Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Social Justice

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 6, '12, 9:37 am

Religion: Lutheran LCMS
Default Non Catholics stand with your Catholic Brothers.

I am not Catholic. I am Lutheran MS. I do not have any moral issue with barrier birth control, though I do major issues with anything that harms an already conceived child. Despite the fact that I do not completely share the Catholic Church's beliefs, I do believe that they have a right to those beliefs, and that right is and should be protected by the 1st Ammendment.

That being said the recent HHS ruling is WRONG, on every level, and it is a direct and clear violation to the US constitution.

I am so glad that the Catholic Clergy and leadership of America are not taking this assault to their Religion lightly. Thank you for standing up, and know that many of your non Catholic brothers and sisters are standing with you. I have already spoken and written to my elected officals and I will continue to do so until this mandate is removed.

I call on everyone who regularly visits this page and is not Catholic to stand with their Catholic brothers and sisters and fight this assault on our freedom.
Old Feb 6, '12, 9:39 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: 100% Catholic Christian (Latin Rite)
Default Re: Non Catholics stand with your Catholic Brothers.

Thank you for your support. God's blessings.
Old Feb 6, '12, 9:42 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic

Thanks, brother. God bless you!
Old Feb 6, '12, 9:46 am
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic Christian Latin Rite
Send a message via AIM to qui est ce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix1912 View Post
I am not Catholic. I am Lutheran MS. I do not have any moral issue with barrier birth control, though I do major issues with anything that harms an already conceived child. Despite the fact that I do not completely share the Catholic Church's beliefs, I do believe that they have a right to those beliefs, and that right is and should be protected by the 1st Ammendment.

That being said the recent HHS ruling is WRONG, on every level, and it is a direct and clear violation to the US constitution.

I am so glad that the Catholic Clergy and leadership of America are not taking this assault to their Religion lightly. Thank you for standing up, and know that many of your non Catholic brothers and sisters are standing with you. I have already spoken and written to my elected officals and I will continue to do so until this mandate is removed.

I call on everyone who regularly visits this page and is not Catholic to stand with their Catholic brothers and sisters and fight this assault on our freedom.
Thanks for posting this. The Catholic Church is a big and unified organization that stands in the way of Obama's agenda. Obama wants to break us, but he will not succeed. The gates of Hell will not prevail.

I'm sure the Church represents many non-Catholic denominations that don't have a loud enough voice to be heard on this matter.
Old Feb 6, '12, 9:50 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by qui est ce View Post
Thanks for posting this. The Catholic Church is a big and unified organization that stands in the way of Obama's agenda. Obama wants to break us, but he will not succeed. The gates of Hell will not prevail.

I'm sure the Church represents many non-Catholic denominations that don't have a loud enough voice to be heard on this matter.
If this administration knocks down the Catholic Church, no other religious groups (excepting perhaps Muslims) have a hope of an effective voice in this country again.
Old Feb 6, '12, 9:57 am
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
If this administration knocks down the Catholic Church, no other religious groups (excepting perhaps Muslims) have a hope of an effective voice in this country again.
He won't succeed.

Did you have the letter read in your parish this week-end? It was very somberly and shockingly received in our parish. The young people seemed the most shocked. They often don't keep up with the news and are more prolife than the middle aged.

I really liked your post about the Catholic Church standing in the way of Obama's agenda in another thread. Your observation than he placed pro-choice Catholics in his administration in order to muddy Catholic teaching was spot on. You should post that in other threads for everyone to see.
Old Feb 6, '12, 10:02 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by qui est ce View Post
He won't succeed.

Did you have the letter read in your parish this week-end? It was very somberly and shockingly received in our parish. The young people seemed the most shocked. They often don't keep up with the news and are more prolife than the middle aged.

I really liked your post about the Catholic Church standing in the way of Obama's agenda in another thread. Your observation than he placed pro-choice Catholics in his administration in order to muddy Catholic teaching was spot on. You should post that in other threads for everyone to see.
Thank you for your kind words.

