a spouse the right to force/coerce sex on the other; not even the unreasonable denial of sex. The church has always been clear that sex is both unitive and procreative, ie it is a matter of love.

Here is the entire section that I referenced:

Quote:
g) Unreasonable refusal of marital intercourse is a grave matter. As has been explained, each spouseís right to intercourse has limits, and usually when either is reluctant to have intercourse, the other should not insist. Still, sometimes a spouse has no justifying reason for being unwilling to cooperate. Such unwillingness can be motivated by anger and hatred, an unreasonable desire to avoid offspring, the manipulative use of marital intercourse to compel compliance in other matters, excessive preoccupation with other activities, and so on. Sometimes, too, one spouse without good reason travels alone or stays away from home for some time, thus depriving the other of the opportunity for marital intimacy. In all such cases, when the spouse deprived of marital intimacy makes it clear, by saying so or in any other way, that he or she desires it, the other should cooperate lovingly, and refusal is a grave matter.

The wrong of unreasonable reluctance to engage in marital intimacy admits of parvity but, like other injustices, only in cases in which, typically, the one who suffers the wrong considers it insignificant: for example, because intimacy is not denied for long and the unreasonable motive is not ill will but only some understandable weakness.

Of course, sometimes the spouses disagree about whether a refusal of marital intercourse is reasonable. Then both should try to find a harmonious solution, but if that is impossible, the spouse deprived of desired intimacy must remain faithful. Moreover, such a spouse should be tolerant, for even when a denial of intimacy is plainly unjustified, physical force, psychological coercion, nagging, and resentment are both incompatible with marital love and ineffective for obtaining the loving cooperation required for true marital communion.
Please note the bolded part. So you should not be blaming the Catholic Church for your very unfortunate situation. You husband was wrong, not the Church.

Having said that, it should also be noted that wishing to not get pregnant is not a reasonable cause for refusal. The practice of NFP or abstaining from sex for the purposes of avoiding a pregnancy must be a joint decision between the spouses.

Question 1F) on the page is also worth reading and very pertinent, but will let you go see that.

http://www.twotlj.org/G-2-9-E.html
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old Feb 7, '12, 3:43 pm
tafan tafan is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: January 15, 2010
Posts: 2,620
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: I love my asexual wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smugleaf View Post
It is not unreasonable if there is no desire. Forcing herself is going to make her upset, which isn't going to make her husband feel any better.
I would disagree. Infifelity, illness, fatigue would make requests for sex unreasonable by the other spouse. Simple lack of desire, barring any medical cause (ie illness) does not seem to suffice in refusing to love one's spouse.

When you get married, you give yourself totally to your partnet, willingly in love. From the page referenced in my previous post

Quote:
St. Paul teaches that spouses have an obligation to engage in marital intercourse:

The husband should give to his wife her conjugal rights, and likewise the wife to her husband. For the wife does not have authority over her own body, but the husband does; likewise the husband does not have authority over his own body, but the wife does. Do not deprive one another except perhaps by agreement for a set time, to devote yourselves to prayer, and then come together again, so that Satan may not tempt you because of your lack of self-control. (1 Cor 7.3Ė5)
Paulís formulation makes it clear that the obligation is mutual; in this matter, husband and wife are entirely equal. The reason is that in marrying, the two become one so truly that neither may regard his or her body as exclusively his or her own.
Just imagine that a wife wants her husband to get a job, in order to support the family. But he has no desire to do so, so he just says no.

Why does lack of desire imply "forcing herself"? Why does it not just mean, "I don't feel like it, but I want to love you anyway".
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old Feb 8, '12, 1:14 am
Pfaffenhoffen Pfaffenhoffen is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: August 4, 2011
Posts: 4,043
Religion: Roman Catholic Church, Latin Rite
Default Re: I love my asexual wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by dismantled View Post
And that belief is one of the major reasons why I left the Catholic Church...

