Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Vocations

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 10, '12, 11:08 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Seminary Life

From what I can see from the site, the F.S.S.P. don't have such classes. They don't require going to college beforehand, and it only lasts seven years, instead of the usual eight. And even then, the first year is spent on spirituality and forming you to the life, so you only do school for six years. Quite a good plan if you ask me. No more equations and cells for the rest of my life...
Old Feb 11, '12, 5:44 am

Send a message via Skype™ to MPSchneiderLC
Lightbulb Re: Seminary Life

Seminary is not just studies, otherwise it would be called college.

The spiritual and pastoral formation is mainly out of the classroom and varies a lot by diocese or community. For instance, as a Legionary, I went out and ran youth clubs for 4 years between philosophy and theology.

As far as studies, theology in Rome is only three years but it is intense (20 credit hours most semesters).

As far as math, literature, and things beyond pastoral, philosophy, and theology. Think of the souls you are called to save! A priest needs to have at least a basic grasp of other things to reach souls.

Studies can vary in religious communities: for instance we do an AA (I think the title is religious studies and classical humanities) over a two year novitiate and one year of humanities, then we do an intense two-year philosophy program. However, few communities have the resources to do this all in-house like we do.

Going to seminary is giving your time to God, so one needs to give generously.

Fr Matthew, P. Schneider, LC

Read my thoughts on youth ministry at ProjectYM.
Read my posts on life in the seminary as part of Regnum Christi Live.

Ordained a priest December 14th, 2013.
Old Feb 11, '12, 7:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPSchneiderLC View Post
Seminary is not just studies, otherwise it would be called college.

The spiritual and pastoral formation is mainly out of the classroom and varies a lot by diocese or community. For instance, as a Legionary, I went out and ran youth clubs for 4 years between philosophy and theology.

As far as studies, theology in Rome is only three years but it is intense (20 credit hours most semesters).

As far as math, literature, and things beyond pastoral, philosophy, and theology. Think of the souls you are called to save! A priest needs to have at least a basic grasp of other things to reach souls.

Studies can vary in religious communities: for instance we do an AA (I think the title is religious studies and classical humanities) over a two year novitiate and one year of humanities, then we do an intense two-year philosophy program. However, few communities have the resources to do this all in-house like we do.

Going to seminary is giving your time to God, so one needs to give generously.
I'll give generally, but I don't like liberal arts colleges. If you go to college to become an historian, you'll be doing algebra and science for two years. That's a waste of time in my eyes. I came there to learn about history, not to get knowledge in everything. Besides, the FSSP don't do this.
Old Feb 11, '12, 8:13 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATeutonicKnight View Post
From what I can see from the site, the F.S.S.P. don't have such classes. They don't require going to college beforehand, and it only lasts seven years, instead of the usual eight. And even then, the first year is spent on spirituality and forming you to the life, so you only do school for six years. Quite a good plan if you ask me. No more equations and cells for the rest of my life...
OK, that's what I expected - our "disagreement" is due to you talking about a specific order, and I/others are talking about diocesan priesthood. For some reason I got the impression the OP was talking about diocesan, but who knows; now he has both perspectives.

Quote:
I'll give generally, but I don't like liberal arts colleges. If you go to college to become an historian, you'll be doing algebra and science for two years. That's a waste of time in my eyes. I came there to learn about history, not to get knowledge in everything. Besides, the FSSP don't do this.
Hmmm...I think you have much to learn if you think going to a liberal arts college is a waste of time. You should find out (from someone more knowledgeable than me) why getting a liberal arts education can be and is very beneficial.
Old Feb 11, '12, 11:45 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
I would disagree. A good deal of Catholic Colleges, and Universities also are Liberal Art Colleges. Liberal Arts Colleges (Catholic ones) like to say we don't just prepare a person for a job, but for learning how to become a better person.. Also the current leader of the FSSP went to a Liberal Arts College (Thomas Aquinas in California). So I think he'd disagree that a Liberal Arts College is a waste of time..
Old Feb 11, '12, 8:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TradCatholic7 View Post
I would disagree. A good deal of Catholic Colleges, and Universities also are Liberal Art Colleges. Liberal Arts Colleges (Catholic ones) like to say we don't just prepare a person for a job, but for learning how to become a better person.. Also the current leader of the FSSP went to a Liberal Arts College (Thomas Aquinas in California). So I think he'd disagree that a Liberal Arts College is a waste of time..
They can be very useful. But for me, I'm not very good at math and science, and I do not want to be denied of my vocation because I can't remember what E equals. Seminaries didn't use to make Priests do this, and I don't know why they would now. Why would they want to make the less scholastic-minded people such as myself worry that I cannot be a Priest because I'll fail a math class?
Old Feb 12, '12, 4:00 am

Quote:
I think this may point to a deeper issue. What image of the priesthood does one have?

If one views it just on the level of one's own personal holiness, such things are extras.

However, I would think that there are three problems with such a reduction of the vocation.
1. To be a true ALTER CHRISTUS not just during mass, one should try to have a well-rounded personality
2. These things are key for reaching souls today as a missionary in the modern world.
3. JP2 in Pastores Dabo Vobis gives four areas of pristly formation: Intellectual (which includes general cultutre not just philosophy and theology), pastoral, spiritual, and human (which refers to how a priest is a complete man not just a theologian who prays).