My bishop is very much supportive of the letter. I'm in two parishes for historical reasons. In one, it was read. In another, it was not. I'm not sure how the latter pastor got away with not doing it, but he sure didn't read it. He's known as a "lib", so he might simply have defied the bishop.
Old Feb 6, '12, 11:09 am
Banned

Quote:

Bold Lettering Mine.

Thank you for your sentiments -However- I am curious....

Hmmmmmmm....... So if Our Lord is a creator and he gives us the gift of creating, (a new life) then I ask you; as a Lutheran, at what point is a soul formed- made manifest on this earth of ours? Espcially since we read - Jeremiah 1:5 "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations."

I realize I am not addressing Barrier birth control - I am adressing birth control issues. Also as a Lutheran would you be morally opposed to voteing for a rabid abortionist i.e. Obama?
Old Feb 6, '12, 11:59 am
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
Thank you for your kind words.

My bishop is very much supportive of the letter. I'm in two parishes for historical reasons. In one, it was read. In another, it was not. I'm not sure how the latter pastor got away with not doing it, but he sure didn't read it. He's known as a "lib", so he might simply have defied the bishop.
We got the letter.
Old Feb 6, '12, 12:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimzovik View Post
Bold Lettering Mine.

Thank you for your sentiments -However- I am curious....

Hmmmmmmm....... So if Our Lord is a creator and he gives us the gift of creating, (a new life) then I ask you; as a Lutheran, at what point is a soul formed- made manifest on this earth of ours? Espcially since we read - Jeremiah 1:5 "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations."

I realize I am not addressing Barrier birth control - I am adressing birth control issues. Also as a Lutheran would you be morally opposed to voteing for a rabid abortionist i.e. Obama?
1. PLEASE do not attempt to hyjack this thread. This is not about the differences between our faiths but it is about standing together in the face of a blantant attempt to undermine everyone of any religons right to freely practice their faith. The only thing you accomplish buy being contrary is running off all those who believe differently than you, but still want to help you. If you do that, then you will have to fight alone.

2. The crux of this issue is not birth control but religoius freedom. Replace birth control with some other thing.....like Chocolate Bars. Say a religon had an objection to eating Chocolate, is it OK for the Federal government to force organizations affliated with that religon and run by it to provide free chocolate to all their employee's, simply because the government feels it's in people's best interest to eat chocolate at work?

3. I do not know when the soul is formed, I would not even presume to understand that process at all. However, I do believe that the moment an egg and a sperm meet.....a unique human individual is created, and that person deserves a right to life.

4. I would never vote for Obama, and never have. He was a terrible senator and has been an even worse President. Pick just about any issue from abortion to taxes, and I pretty much disagree with him 100%. I look at everything a candidate stands for before making a decision to support them, that includes social and economical issues. I have yet to encouter a candidate that I liked everything about them except their stance on abortion. Most conservatives are conservative in all areas.

Again PLEASE do not hyjack this thread into a debate about different beliefs about Birth Control. THis is about standing up for the right of people to freely practice their religon.
Old Feb 6, '12, 12:49 pm
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Quote:
1. PLEASE do not attempt to hyjack this thread. This is not about the differences between our faiths but it is about standing together in the face of a blantant attempt to undermine everyone of any religons right to freely practice their faith. The only thing you accomplish buy being contrary is running off all those who believe differently than you, but still want to help you. If you do that, then you will have to fight alone.

2. The crux of this issue is not birth control but religoius freedom. Replace birth control with some other thing.....like Chocolate Bars. Say a religon had an objection to eating Chocolate, is it OK for the Federal government to force organizations affliated with that religon and run by it to provide free chocolate to all their employee's, simply because the government feels it's in people's best interest to eat chocolate at work?

