Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Popular Media

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 10, '12, 6:55 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Your view on "THE VIEW

To answer a question. I have watched parts of the shgow on a few ocasions. I have heard that Elizabeth Hasselbeck was antiCatholic, in spite of being raised Catholic. I don't remember who I heard it from, several years ago, but I took his word for it.
Old Feb 10, '12, 8:25 am
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK61 View Post
Sherri got very defensive. She said she was speaking as someone who had several abortions when she was younger. I can't remember her exact words but along the lines of not wanting to mess her kids up with her not able to support them.
I've heard this before and it makes me angry. I grew up in a VERY rough environment... and I am glad to be alive. I could easily look back on my childhood and be angry that I was born but instead I rejoice in the life I have been given.

People like this make me ANGRY. How dare you deny someone life just because you're worried they might have a rough start to it? Really? REALLY? That's the stupidest reason for an abortion I've ever heard.
Old Feb 10, '12, 9:28 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by horselvr View Post
Whoopie made movies. Joy is a comedian. They are all tv celebs. It's "hollywood" even if the show airs in NY, NC, NJ, Chicago.

I'm not trying to say those that live in Calif. are idiots. Only the stars that use their celeb status, (no matter where they live or where their show airs from) to push their own political agenda off on us little people because Lord knows we wouldn't know who to vote for or what the issues are if we don't have the likes of the View girls or Opra leading us around by the nose. It's all hollywood stuff.
Come to think of it, Whoopie used to do standup before she made it big in movies too. So three of them have very similar professional backgrounds. You'd think they would try to choose women of more diverse backgrounds... like maybe a businesswoman, a SAHM, a doctor, etc.
Old Feb 10, '12, 10:29 am
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havard View Post
Come to think of it, Whoopie used to do standup before she made it big in movies too. So three of them have very similar professional backgrounds. You'd think they would try to choose women of more diverse backgrounds... like maybe a businesswoman, a SAHM, a doctor, etc.
EXCEPT the Left defines "diversity" simply by skin color! The idea that a black woman would have more in common with a white woman because they share important demographics is anathema to the Left.

It's all about identity politics. So as they have various shades of skin tone on The View they can crow about having a 'diverse' perspective.

Lisa
Old Feb 10, '12, 10:47 am
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickybr38 View Post
I've heard this before and it makes me angry. I grew up in a VERY rough environment... and I am glad to be alive. I could easily look back on my childhood and be angry that I was born but instead I rejoice in the life I have been given.

People like this make me ANGRY. How dare you deny someone life just because you're worried they might have a rough start to it? Really? REALLY? That's the stupidest reason for an abortion I've ever heard.
No actually even stupider was the woman who wrote an article in the New York Times as I recall. She spoke of the horror of buying large jars of mayonnaise at Costco resulting from becoming a mother. She simply couldn't face that kind of demeaning existence and thus aborted her unborn child.

You see this same viewpoint among the View females. It's a particularly militant feminism, all about me and what I want, what makes me happy. The majority of the View hosts are of that mindset. Children of the 60s who never quite grew up.

Lisa
Old Feb 10, '12, 10:52 am
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaA View Post
No actually even stupider was the woman who wrote an article in the New York Times as I recall. She spoke of the horror of buying large jars of mayonnaise at Costco resulting from becoming a mother. She simply couldn't face that kind of demeaning existence and thus aborted her unborn child.

You see this same viewpoint among the View females. It's a particularly militant feminism, all about me and what I want, what makes me happy. The majority of the View hosts are of that mindset. Children of the 60s who never quite grew up.

Lisa
Ugh.

There really isn't anything else I can say in response to this... seriously? Life has been reduced to this?
Old Feb 10, '12, 11:14 am
Veteran Member

Quote:

Lisa
I remember that article. The women was pregnant with multiples (I don't recall if it was twins or triplets) She did not want to give up her job or her fancy Manhattan apartment and move to another borough. So she aborted all but one.

The Word became flesh, He lived among us, and we saw His glory, the glory that He has from the Father as only Son of the Father, full of grace and truth.
Old Feb 10, '12, 11:23 am
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Gail 36 View Post
I remember that article. The women was pregnant with multiples (I don't recall if it was twins or triplets) She did not want to give up her job or her fancy Manhattan apartment and move to another borough. So she aborted all but one.
Yep that's the one! I believe she had undergone IVF and they generally implant multiple embryos with the theory that there is a greater opportunity for a secure pregnancy to take place. I believe she only had twins and thus was deciding whether to 'reduce' or not. Obviously she had the financial wherewithall to obtain expensive fertility treatments (the moral of that practice is also questionable) and lived in an expensive apartment. So financially supporting both babies was not the issue, but rather the change in lifestyle. As I recall she didn't think her husband (partner? sperm donor?) should have any say in the decision as it was 'her body' and presumably her Costco card...UGH is right

Getting back to the thread, this attitude as also expressed by Sherri that unborn life can be taken for convenience is probably more representative of the View's hosts over the years.
They think they represent women in America but really only represent the attitude of Coastal Elites (Left Coast and East Coast). I really wonder who watches it and why...