P.s. for those who are looking for a personal experience of seminary life, click the link in my signature and read my posts (there are several others who post other things on the same blog).

Old Feb 12, '12, 5:57 am

Smile Re: Seminary Life

Let me just give you my ppersonal experience of such studies. I was the opposite of those here suggesting Math is not needed; I found literature and foreign languages useless and needless difficult while I was studying computer engineering when I heard the call.

During novitiate we had: Latin, Greek, Spanish (official language of the congregation), Cristology, spirit of the Legion, gregorian chant, and a few minor course.

For the year of humanities: Before my time in the Legion we did no science and math but they were a required part of an acredited AA degree - I was exempt since my computer engineering studies covered this requirement 5 times over. I think it was accounting (or math) and a history of scientific theories (not calculations but a summary of major ideas so that when someone mentions "String theory" you have some idea what they are talking about).

We continued Latin, Greek, Spanish, and Gregorian Chant. We added public speaking (preaching), English composition, a survey of literature, and a survey of world history.

Despite my intial reserves about foreign languages and literature, doing this courses really helped me become a more complete man, and hence better prepared to be a priest today.

Old Feb 12, '12, 7:16 am

Quote:
So you are now leaning towards the FSSP?

In any case, priests need to be functioning members of society and this includes competancy in areas of study not directly related to performing the sacramental functions of the Priesthood.

Also, if you have a true vocation, God would not permit something like math to get in your way. Seminaries want their seminarians to succeed and I would believe that any amount of academic assistance would be given if the administration felt that the student had a true calling.

"tough love thy neighbor as thyself. Get your own loaves and fishes!"- Stephen Colbert
Old Feb 12, '12, 1:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringil View Post
Also, if you have a true vocation, God would not permit something like math to get in your way. Seminaries want their seminarians to succeed and I would believe that any amount of academic assistance would be given if the administration felt that the student had a true calling.
That's what I wanted to say.
Old Feb 13, '12, 6:05 pm

Religion: catholic

For a priest who is going to become a pastor, I would say math is a necessity since he is going to be dealing with major financial details and running of a parish. Also today's laity are highly educated and a priest needs to be able to converse with parishioners on a variety of subjects. In dealing with contemporary moral issues, especially bio-ethical, one needs to understand what one is talking about not just parroting Church teaching. People will know if you really know what you are talking about.

I know priests in our diocese with degrees in finance (lots of math there). They were made pastors much sooner than other priests because they had what it takes to basically run a business and well as to pastor a community.

A priest in today's world needs to be well rounded. A good liberal arts education provides him that.
Old Feb 14, '12, 12:27 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic

Actually, seminarians can major in math or in a particular science, possibilities which are probably more common amongst religious orders, particularly teaching ones like the Congregation of Holy Cross.

As a Holy Cross seminarian at the Old College Undergraduate Seminary at Notre Dame, one's discernment revolves around five pillars: human, spiritual, intellectual, pastoral, and community formation.

At Old College, one either attends Notre Dame or Holy Cross College to earn the necessary credits for a bachelor's degree in a specific field. I'm hoping to major in French whilst my roommate wants to pursue aerospace engineering. So you see, you're really free to major in a field of interest as long as it doesn't interfere with your formation. The requirements are that you take 30 credit hours of philosophy and 12 credits of theology. This also means that you have to take general education courses in science, math, literature, etc.

During a seminarian's three years at Old College, he participates in Holy Cross community life by attending communal dinners, Lucernarium, hosting soirées after Log Chapel Mass, and other activities as he gets to know priests, brothers, sisters, and students from Notre Dame, Holy Cross College, and St. Mary's College. He's also assigned a particular obedience that he performs to maintain the upkeep of the seminary (e.g. cleaning the Sorin Study, kitchen duty, etc.). First-year seminarians engage in a ministry placement at Holy Cross House, the retirement home for elderly priests and brothers of the Congregation. Second-year seminarians then proceed by serving as catechists in South Bend parishes in conjunction with Notre Dame's Campus Ministry program. Third-year seminarians must propose a ministry placement to the rector. All of this is supplemented by weekly formation nights, spiritual direction, regular meetings with formation staff, and scheduled retreats.

Fourth-year Old Collegians enter Moreau Seminary (the major seminary at Notre Dame) for their candidate year which is also their senior year at either ND or HCC. After receiving a bachelor's degree, then Holy Cross seminarians enter the novitiate for one year and return to Moreau to obtain a Master's in Divinity. It takes about 9-10 years before ordination and profession of final vows.

The Congregation of Holy Cross may be different in regards to its emphasis on education and involvement on college campuses, which reflect its academic charism, but most seminaries also place great importance on taking a holistic approach to the formation of a seminarian.
Old Feb 16, '12, 6:24 pm

Smile Re: Seminary Life

Hey,

The life in an eight year seminary depend on country and then on diocese.
It's better for you to ask more information from the vocation centre of your diocese or directly to the seminary.
They will give you all the courses, but in general you have : theology, philosophy, languages, pastoral, local culture...

Gob bless you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfantzac View Post
What is life in an eight year seminary like? I know that you go to daily mass and Sunday mass. But what else. What are the normal classes you would take? Cannon Law, Latin, Math? Thanks In Advance.

In Christ,
Zachary Pfantz

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Vocations