3. I do not know when the soul is formed, I would not even presume to understand that process at all. However, I do believe that the moment an egg and a sperm meet.....a unique human individual is created, and that person deserves a right to life.

4. I would never vote for Obama, and never have. He was a terrible senator and has been an even worse President. Pick just about any issue from abortion to taxes, and I pretty much disagree with him 100%. I look at everything a candidate stands for before making a decision to support them, that includes social and economical issues. I have yet to encouter a candidate that I liked everything about them except their stance on abortion. Most conservatives are conservative in all areas.

Again PLEASE do not hyjack this thread into a debate about different beliefs about Birth Control. THis is about standing up for the right of people to freely practice their religon.

Old Feb 6, '12, 1:55 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Evangelical Catholic (Lutheran Church Missouri Synod)

Quote:
Well said!!

However, we do not need to replace the birth control issue with "chocolate bars". We can replace it with the "ministerial exception"in the case of a Lutheran school. This administration is in full attack mode against religious organizations, including the LCMS.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/12/us...pagewanted=all

If we allow our doctrinal differences to get in the way of standing together against anti-religious tyranny, we are in trouble. As was said by Thomas Paine, "If we do not hang together, we shall surely hang separately."

If we stand shoulder to shoulder now, and win these battles, perhaps we can discuss our doctrinal differences later. If we don't, the chances are our freedom of speech will fall alng side our freedom of religion.

Right now, in this country, we really need each other.

Jon
“This also is certain, that no one should rely on his own wisdom in the interpretation of the Scripture, not even in the clear passages, for it is clearly written in 2 Peter 1:20: ‘The Scripture is not a matter of private interpretation.’
"The best reader of the Scripture, according to Hilary, is one who does not bring the understanding of what is said to the Scripture but who carries it away from the Scripture. "
Chemnitz
Old Feb 6, '12, 1:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonNC View Post
Well said!!

However, we do not need to replace the birth control issue with "chocolate bars". We can replace it with the "ministerial exception"in the case of a Lutheran school. This administration is in full attack mode against religious organizations, including the LCMS.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/12/us...pagewanted=all

If we allow our doctrinal differences to get in the way of standing together against anti-religious tyranny, we are in trouble. As was said by Thomas Paine, "If we do not hang together, we shall surely hang separately."

If we stand shoulder to shoulder now, and win these battles, perhaps we can discuss our doctrinal differences later. If we don't, the chances are our freedom of speech will fall alng side our freedom of religion.

Right now, in this country, we really need each other.

Jon
Thank you.

Everyone please....write your congressman and senators. Tell them that this is NOT ok and you are opposed to it.....hold them to protecting the constitution.
Old Feb 6, '12, 2:00 pm
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Thank you.

Everyone please....write your congressman and senators. Tell them that this is NOT ok and you are opposed to it.....hold them to protecting the constitution.
http://www.usccb.org/issues-and-acti...tion/index.cfm
Old Feb 6, '12, 2:25 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Evangelical Catholic (Lutheran Church Missouri Synod)

This is a statement by the LCMS.

http://www.lcms.org/page.aspx?pid=1330

In part, it says,
Quote:
“In addition, I encourage the members of the LCMS to join with me in supporting efforts to preserve our essential right to exercise our religious beliefs. This action by HHS will have the effect of forcing many religious organizations to choose between following the letter of the law and operating within the framework of their religious tenets. We add our voice to the long list of those championing for the continued ability to act according to the dictates of their faith, and provide compassionate care and clear Christian witness to society’s most vulnerable, without being discriminated against by government.
Jon
“This also is certain, that no one should rely on his own wisdom in the interpretation of the Scripture, not even in the clear passages, for it is clearly written in 2 Peter 1:20: ‘The Scripture is not a matter of private interpretation.’
"The best reader of the Scripture, according to Hilary, is one who does not bring the understanding of what is said to the Scripture but who carries it away from the Scripture. "
Chemnitz

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Social Justice