Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Eastern Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 9, '12, 10:30 pm
Banned
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic
Send a message via Yahoo to Anathama Sit
Default Re: What draws you to the Eastern Church?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByzCathCantor View Post
Fasting rules and custom vary somewhat between particular churches, but in general, the more that is given up, the more Orthodox the custom.

And I do mean that as a compliment to my EC brothers and sisters who follow paths that are more Orthodox than currp3w2muthenian practice (which excludes meat, cheese and dairy products). There are those like myself who try to stick to a more Orthodox fast voluntarily.
Orthodox meaning the more corrpct way??? I don't think you are using it to refer to the Orthodox Church right?
Old Feb 9, '12, 10:36 pm
Banned
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Greetings Couponfit,

Thank you for sharing with me what drew you to the Eastern Church? There is something that draws me to as well, but I don't know what it is.

When I get my other computer out of the shop, I will post more in length about why I drawn to learn more about my Eastern brothers and sisters.

I like how you said that you learn from looking at the similarities and not just the differences. This is how I am best trying to learn about the Eastern Churches myself, I feel if I focus on the differences I will lose so much, but if I can start out with our similarities I will gain much. There is much wisdom in what you said.

Ahhh yes the differences in Western and Eastern theology another question for another time.

God Bless,
Anathama Sit
Old Feb 9, '12, 10:37 pm
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Religion: Byzantine Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anathama Sit View Post
Orthodox meaning the more corrpct way??? I don't think you are using it to refer to the Orthodox Church right?
No, capital "O" meaning more like the Orthodox churches (original customs)
"Christ always gives his Church the gift of unity, but the Church must always pray and work to maintain, reinforce, and perfect the unity that Christ wills for her."- Catechism of the Catholic Church, "Toward Unity" (CCC 820)
Old Feb 9, '12, 10:44 pm
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

With respect to your LOTH inquiry, I have attached a file currently being distributed on a free trial basis by Eastern Christian Publications.

This is representative of the daily cycle of prayer corresponding to LOTH. We would refer to it as the Daily Office.

WARNING: Do not attempt to pray the Byzantine Daily Office in its entirety unless you can devote most of your day to prayer!

Seriously, I do hope you enjoy this!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Daily Office 10FEB2012G.pdf
Views:	22
Size:	502.7 KB
ID:	13002  
"Christ always gives his Church the gift of unity, but the Church must always pray and work to maintain, reinforce, and perfect the unity that Christ wills for her."- Catechism of the Catholic Church, "Toward Unity" (CCC 820)
Old Feb 9, '12, 10:45 pm
Banned
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
No, capital "O" meaning more like the Orthodox churches (original customs)
Oh okay. I am just not used to seeing Orthodox capitalized unless it referred to the Orthodox Church. Wow, this can all be very confusing at times. Good thing I have you and some of the others to help me through all of this.

Now I know that Orthodox means correct belief or practice. Might we come up with another word that we can use for this definition, so I won't get confused.
Old Feb 9, '12, 10:51 pm
Banned
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Greetings ByzCathCantor,

Thanks for the attached file. I looked through it and see why you gave the warning. I am accustomed to praying the LOTH offices all of them. Perhaps for today, I can try to pray the Daily Office. It will be interesting to do a side by side comparison.

If I was interested in getting the books, where would I need to go? I am assuming you can find these on Amazon?

Are you guys on a Three year cycle like the Western Church for Sundays? Do we have the same readings in Mass?

God Bless,
Anathama Sit
Old Feb 9, '12, 10:52 pm
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Oh okay. I am just not used to seeing Orthodox capitalized unless it referred to the Orthodox Church. Wow, this can all be very confusing at times. Good thing I have you and some of the others to help me through all of this.

Now I know that Orthodox means correct belief or practice. Might we come up with another word that we can use for this definition, so I won't get confused.

No worries! We do tend to use some "shorthand" in this sub-forum. Orthodox alone can mean people of the Orthodox faith and churches or their customs and tradition.

EC = Eastern Catholic
EO = Eastern Orthodox

And if we are speaking of something that both Eastern Catholics and Orthodox hold in common, we will typically apply the term "Eastern Christian"
Old Feb 9, '12, 10:54 pm

Quote:
With respect to your LOTH inquiry, I have attached a file currently being distributed on a free trial basis by Eastern Christian Publications.

This is representative of the daily cycle of prayer corresponding to LOTH. We would refer to it as the Daily Office.

WARNING: Do not attempt to pray the Byzantine Daily Office in its entirety unless you can devote most of your day to prayer!

Seriously, I do hope you enjoy this!
Incidentally one can also pray the hours provided by ECP by simply purchasing the "Publican's Prayer Book" for Morning and Evening Prayer, and the "Horologion" for the 1st, 3rd, 6th, and 9th Hours. Both books are published by Sophia Press of the Melkite Eparchy of Newton.

I understand there are plans for charging a fee for the PDF file from ECP. At the price I've seen quoted on the byzcath forums, one could purchase the above mentioned books for just a few dollars more and have them permanently without having to renew a subscription and incur ongoing costs.