OP, I don't mean to hijack your thread by sharing my story, but I came here looking for some advice and stumbled upon your post. And perhaps sharing my story, which is a different point of view, will shed a little light for some who have commented here.

My husband and I were married before we became Catholic. We had a very active and happy sexual relationship before marriage in which we used NFP to prevent pregnancy. It worked well for us for many years. We got married and shortly after joined the Catholic church and continued using NFP as we were not ready to be parents financially and because of depression and some other mental issues, I wasn't ready emotionally. We continued to have a healthy sexual relationship until stress and weight gain caused my cycles became irregular and I started to fear that a pregnancy would happen and limited our "safe times" to only a week or so every month. Apparently that wasn't enough for my husband as he began pressuring me to have sex during times I didn't think was safe and wasn't comfortable with. The pressure escalated from begging and trying to convince me that it was OK, that it was my duty as his wife, that we're supposed and should be open to having children, all the while trying to physically get me in the mood, to being forcible. I had to give-in in order to avoid being physically forced into having sex. We conceived our first child the first time I gave in. I was not ready to be a mother. Emotionally I knew that I wouldn't be able to do it and I was right. I resented him because he forced himself and motherhood on me when I wasn't ready. After the birth of our first child this continued. His desperation would get to the point that he would keep me up all night, kissing and rubbing me and poking me, trying to get me to give in, and after a couple of days of that it would escalate. I would be so exhausted from lack of sleep and physically exhausted from fighting him off of me for hours, begging him not to, that I couldn't risk becoming pregnant again. For 2 and a half years I was able to avoid getting pregnant, but he forced himself on me so many times that I knew it was inevitable. I got pregnant with our 2nd child. 15 months later I became pregnant with our 3rd child. After his birth and when I left the Church, I think it finally sunk in for my husband how it has effected me and how much I resent him and the Catholic church for making it seem like the had the right to do that to me. I forgave him for a while, but there is only so many times a person can forgive for the same action.

My husband is a devout Catholic, he knows what he has done is wrong and has confessed it many, MANY times and believes this is his cross to bear, but I know in the back of his mind he still feels like he owed something from me because I am his wife. I have been celibate for over a year now. He has taken his own matters into his own hands (pun intended) and confesses them regularly. I do sympathize for him. But I don't feel sorry for him. Perhaps if he had respected me and my sanctity we would be in a completely different situation.

Kudos to you MadMax for respecting and loving your wife enough to make this sacrifice!


Terrible for you.
I am not commenting anything for it would not be fair.
I just pray for you.
If this may motivate you, remember that only God can write straight through crooked lines.
God Bless You.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old Feb 8, '12, 4:00 am
Nick90 Nick90 is offline
Trial Membership
 
Join Date: February 8, 2012
Posts: 11
Religion: Unitarian Universalist
Default Re: I love my asexual wife

You're a very strong person, I commend you for that. I'm sorry that you're going through this, it must be very hard and difficult for you, but God will help and guide you through it. I also identify as asexual and celibate. I'll be praying for you. Peace
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old Feb 8, '12, 4:05 am
Nick90 Nick90 is offline
Trial Membership
 
Join Date: February 8, 2012
Posts: 11
Religion: Unitarian Universalist
Default Re: I love my asexual wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by tafan View Post
I would disagree. Infifelity, illness, fatigue would make requests for sex unreasonable by the other spouse. Simple lack of desire, barring any medical cause (ie illness) does not seem to suffice in refusing to love one's spouse.

When you get married, you give yourself totally to your partnet, willingly in love. From the page referenced in my previous post



Just imagine that a wife wants her husband to get a job, in order to support the family. But he has no desire to do so, so he just says no.