Lisa
Old Feb 10, '12, 11:49 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Have to agree on the assesment of "Room Temperature IQ" levels.

The thing I most dislike about this show is that they frequently provide completely false information and go unchallenged. Sometimes Elisabeth Hasselback tries to interject a different point of view but they generally shoot her down. Other than Elisabeth I would say they are very much East Coast Leftist Elitist Feminists. I'm just sorry that people watching think this represents the majority of women and their points of view..

Lisa
I've seen the show enough times to form the opinion that the show's chosen format is to bring up topics of conversation for the sole purpose of provoking idle gossip and sparring between equally baseless opinions between the regulars. Sometimes they agree, sometimes they disagree, but the level of conversation that could be overheard between eight loud women having dinner and drinks at a bar and grill is not of a significantly different caliber. In the case of Joy Behar, her remarks are apparently not significantly different in decibel level, either. (They do seem to generate the noise level of eight women who've all had a few drinks, so I guess they're earning their paychecks in that sense. )

If I found myself sitting at a restaurant near to a group of women whose conversation was the equivalent to a taping of The View, I'm fairly certain I would have to ask to be moved as far away as possible.
Old Feb 10, '12, 12:17 pm

Quote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/07/18/ma...pagewanted=all

(For reference to those interested)
Old Feb 10, '12, 4:45 pm
Banned

Religion: Christian

Quote:
Have to agree on the assesment of "Room Temperature IQ" levels.

The thing I most dislike about this show is that they frequently provide completely false information and go unchallenged. Sometimes Elisabeth Hasselback tries to interject a different point of view but they generally shoot her down. Other than Elisabeth I would say they are very much East Coast Leftist Elitist Feminists. I'm just sorry that people watching think this represents the majority of women and their points of view..

Lisa

Agreed Thanks for everyone's comments. What's with the yelling too, they have the advantage with the camara(unless it's the camara man they're yelling at). Geez, I thought people were going to have a heart attack on that show(LOL).

Last edited by LoyalChristian; Feb 10, '12 at 4:59 pm.
Old Feb 10, '12, 5:18 pm
Prayer Warrior

A co-worker saw one of the women, and he doesn't know which one, insist that the Christians were here before the Jews. Was adamant about it, in fact. And this is who some people listen to for advice. No wonder things are the way they are in this country.

DGB
Old Feb 10, '12, 6:32 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/07/18/ma...pagewanted=all

(For reference to those interested)

My DD was born the summer that was written.

In a year or so her son can "google" his mom's name and find this out. How would a child feel knowing he had siblings that were killed because moving to Staten Island would have been awful?

The Word became flesh, He lived among us, and we saw His glory, the glory that He has from the Father as only Son of the Father, full of grace and truth.
Old Feb 10, '12, 7:01 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Elizabeth is the conservative, and she's also the youngest. She's married to Tim Hasselbeck, who had a brief career as NFL quarterback, and was a sports commentator, but I haven't seen him around recently.
He works for ESPN as a sports analyst. Apparently he has regular appearances on NFL Live and Sportscenter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini_me640 View Post
I'm not a fan of the show AT ALL, but are you sure on the bolded part? Elizabeth Hassebeck (the conservative) was raised Catholic and went to Boston College...
I haven't a clue as to whether she is anti-Catholic or not. However, the Catholic League isn't happy with her statements. Here is one comment about her swipe at the lack of female priests.
http://www.catholicleague.org/hasselbecks-problem/

I guess she has converted to a Protestant denomination.
Old Feb 10, '12, 7:33 pm
Book Club Member

Quote:

My DD was born the summer that was written.

In a year or so her son can "google" his mom's name and find this out. How would a child feel knowing he had siblings that were killed because moving to Staten Island would have been awful?
Oh my gosh....you are right! What a horror to know that the needle could have gone into your heart instead!

BTW did you notice the total lack of emotion when she stated she had a boy...not even a mention that he was a joy and a blessing. I've heard more emotion when a patient said they had a BM. The callous disregard for human life was disgusting but watching the screaming meemies on TV supporting "women's health" (they mean abortion of course) makes you realize this VIEW is not uncommon among east coast elites.

Lisa

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Popular Media