Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > World News

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 12, '12, 10:03 am
Veteran Member
Greeter

Religion: Catholic Convert
Send a message via MSN to LegoGE1947 Send a message via Yahoo to LegoGE1947
Default Re: Gay Rights come before Religious Freedom - UK Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter Victor View Post
lol not yours!
You may not like it but He is YOUR God too. Too bad you don't have the good grace to accept Him! We'll all bow the knee to God someday Some of us just choose to do so now rather than later.
Old Feb 12, '12, 10:21 am

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinkPink View Post

You know a thread has suffered from a major derail if bacon pops up in a discussion of political issues.
I guess she did sort of derail the thread, but in a certain way she didn't. The thread does deal with religious freedom, and the UK did have a case within the past 2 years regarding religious freedom and BACON.

http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=505764

The difference is that the religious group were Muslims, not Christians, so of course the government fawned all over them.
Old Feb 12, '12, 10:53 am

I see. Planning consent issues as reported by the guttersnipe press aren't comparable here, I think.
Old Feb 12, '12, 10:56 am

Excellent analysis, although I don't know if the owners were Catholic, but I am, and so I myself would probably rent the room to fornicators or homosexuals, regardless of their ages. But whatever the denomination of the owners, it's not difficult to figure out why they did it, and the government sided against Christian morality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewEnglandPries View Post
In Catholic moral theology, I'm not even sure renting the room to a couple engaging in immoral sexual acts would be considered immoral cooperation with evil unless the rooms were being rented specifically for that purpose. It would seem to be a case of remote material cooperation, which is permitted.

1. The renting of a room to 2 persons is inherently morally neutral.

2. The renting of 2 rooms v. 1 room doesn't solve the problem since they can still technically have immoral relations in 1 of the 2 rooms.

3. There is not any reason to believe they would necessarily be engaging in sexual immorality in the room. Just because they are in an immoral relationship does not mean they will have sexual relations in that particular room on that particular night(s).

4. The hotel/motel does not have as its purpose the furthering of sexual immorality. Nor do the owners agree with the immorality.

Given basic Catholic moral theology, it would not be a "violation of their religious freedom" to be legally forced to rent a room to a gay couple or an unmarried heterosexual couple.
Old Feb 12, '12, 10:56 am

Religion: Catholic as of Easter 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by saraih View Post
I see. Planning consent issues as reported by the guttersnipe press aren't comparable here, I think.
Agreed. I have heard cases of restaurants actually being forced to close down or modify their buildings because of the smells wafting out of them irritating neighbors. And yup, I'd hardly get worked up by anything printed in the Daily Mail.
Old Feb 12, '12, 11:03 am
Veteran Member
Greeter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinkPink View Post
Agreed. I have heard cases of restaurants actually being forced to close down or modify their buildings because of the smells wafting out of them irritating neighbors. And yup, I'd hardly get worked up by anything printed in the Daily Mail.
That paper must have about the same amount of integrity as the National Enquirer.
Old Feb 12, '12, 11:05 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegoGE1947 View Post
That paper must have about the same amount of integrity as the National Enquirer.
I thought it was closer to HuffPo.
Old Feb 12, '12, 11:15 am
Veteran Member
Greeter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatholicBoy1957 View Post
Well, that too! Or the Onion!
Old Feb 12, '12, 11:16 am

Religion: Catholic as of Easter 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatholicBoy1957 View Post
It's a tabloid which exists for the sole purpose of publishing celebrity news, gossip, the latest missing white girl stories, and promoting xenophobia.
Old Feb 12, '12, 11:34 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inego de Loyola View Post
This is why Britain needs a set constitution; as it stands now any act of parliament holds constitutional weight.

No, the current system works fine. Any act is debated in both chambers, and can be tested in the CourtsIt allows us an on-going developement, such as the place of the monarch, which, had it been cast in a set constitution, would be have been difficult to change, which it has done, radically, since the civil war.
Old Feb 12, '12, 11:41 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
This is why Britain needs a set constitution; as it stands now any act of parliament holds constitutional weight.
And of course America could really use a return to a monarchy right now. It would be ever so much better. Oh hang on, my tongue seems to have got wedged firmly in the corner of me mouth.

We have a written constitution where I come from, it works from us, but as an independent state we have developed differently than either America or when we were under British rule. I think we should leave the British to decide what their country needs not outsiders.
Old Feb 12, '12, 1:35 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Petrine Catholic
Send a message via Skype™ to Inego de Loyola

Quote:
Originally Posted by JharekCarnelian View Post
And of course America could really use a return to a monarchy right now. It would be ever so much better. Oh hang on, my tongue seems to have got wedged firmly in the corner of me mouth.
Unfortunately that would likely be in the form of a tyranny rather than a kingship if our current Chief Servant has anything to do with it. As I follow the Aristotelian school of political philosophy, I would certainly agree if we had a good prospect for a king.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JharekCarnelian View Post
We have a written constitution where I come from, it works from us, but as an independent state we have developed differently than either America or when we were under British rule. I think we should leave the British to decide what their country needs not outsiders.
As an Irishman myself I definitely agree. By the way, through my mothers side I'm Irish nobility, so if you happen to need a king I'm willing to throw my name in the hat.

P.S. I'm Also Cajun so on both sides of the family it's instinctive to distrust the British.
Old Feb 12, '12, 2:59 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Our constitutional system is fine as it is. It is the judiciary we have problems with.

Hail Mary, Full of Grace
the Lord is with You
Blessed are You amongst women
and Blessed is the Fruit of Thy womb, JESUS
Old Feb 12, '12, 5:19 pm
Veteran Member
Greeter

Quote:
lol he is not my god! u may believe what you like but I am not under his authority anymore than a Hindu or a Buddhist is!

frankly I find your statement offensive and is goes to show Catholics really don't honour freedom of religion.

and for the record I was bought up a Catholic, Eastern Catholic Father, Latin Catholic Mother...I know exactly what Ive rejected and as much I respect your faith on a personal level, I have no intention of bowing to him again!
Gudsundtheit!
Old Feb 12, '12, 5:33 pm
Veteran Member
Greeter

Quote:
lol he is not my god! u may believe what you like but I am not under his authority anymore than a Hindu or a Buddhist is!

frankly I find your statement offensive and is goes to show Catholics really don't honour freedom of religion.

and for the record I was bought up a Catholic, Eastern Catholic Father, Latin Catholic Mother...I know exactly what Ive rejected and as much I respect your faith on a personal level, I have no intention of bowing to him again!
For the record if it weren't for the Catholic Church we'd have no freedom of religion. We'd all be Muslims. It was the Catholic Church and Catholic people who turned the Muslims back at the Battle of Lepanto with the help of this God you reject. Also I can't convert you--I can't even convert myself. I'm not part of Administration just Sales.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > World News