Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > Catholic News

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 10, '12, 8:09 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Plea to Catholics of a Liberal Persuasion

While some of the agenda of the Liberal movement may seem to coincide with our Catholic teachings, the ultimate goal is a secular world ruled by government. I plead with all Catholics to learn from the latest attempt to undermine our religious freedoms in the HHS bill that the secular agenda will keep creating battles which will eventually erode the foundations of our fatih. Enclosed is an article which includes such a warning from the Pope.

http://www.catholic.org/national/nat...y.php?id=44578
Old Feb 10, '12, 8:42 am
Veteran Member

Religion: Anti-marxist
Default Re: Plea to Catholics of a Liberal Persuasion

Deaf ears. Liberalism trumps everything.
Old Feb 10, '12, 8:54 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Unfortunately, I don't expect you will find many, if any, of your intended audience here.

"While truth is unchanging, it changes those who encounter it." - Fr. Cedric Pisegna
Old Feb 10, '12, 9:45 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodigalson2011 View Post
Unfortunately, I don't expect you will find many, if any, of your intended audience here.
Oh, I disagree totally. There are alot of them, the "intended audience", here. Will it persuade them? Don't know. Keep praying.

The absence of morality leads to the enslavement of laws. -- Me

Servent of God, Fr. Capodanno, pray for him.

When you sell out Christ, evil has it's hour.
Old Feb 10, '12, 9:54 am

Ten years ago would you have thought that gay marriage would ever be so legitimized by society or the government? Today, the courts of Minnesota is challenging the sanctity of the confessional. What next? They nibble away at the Christian based norms on which our country and society is based upon. Little by little we see basic norms and beliefs brought up in a challenge as to the fairness of a minority of the population. they may loose the initial battle but now the issue is brought up as challengable. Over time plp choose sides based on what information we are presented by a secular news with agendas. Eventurally people become accepting of society changes over time eroding time honored norms of soicety .
Old Feb 10, '12, 10:40 am

what are the demographics of this board anyway? any poll threads on that?
Old Feb 10, '12, 1:37 pm
Veteran Member

Religion: Catholic - no buts.

Cardinal George's letter in our last weekend bulletin put it even more convincingly. This isn't an isolated event. The government is intruding further and further into religious liberties of Americans.

Please use your votes to STOP the erosion of our liberty and conscience rights.
Old Feb 10, '12, 2:55 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Christian in the Holy Catholic Church

It just hurts to know that liberals are so bent on destroying the Catholic Church. I mean, I lean liberal on politics (lean slightly, much more moderate), but when the true liberals (i.e socially liberal modern day liberals) show how much they don't like the Church and western civilization, it's just so maddening.

Old Feb 10, '12, 3:17 pm
Veteran Member

Religion: Catholic - no buts.

Me too. I have to politically choose between people who want to murder babies or treat desperately poor Mexicans like animals.

For now, I have to vote against the murderers. But I want better options.
Old Feb 10, '12, 3:46 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Guy View Post
It just hurts to know that liberals are so bent on destroying the Catholic Church. I mean, I lean liberal on politics (lean slightly, much more moderate), but when the true liberals (i.e socially liberal modern day liberals) show how much they don't like the Church and western civilization, it's just so maddening.
I was once regarded as a liberal. I haven't changed my thinking to speak of, but the whole notion of liberalism has changed.

Back when I was a Democrat officeholder, I was a "true believer" in the "liberalism" of the time, and not without some justification. My particular focus was on the truly poor, particularly those who could not help themselves; the disabled needy. Long ago, the Dem party really did stand for that. That, of course, was back when things could be done at the "grass roots" and not everything came out of Washington in broad policy moves.

But, not since Ronald Reagan's Earned Income Credit has either party done anything for the truly poor. Both parties, but the Dem party more than the Repub party, has spent a lot of money on middle class and uber-upper class welfare. But what did the disabled needy get? Nothing.

So here we are in a system in which Warren Buffet and his like can get Social Security and Medicare, when a disabled person with nothing has to get by on $600/month. This administration has increased the Medicaid recipients and emphasized the 'well care" mostly utilized by the middle and upper classes, which crowds out the most needy Medicaid recipients and makes it increasingly difficult to get care for the chronically ill, most especially the disabled.

This government has loaned $2 billion to a Brazilian oil company in which George Soros has a major stake. Nancy Pelosi's nephew gets a multimillion loan guarantee and worthless Solyndra gets tax credits and government loan guarantees.

None of that squares with the "liberalism" of my earlier days. What "liberalism" stands for now is abortion, homosexual marriage, middle class welfare and "pay to play". Nothing else.
Old Feb 10, '12, 4:05 pm
Veteran Member

Religion: Anti-marxist

Quote:
Originally Posted by manualman View Post

Me too. I have to politically choose between people who <snip> treat desperately poor Mexicans like animals.
I would dispute that. Establish who you think is treating them as such, and what the details of that claim are.
Old Feb 10, '12, 4:38 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic (Latin Rite)

Progressivism has nothing to do with Liberalism in the literal or classical sense. You'll find a larger base for that among the Libertarians and the Conservatives than the Progressives. Progressives are Statists, first and foremost. Progressives are Libertines, not Liberals, and their "Progress" is a jackboot forced-march right off a cliff.

- Marty Lund
Old Feb 10, '12, 8:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by manualman View Post
Me too. I have to politically choose between people who want to murder babies or treat desperately poor Mexicans like animals.

For now, I have to vote against the murderers. But I want better options.
You need to study Catholism more. Much more.

The absence of morality leads to the enslavement of laws. -- Me

Servent of God, Fr. Capodanno, pray for him.

When you sell out Christ, evil has it's hour.
Old Feb 10, '12, 9:49 pm
Banned

Religion: A Christianity that doesn't exclude nor drives liberals away

Define "Catholics".
Old Feb 11, '12, 5:10 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cursilista View Post
While some of the agenda of the Liberal movement may seem to coincide with our Catholic teachings, the ultimate goal is a secular world ruled by government. I plead with all Catholics to learn from the latest attempt to undermine our religious freedoms in the HHS bill that the secular agenda will keep creating battles which will eventually erode the foundations of our fatih. Enclosed is an article which includes such a warning from the Pope.

http://www.catholic.org/national/nat...y.php?id=44578
I have not read the entire bill, but I don't see how my religious freedom would be impacted. And I don't see how the agenda of a minority, or even a majority of voters can erode the foundations of my faith. If these concerns were real the foundations of faith would have been washed away long, long ago. Look at Poland's history in the twentieth century. At midcentury it was ruled by a secular, communist, government of immense power, yet the foundations of the faith remained rock solid; Look at Russia, in spite of Lenin, Stalin and others, the Russian Orthodox Church is back in strength. Foundations of faith are not obliterated by the stroke of a legislative pen. Nothing I have read about the HHS bill requires any Catholic to use contraception, or do anything else that violates his or her beliefs.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > Catholic News