Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 7, '12, 5:14 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Spiritual Director Cost

What are the usual costs for a spiritual director?

I found a retreat house that has spiritual directors and contacted them they requested a donation, which seems ok, but I am wondering what the usual cost for a spiritual director is?

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Old Feb 7, '12, 5:26 pm

Religion: catholic
Default Re: Spiritual Director Cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCrunch73 View Post
What are the usual costs for a spiritual director?

I found a retreat house that has spiritual directors and contacted them they requested a donation, which seems ok, but I am wondering what the usual cost for a spiritual director is?

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Mine won't take a dime from me. But I know some who ask for a donation of between $25-50 a session but if you can't afford it they may do it for free. I sort of feel that I need to give my SD something but he won't have it so I do things for him for free, like teach a class at his parish or he calls on me for liturgical advice at times.
Old Feb 7, '12, 5:39 pm

Religion: Catholic, Obl.OSB

I've heard different amounts from different directors ranging from free to about $75 a session.

In part it depends on whether this is something the person needs for income and whether they have expenses related to direction. (For example, if they have to pay for the space they use it seems only fair for the directee to cover the cost.) Some directors also have the philosophy that people value what they pay for.

I've never heard of someone being turned away because they couldn't pay. Fees can always be adjusted.
Old Feb 7, '12, 7:02 pm

I gave mine a gift card and dinner out.
Old Feb 7, '12, 8:22 pm

Religion: Catholic - Roman rite

Mine is free, but he is also one of the priests at my church. We usually talk somedays after Mass.

...And so I take my sister E_7 NOT for any lustful motive, but I do it in singleness of heart. Be kind enough to have pity on her and on me and bring us to old age together.
Old Feb 7, '12, 11:50 pm
Banned
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Send a message via Yahoo to Anathama Sit

Mine, God bless his soul, has never charged me a dime, and when I have tried to pay him or donate to him he refuses it. He says that if I follow his counsel and strive to do my best to attain a deeper Union with God, then that's payment enough. However I help him out whenever I can and this helps too.

I also have Mass said for him as much as possible and have my friends pray for him as well.
Old Feb 8, '12, 5:25 am

Religion: catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anathama Sit View Post
Mine, God bless his soul, has never charged me a dime, and when I have tried to pay him or donate to him he refuses it. He says that if I follow his counsel and strive to do my best to attain a deeper Union with God, then that's payment enough. However I help him out whenever I can and this helps too.

I also have Mass said for him as much as possible and have my friends pray for him as well.
I think there is a big difference between having a parish priests vs a religious priest or sister or a lay person as a director. A parish priest gets a salary from his parish. If he has the time and inclination to do spiritual direction (I am not speaking of the occasional pastoral counseling session but ongoing serious spiritual direction) and can fit it into his schedule of parish duties, then there is really no need to pay him, even if the person being directed is not one of his parishioners (as is my case). But a religious or lay person may be doing this as a means of additional income or support for their congregation. Paying a religious would be considered a donation to their congregation. If the director is a lay person, however, that is compensation for their time. I do know a number of qualified lay people who are directors and they ask for $25 or whatever a person can give. But I would be wary of someone who hangs out a shingle as a spiritual director and asks for big bucks a session. Get recommendations, recommendations, and more recommendations. A good director should also allow for a few "trial" sessions to see if you are a good match for each other.
Old Feb 8, '12, 9:12 am
Banned
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Just a note in passing, my spiritual director is also my Confessor. He is a religious priest.
Old Feb 8, '12, 12:47 pm

Thank you all for your responses, they were helpful.

I had inquired for spiritual direction from an order that offers spiritual direction through a retreat house. They had a suggested donation but would not turn me away. I think in this case it makes sense to ask for a donation, I was just wondering about the costs. I'm not versed in spiritual direction.
Old Feb 9, '12, 11:22 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Christian! Catholic! Disciple of Jesus of Nazareth!

$0.00
Old Feb 10, '12, 12:50 am

Quote:

I had inquired for spiritual direction from an order that offers spiritual direction through a retreat house. They had a suggested donation but would not turn me away. I think in this case it makes sense to ask for a donation, I was just wondering about the costs. I'm not versed in spiritual direction.
In this case, this is one of the ways they support themselves. They have to make a living somehow, and if spiritual direction is how they do it, I would compensate them for it- but only in a situation such as this. In other cases, I might buy them dinner from time to time, but that would be because I know them well enough at that point that they are also a friend (and I'd do that for any friend).

A nation that kills its own children is a nation without a future.- Pope John Paul II.
Old Feb 10, '12, 3:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anathama Sit View Post
Just a note in passing, my spiritual director is also my Confessor. He is a religious priest.
You are fortunate.
Old Feb 10, '12, 5:54 am
Banned
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnDwellar View Post
You are fortunate.
I count myself as blessed. He's contemplative too.
Old Feb 12, '12, 9:37 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:

What was the suggested donation, if I can ask? I'm going to a Passionist retreat house for assessment for a spiritual director. I have not had my appointment. Passionists are entirely self-supporting and this is a part of their work, so I expect that a donation is expected. If it's $75 it is going to be way out of my means since I'm out of work, not collecting any unemployment since I've been out of work for 2 years.

Thanks.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality