Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > Catholic News

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 8, '12, 4:53 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic
Default Archbishop: Obama Needs To Stop 'Intruding Into Internal Life Of Church'...

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — There was a sharp rebuke Wednesday from Cardinal-designate Timothy Dolan that put even more pressure on the president to calm a widening election year uproar. The issue at hand was the president’s insistence that Catholic institutions provide free birth control to their employees.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/02/...e-of-a-church/
Old Feb 8, '12, 5:03 pm
Veteran Member
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic. Gender: Female
Default Re: Archbishop: Obama Needs To Stop 'Intruding Into Internal Life Of Church'...

Old Feb 8, '12, 6:09 pm
Banned

Religion: Tryin to come home.
Default Re: Archbishop: Obama Needs To Stop 'Intruding Into Internal Life Of Church'...

Is it Pope Obama? He must think so.
Old Feb 8, '12, 6:13 pm

Man, I really need to get new glasses. I first thought the title of this post was "Archbishop Obama!"

I'd like to add that what Obama really needs to do is to retire!

"Lord, spare us from sour-faced saints!"---St. Teresa of Avila
Old Feb 8, '12, 7:42 pm
Forum Elder

from the article:
“The federal government should do what it’s traditionally done since July 4, 1776, namely back out of intruding into the internal life of a church,” Dolan told CBS 2’s Marcia Kramer."
The issue is not whether Catholics may or may not use contraception. Nobody in the Church is following them around to check up on them.

The issue is whether the government can force a Catholic institution, hospital, or charity, to violate its own religious beliefs.

Constitutionally, the answer is clear. It cannot.

That is why this mandate must be fought. If the government can force a Catholic institution to reject its own Catholicism, religious freedom is dead in this nation.
Old Feb 8, '12, 8:36 pm

Religion: Practicing Catholic
Cool The HHS Mandate Has Already Been Law for 10 Years.........

Or so this article says:

http://m.motherjones.com/politics/20...le-already-law

What do you make of this?
Old Feb 8, '12, 10:28 pm
Banned

Religion: A Christianity that doesn't exclude nor drives liberals away
Default Re: The HHS Mandate Has Already Been Law for 10 Years.........

If it's been law and just hasn't been as widely known or enforced, it lends credence to the thought that conservatives as the story's opening sentence says, have "freaked out" over the Obama Administration. But that's more or less been the case since His Presidency began or before it seems to me.
Old Feb 8, '12, 10:54 pm

The liberal spin starts in the first sentence of the article which states "MOST employers are required'. This is a misrepresentation of the facts. IMHO,this is nothing more than liberal spin and drivel. Obama is attacking our constitutional freedoms. You cannot spin that!
Old Feb 9, '12, 2:52 am

I don't see DePaul University on the Cardinal Newman Society's list of faithful Catholic colleges:

http://www.thenewmanguide.com/TheCat...6/Default.aspx

Catholic colleges & other Catholic institutions should not be forced by the government to pay for something that our faith teaches us is gravely immoral. The motherjones article is actually just a new spin on the old argument that because the majority of Catholics use contraception, we don't have a right to conscience protections. This is about religious freedom, not contraception. The left is really having a difficult time responding to this issue with authority because they still haven't grasped what the issue is. It's not about contraception people, it's about freedom of conscience.
Old Feb 9, '12, 3:54 am
Veteran Member
Prayer Warrior

When an article starts with 'The right...' says... you know it is going to be biased.

The way it works right now, if you work for the Catholic Church or Catholic Institutions the federal government does not force birth control to paid for by the Church or Catholic institutions, there was a way for employers that were not willing to offer contraception, abortificants, sterilization in their health care package to not offer it.

But what HHS Mandate wants all health insurance providers to cover contraception, abortificants, and sterilization all free of charge and there is no religious exemption, while currently there is one.
Old Feb 9, '12, 4:47 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Abyssinia View Post
When an article starts with 'The right...' says... you know it is going to be biased.

The way it works right now, if you work for the Catholic Church or Catholic Institutions the federal government does not force birth control to paid for by the Church or Catholic institutions, there was a way for employers that were not willing to offer contraception, abortificants, sterilization in their health care package to not offer it.

But what HHS Mandate wants all health insurance providers to cover contraception, abortificants, and sterilization all free of charge and there is no religious exemption, while currently there is one.
However, this does not seem to be the case. The article states that Depaul University was forced to provide these things following an EEOC complaint.
Old Feb 9, '12, 4:48 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMatt25 View Post
If it's been law and just hasn't been as widely known or enforced, it lends credence to the thought that conservatives as the story's opening sentence says, have "freaked out" over the Obama Administration. But that's more or less been the case since His Presidency began or before it seems to me.
So you are cool with the mandate regardless if it old law or new?
Old Feb 9, '12, 4:53 am

I like the sentiment.

However, how do we answer the opposition when they simplly say that the Church interferes in politics all of the time and now is just getting upset when the tables are turned?
Old Feb 9, '12, 5:12 am
Veteran Member
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatholicMedic View Post
However, this does not seem to be the case. The article states that Depaul University was forced to provide these things following an EEOC complaint.
They added it because of a complaint, but they were not forced to by the federal government - there is a difference.
Old Feb 9, '12, 5:38 am
Forum Elder

I would like to repost this link to the passage in the Bible on spiritual warfare, as the other thread closed:

I have been thinking. I do not think President Obama is exercising his agenda here. I think the problem runs much deeper and as Christians we may be missing the point.

There is a strategy here that transcends politics. The president himself is being used by the forces of evil arrayed against the Kingdom of God. While political action is needed, I think it is far less important than spiritual action. Rather, we should heed the voice of St. Paul in Ephesians 6:101-20, and realize that this battle is not against flesh and blood. I encourage everyone to read this again in light of the current events, meditate upon the weapons we are to use, and join the real battle. I will link the chapter to make it easier.

http://www.usccb.org/bible/ephesians/6

Ephesians 6:10-20

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > Catholic News