Why does lack of desire imply "forcing herself"? Why does it not just mean, "I don't feel like it, but I want to love you anyway".
Getting a job to support the family is different from expecting your wife to giver her body to you without her full consent, whenever it's forced or not.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old Feb 8, '12, 4:10 am
Nick90 Nick90 is offline
Trial Membership
 
Join Date: February 8, 2012
Posts: 11
Religion: Unitarian Universalist
Default Re: I love my asexual wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfaffenhoffen View Post
I am not going to discredit you. You know better.
Simply I do not give up.
Yesterday, I was seeing a program in TV and some experts. One them said: "As much as you use sex, as much you want sex, and the reverse if true".
You learn to live without sex, as if this were normal in a couple.
You do not feel like eating donuts? Just eat it! You do not need to feel.
If eating is to make you survive and you do not feel like eating, just eat to survive, do not eat because you like it.
To like is misleading. Some people overeat BECAUSE THEY LOVE IT. And they are overweight.
Some people just cannot stand to eat vegetables and they are necessary to your health.
Some people just have a short variety of food BECAUSE THEY DO NOT LIKE BUT DONUTS. That is bad.
If you do not like cauliflower, just eat it, eat it, eat it. Sometimes you are going to like it. It is a question of tradition and using it often.
Chinese eat dogs, Hindus do not eat beef, Jewish and Muslims feel it is dirty to eat pork, some people eat rabbit others not, many Africans eat ants (delicious, I tried!) or flies.
Sex is the same thing. Just do it. Just dot it. Just do it.
In a short time, you will feel the need for it. It is a question of habit and use, like a muscle which is not trained.
I'm not sure if it's the language barrier or what, but what you're saying makes me feel very uncomfortable.
If someone persuaded you to try drugs, even though you didn't want to and the thought of it made you scared, uncomfortable, or even ill, would you do it anyway? Probably not. That's why there's a thing called "compromise". A relationship cannot work without compromise and if your idea of compromise is to force your wife into something she doesn't want to do, I honestly feel very sad for you.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old Feb 8, '12, 8:01 am
tafan tafan is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: January 15, 2010
Posts: 2,620
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: I love my asexual wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick90 View Post
Getting a job to support the family is different from expecting your wife to giver her body to you without her full consent, whenever it's forced or not.
Again, no spouse has thee right in any circumstance or through any means to force himself/herself on the other. Even in the face if a clearly unreasonable refusal, a spouse has no recourse.

However, please keep in mind that each spouse gave themselves, including their body, to each other at the time of marriage with full consent.
Can a spoise unreasonably quit honoring the other, just because they don't feel like it? Can a spouse quit being faithful to the other just because they don't feel like it?
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old Feb 8, '12, 10:56 pm
Pfaffenhoffen Pfaffenhoffen is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: August 4, 2011
Posts: 4,043
Religion: Roman Catholic Church, Latin Rite
Default Re: I love my asexual wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick90 View Post
I'm not sure if it's the language barrier or what, but what you're saying makes me feel very uncomfortable.
If someone persuaded you to try drugs, even though you didn't want to and the thought of it made you scared, uncomfortable, or even ill, would you do it anyway? Probably not. That's why there's a thing called "compromise". A relationship cannot work without compromise and if your idea of compromise is to force your wife into something she doesn't want to do, I honestly feel very sad for you.


When one exaggerates the other person position, the meaning is lost.
I was talking about sex, which is good, You are talking about drugs, which are bad. You have got to teach children and teens to say NO. But I was talking about good things. You did not see there any example of a bad thing.

Quote:
A relationship cannot work without compromise and if your idea of compromise is to force your wife into something she doesn't want to do, I honestly feel very sad for you.
Do not be sad. We are not sad.
Take, I want to go to New York, my wife want to go to LA, so we compromise and go to Las Vegas?
I want to spend holidays in the beach, one full week in the beach, not less, my wife wants to go to the mountains, one full week not less, so we go to the planes?
You are confusing words. Look: I am not forcing my wife to do something that she does not want. She is not forcing me to do something that I do not want (that you did not talk: you do not pity me !!!). Se wants to do something she does not like to be with me. I want to do something I do not like to be with her.
To want and to like are different things. Unfortunately our society mixes them up. The ideal of our Society is hedonistic: everybody must want always what he/she likes.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old Feb 8, '12, 10:58 pm
Pfaffenhoffen Pfaffenhoffen is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: August 4, 2011
Posts: 4,043
Religion: Roman Catholic Church, Latin Rite
Default Re: I love my asexual wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smugleaf View Post
It is not unreasonable if there is no desire. Forcing herself is going to make her upset, which isn't going to make her husband feel any better.
The theory of marriage debt should be abolished. It has been already.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old Feb 9, '12, 6:43 am
StJudePray4Me's Avatar
StJudePray4Me StJudePray4Me is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: July 14, 2009
Posts: 949
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: I love my asexual wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by KostyaJMJ View Post
Suppose you woke up one morning and told your wife you were too tired for work and had a headache. All things being equal, and supposing you usually do go to work and support your family, your wife would probably be ok with you staying at home one day. What if you didnít feel like it the next morning? What if you stayed home for weeks and then months? How long would it be before she changed the locks on you?

In my mind it is about time to tell her to put out or get out. Do what it takes to get over your problem and do it quickly. I donít see how you put up with it. I wouldnít tolerate that kind of treatment from my wife, nor would she tolerate it from me.

Wow. Just.....wow. This is so lacking in compassion and love, I can't even wrap my head around it.


To the OP: I am sorry for your troubles. I hope you and your wife get together soon to discuss this in detail. I wonder if your telling her you are willing to forgo sex altogether will give her the courage to talk to you openly about how she feels.

I think an important topic in your discussion would be whether or not she WANTS to want sex.
__________________
__________________
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old Feb 9, '12, 7:42 am
tafan tafan is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: January 15, 2010
Posts: 2,620
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: I love my asexual wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfaffenhoffen View Post
The theory of marriage debt should be abolished. It has been already.
Two points:
1) it is not a theory, it is a teaching of the Church.
2) If you make the claim this teaching has been abolished, you should provide evidence. Ample evidence has been presented to the contrary on this and other threads of this forum
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old Feb 9, '12, 11:40 am
MadMax73 MadMax73 is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: December 20, 2011
Posts: 14
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: I love my asexual wife

Thank you to all who have sent prayers my way. Despite times of sorrow I am doing well in my suffering.

For the many who have mentioned that their is a sin in withholding the marriage debt from your spouse. This is another reason I choose celibacy. If I don't ask it is not a sin on her part.

There is a great deal of this that is my problem as well. I don't want someone to have sex with who has no interest in it done as a favor to me. I am not an animal, there is no biological necessity for me to have sex. If I were to "instruct the ignorant" and she made love to me out of obligation that would not make the situation that I first described better.

More thoughts later.

Peace
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old Feb 10, '12, 12:12 am
Pfaffenhoffen Pfaffenhoffen is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: August 4, 2011
Posts: 4,043
Religion: Roman Catholic Church, Latin Rite
Default Re: I love my asexual wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by tafan View Post
Two points:
1) it is not a theory, it is a teaching of the Church.
2) If you make the claim this teaching has been abolished, you should provide evidence. Ample evidence has been presented to the contrary on this and other threads of this forum
I am a man and I feel that this is a man-balanced item.
Am I wrong? I think man wishes more that women. So, I want it, come on, dear wife, if you say no you are committing a sin. And the poor wife, there she goes, not to go to well, to do the job... That is what I feel.
The question is not that my body belongs to my wife and my wife's body belongs to me. It is the was it is said: "debt"? Is this a way of saying things? I know that this is a translation from latin and that the word has got 1000 years but I feel the wording is unfortunate.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life

Bookmarks

Tags
abstinence, asexual, celibate, marriage, wife

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8240Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: GLam8833
4997CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: James_OPL
4342Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: James_OPL
4029OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: B79
3830SOLITUDE
Last by: beth40n2
3550Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: RJB
3217Poems and Reflections
Last by: tonyg
3203Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: memphian
3100Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: Amiciel
3043For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: Thomas Choe



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 2:21 am.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2013, Catholic Answers.