On the other hand, you would not receive the daily reminder for prayer, and the books can be rather bulky to carry around throughout one's day.

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me.

Old Feb 9, '12, 10:55 pm
Banned
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Whoops the Creed is different from the Latin Creed? How come I feel this might open a big can of worms? It's the Filoque. Okay, I know this might spark debates, I guess what I am needing to answer this question is the perspective of why it is different from Eastern Catholics.

I know we we Western Catholics use "From the Father and the Son." What I don't know is why it is deleted in the East. What is the East's reasoning? I know William H. Carrol wrote about it in his History of Christendom series.
Old Feb 9, '12, 10:58 pm
Banned
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Greetings ByzCathCantor,

Ahhh this is so much easier to understand. Okay I can remember this. So if I want to convey something as a correct belief or an established belief, I will use those two words interchangably instead of orthodox belief.

God Bless,
Anathama Sit
Old Feb 9, '12, 10:59 pm
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Greetings ByzCathCantor,

Thanks for the attached file. I looked through it and see why you gave the warning. I am accustomed to praying the LOTH offices all of them. Perhaps for today, I can try to pray the Daily Office. It will be interesting to do a side by side comparison.

If I was interested in getting the books, where would I need to go? I am assuming you can find these on Amazon?

Are you guys on a Three year cycle like the Western Church for Sundays? Do we have the same readings in Mass?

God Bless,
Anathama Sit
The best compendium out there IMO is the Byzantine Daily Worship, by none other than your new favorite author, +Archbishop Joseph Raya. However, its a little hard to come by. Also, different particular churches may have their own version (the Ruthenians do not).

I do believe Eastern Christian Publications puts out a comprehensive volume. ECP is publishing this Daily Office file that I shared with you earlier.

And no three year cycle. The Byzantine Liturgical Year begins on September 1. There is a common cycle or worship and readings which varies only for moveable feast days (same reading for an individual feast, just matched to the date on which the moveable feast falls that calendar year).
Old Feb 9, '12, 11:00 pm
Banned
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Greetings Phillip Rolfes,

What would be awesome is a Kindle edition. Have you heard anything about this on the byzcath forums?

Thanks for sharing with me where to get these books. I have looked through the prayers that were sent that had to do with today, I find them so beautiful. I am thrilled to actually pray these.

God Bless,
Anathama Sit
Old Feb 9, '12, 11:01 pm

Quote:
Greetings ByzCathCantor,

God Bless,
Anathama Sit
The Byzantine liturgical cycle is VERY different from the current Roman cycle. It is just a one year cycle, much like the Roman cycle prior to Paul VI's revisions.

The main book for the celebration of the LOTH in the Byzantine tradition is the Horologion/Casoslav. As mentioned above, it is available from the Melkite Eparchy of Newton's publishing house, Sophia Press. But, in order to properly celebrate the Hours (especially Compline, Orthros/Matins, and Vespers) one would also need the other books as well. The Octoechos, Menaion, Lenten Triodion, and Pentecostarion are all essential for the celebration of the Hours.

The great thing about the Melkite's current edition of the Horologion is that it contains everything necessary to read the lesser Hours on one's own. It also contains the fixed prayers for Compline, Orthros/Matins, and Vespers, as well as some of the variable prayers. But in order to fully celebrate Compline, Orthros/Matins, and Vespers, one would need the Octoechos (Book of Eight Modes/Tones), the Menaion (texts for feasts of saints and fixed major feasts), the Lenten Triodion (texts for the Great Fast/Lent), and the Pentecostarion (the texts for the entire Easter season).

Some of the books can be found on Amazon, but you're better off going directly to the publisher in this situation.

If you do a side-by-side comparison of the Byzantine and Roman Offices, you will find almost no similarities, outside of the recitation of the Psalms.

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me.

Old Feb 9, '12, 11:03 pm
Banned
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Greetings ByzCathCantor,

Wow the New Year starts on September 1. That's interesting. Is there a significance to that. Is there a website that has the Eastern Church calendar in it?

I shall look into getting the book by Archbishop Raya. I want to look for more of his books when I finish The Face of God.

God Bless,
Anathama Sit
Old Feb 9, '12, 11:06 pm
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Rolfes View Post
Incidentally one can also pray the hours provided by ECP by simply purchasing the "Publican's Prayer Book" for Morning and Evening Prayer, and the "Horologion" for the 1st, 3rd, 6th, and 9th Hours. Both books are published by Sophia Press of the Melkite Eparchy of Newton.
Ah, I had almost forgotten, and the Melkite volumes are quite good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Rolfes View Post
I understand there are plans for charging a fee for the PDF file from ECP. At the price I've seen quoted on the byzcath forums, one could purchase the above mentioned books for just a few dollars more and have them permanently without having to renew a subscription and incur ongoing costs.
I'd have to agree. Jack Figel will have to take this into consideration at some point.

And no announced plans for smart phone apps, Kindle, etc. as yet, although that has been suggested to ECP ...

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Eastern Catholicism