Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 9, '12, 5:57 am
Banned

Default Catholic Bibles for iPad

When I first purchased my iPad, I bought a nice JPS Tanakh app through (I think) OliveTree. It was very nice since it was easy to navigate, each to search, you could highlight text, make notes, etc.. It even had a reading plan.

I'm looking for something similar in a Catholic Bible. I prefer the NABRE - but am open to reading anything except the Douay-Rheims. It'd be nice if it wasn't an ebook through Kindle or iBooks, but if that is all that is available then okay.
Old Feb 9, '12, 7:57 am
Veteran Member

Religion: Anti-marxist
Default Re: Catholic Bibles for iPad

I have an app (FREEEE!) called Holy Bible that literally contains almost every Bible you can think of. Just choose the version you want.

If you do a search in the App store for 'Bible,' this is probably the first to come up. Good luck.
Old Feb 24, '13, 5:27 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

There is a Catholic bible app from Just1Word. It's a great app. You can share verses, download bibles, and do more. O
Old Feb 26, '13, 7:31 pm
Inactive Member

Religion: Catholic

I have the NAB Revised and the Ignatious Catholic Study New Testament on my Kindle. Both with study notes. I love them. I also have the "the Word among us" which gives the daily Mass readings accompanied with a Meditation narrative. All great stuff.

Last edited by fisherex; Feb 26, '13 at 7:31 pm. Reason: typo
Old Feb 27, '13, 3:07 am
Observing Member

I use Verbum both on my iPad, iPhone and MacBook Pro. There is a free app for the iPhone and iPad, but you can also pay for additional resources depending on your needs. I especially like the ability to create reading lists like reading the Catechism of the a Catholic Church in a year, or reading the RSV Catholic Edition of the Bible in a year. All the versions give you the ability to notate and highlight or even create lists of notes that deal with apologetics, areas for further research, notes for papers, etc. All of the resources (bible translations, commentaries, council documents, writings of the early Church Fathers, etc.) are all interlinked so that when you are reading in the writings Saint Justin Martyr where he is describing the Holy Mass as it was being celebrated by the early Church in 155AD, there are links and references to the scripture that He quotes, other Church Fathers and other resources. The system is constantly being improved. There is even the ability for Priests or Deacons to use the system to help them create and research their homilies. The Verbum system is completely Catholic which is great and there is an ever growing library of resources to help grow in our beautiful faith. The system really sings when you open it on an actual laptop or desktop since that was what is was designed to take advantage of however it is also the best bible study app I have ever used on my phone or tablet. I tried many of the versions mentioned previously in this thread and while some of them had good qualities and aspects, they did not have the depth and functionality that Verbum offers. The only thing that is missing is the incense.
Old Mar 2, '13, 11:37 pm

Religion: Catholic

I'll have a look at some of the suggested bibles. I actually prefer the RSV whatever the latest version of that is, because it is said to be the most accurate translation.

Another useful resource is Laudate. It has the New American Bible and the Douay Rheims (I had already been using the NAB from the internet); but has lots of other information such as daily readings, prayers, catechism, Vatican documents, etc. You can also get that from the ipad Ap store, for free.
Old Mar 6, '13, 7:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecedar View Post
Another useful resource is Laudate. It has the New American Bible and the Douay Rheims (I had already been using the NAB from the internet); but has lots of other information such as daily readings, prayers, catechism, Vatican documents, etc. You can also get that from the ipad Ap store, for free.
I'm an Android user but I'll have to 2nd that. The Laudate App is fantastic, it has 2 Bibles, Douay Rheims and NAB. Has daily readings, and very complete. What I like most about it is how the Catechism of the Church is laid out. The web version Catechism even on the the Vatican website is not as easy to navigate and find specific terms. The Laudate Apps Catechism organizes the entire Catechism where you can jump to specific paragraphs, based on the number of the paragraph.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture